-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
watch4bear, thank you for making my point so eloquently! I'm always grateful to those who provide support for me in a discussion.

Last edited by 300_savage; 04/17/17.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
de nada

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pappy, same girl? Can you make that pic a little bigger?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by papat

Actually a return to Lin Chi-ling. The other b&w pic was Liu Shi Shi, aka Cecilia Lui, a younger Chinese hottie. Someone else requested a return to Ms. Lin, possibly because the other pic showed no bazoobas.

Any search engine will provide you with all the Asian pulchritude you could desire. Limits on file size for avatars make resizing or posting thumbnails neccessary. My avatar is a thumnail, so it gets kinda pixely if you enlarge it. Here's a couple to hold you until you find your own.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/18/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see why new members leave quickly if they're thin skinned.

When I was VERY new on this forum, I posted about having a new .243 rifle that I won in a raffle and having a 1:9.25 rate of twist.

IMMEDIATELY, an well established person on this forum, with 85,000+ post's, jumped on me and told me that I was young, dumb and full of schit.

Well, I ignored this person... But as you can see at the Savage website - Savage rifles chambered in .243 Win do come in 1:9.25 twist.

Some day's we're all to happy to rip off someones head and schit down their necks. But when it's a new member, they just leave and never come back.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Great post, Hi_Vel, and spot on.

You live in a area where some great sportsmen live. I envy your access to guys of that caliber. Enjoy them while there's time to do so, their time and your time...

Time is one commodity we can't replace, buy any more of...

When it's gone, it's gone...

DF

DF, JG, and WYO, thank you for the good words. i really enjoy reading all of your posts--i'm amazed at the talents that each of you have.

DF, i remember you quoted that to me many years ago, and i've not forgotten it. a very good concept, "signature line" material for sure...

conceptually, when we "draw lines through the people that we know", the intersection of all those lines appears to be "our place" in the scheme of things.

to meet, and then know--guys like Bill B., Bob S., Mule Deer, shrapnel, scenarshooter, etc., is a pretty fortunate situation indeed--my place. but it happens because it happens, without any striving...

the campfire is still a good place, with a lot of great guys. the thing that i wish is that there were more "in depth" discussions of the various topics, rather than surface issues such as, "look at my new grips", or "check out my new scope". it's like reading Jack and Jill, or Dick and Jane. these are ok in a sense, especially for beginners--but they cannot whet the appetite for long--and at some point it has to be more--getting to the meat and potatos...

the guys that were talking about in this thread offer "the more--the meat and potatos"...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hi_Vel,

I think there are some in depth discussions on certain topics. I'll admit they don't come along every day, but when they do it's great.

There have been productive discussions on various rounds, the 26 Nosler and 6.5 Creedmoor come to mind.

Custom guns like Butch's latest build, that beautiful .404J, come along every now and then, well worth the wait.

JB's stuff is always good, as are posts by others such as .458Win. I enjoyed JGRaider's excellent Safari post, "I Suck". Beautiful photography, great trophies.

I've only mentioned a few off the top of my head, but IMO, those are worth tolerating the less than productive stuff, the chicken bones that we spit out... grin

The meat is really good...

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hate that I don't get to read the 2 gentlemen who have been mentioned. It was not long after I got on here that I posted on a thread that I was enjoying reading. Well...when the next tirade was given by someone who apparently is limited to 1 post a day (for obvious reasons), I was mentioned in his next post. I just laughed it off. I'm a pastor so my skin has hardened a bit in the last 20 years. I have wondered at times at some of the silliest of arguments. But I hope that some of the guys who post a lot will keep posting as I really enjoy the site. I'll say this, that a lot of the petty stuff comes (IMO) from those who have practical experience and those who look at things from the technical side. And I enjoy reading both sides of things.

Last edited by Ruger77Shooter; 04/18/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by papat

... a younger Chinese hottie.

No thanks Pappy, got one of those at home. She tagged along when Her mom gave me Yellow Fever and she won't leave.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I hate that I don't get to read the 2 gentlemen who have been mentioned. It was not long after I got on here that I posted on a thread that I was enjoying reading. Well...when the next tirade was given by someone who apparently is limited to 1 post a day (for obvious reasons), I was mentioned in his next post. I just laughed it off. I'm a pastor so my skin has hardened a bit in the last 20 years. I have wondered at times at some of the silliest of arguments. But I hope that some of the guys who post a lot will keep posting as I really enjoy the site. I'll say this, that a lot of the petty stuff comes (IMO) from those who have practical experience and those who look at things from the technical side. And I enjoy reading both sides of things.

You're obviously referring to our resident lunatic Big Stick. wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me too, at least a heckuva lot younger than me! Nothing like 'em.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's called freedom of speech.

If a person cannot learn to scroll past the drivel to find the nuggets, then they probably shouldn't bother being here as it shows weakness/insecurity on their part.

There comes a certain responsibility to contribute to an organization/site/job/church/party whether or not there are idiots in the midst. That's life. And life's duty. For a good man, even on the internet.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well said. I don't have anybody on "ignore," partly because those who post troll-drivel are often quoted by others on the same thread anyway. It's easier to move on to more useful or entertaining posts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well said. I don't have anybody on "ignore," partly because those who post troll-drivel are often quoted by others on the same thread anyway. It's easier to move on to more useful or entertaining posts.

Yep, it's pretty easy to figure out what various trolls' rants are by the posts that follow.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 300_savage
... some questions are obviously from folks who either are new to shooting and reloading, or maybe, just aren't as ardent a hobbyist as we are. Their questions seem glaringly obvious. But those folks are just wanting a little advice, and it seems to me the polite thing is to give them an honest answer in a polite fashion. 95% of the Campfire folks do just that!

This is clearly where I am. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, I spent what seemed like every waking moment in the woods, hunting mostly small game and birds. When I went off to college, I scheduled as many classes as I could so several of us could hunt the mornings and late afternoons, mostly ducks but a few birds here and there as well. At the same time, I was working in local gunshop in order to help pay my way through both undergraduate and grad school.

Even though I spent more time reading books by Leffingwell and George Bird Evans than I did any of my accounting books, I actually did graduate with a couple of degrees. However, about that time things also began to change. I spent virtually all my time building a career, resulting in almost thirty years as a Certified Public Accountant, the last 20+ as a tax partner in the firm. Also, for about the last fifteen or so years of my time in practice, I was also the Rector of a small Anglican parish church, and between the two I didn't have much time for anything else.

Eventually, though, I left the firm to become the first full time Rector of the church, and when I did I found that I finally had enough spare time on my hands to once again take to the woods. However, by that time, a lot had changed and I found that I not only have to learn new things, but also relearn a lot of what I'd forgotten. Thankfully, the internet and forums like this, with some really good and patient people on them, have been a huge help towards making that happen.

Thank to all for your responses and patience.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There are plenty that excuse poor behavior and contempt as just another chicken bone. The truth of the matter is, chicken bones are one thing, but caustic and filthy remarks are more like maggots in your chicken wings, and some would rather pass.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by 300_savage
... some questions are obviously from folks who either are new to shooting and reloading, or maybe, just aren't as ardent a hobbyist as we are. Their questions seem glaringly obvious. But those folks are just wanting a little advice, and it seems to me the polite thing is to give them an honest answer in a polite fashion. 95% of the Campfire folks do just that!

This is clearly where I am. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, I spent what seemed like every waking moment in the woods, hunting mostly small game and birds. When I went off to college, I scheduled as many classes as I could so several of us could hunt the mornings and late afternoons, mostly ducks but a few birds here and there as well. At the same time, I was working in local gunshop in order to help pay my way through both undergraduate and grad school.

Even though I spent more time reading books by Leffingwell and George Bird Evans than I did any of my accounting books, I actually did graduate with a couple of degrees. However, about that time things also began to change. I spent virtually all my time building a career, resulting in almost thirty years as a Certified Public Accountant, the last 20+ as a tax partner in the firm. Also, for about the last fifteen or so years of my time in practice, I was also the Rector of a small Anglican parish church, and between the two I didn't have much time for anything else.

Eventually, though, I left the firm to become the first full time Rector of the church, and when I did I found that I finally had enough spare time on my hands to once again take to the woods. However, by that time, a lot had changed and I found that I not only have to learn new things, but also relearn a lot of what I'd forgotten. Thankfully, the internet and forums like this, with some really good and patient people on them, have been a huge help towards making that happen.

Thank to all for your responses and patience.

RM

Rev,

You were a hopeless Loony, back in your misspent youth... cry

Now, in your second life as a man of the cloth, look what a fertile repertoire of sermons you now have... blush

Nothing is wasted if put to good use...

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now, in your second life as a man of the cloth, look what a fertile repertoire of sermons you now have... blush

DF

Yeah, there's entire repertoire of stories and sermon illustrations that end with, "I wasn't always a priest...." blush

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike

DF

Yeah, there's entire repertoire of stories and sermon illustrations that end with, "I wasn't always a priest...." blush

laugh

I would think some of those are real jewels... wink

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

You're obviously referring to our resident lunatic Big Stick. wink

Maybe I made that a little too easy!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.