Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

What we are seeing here is freedom of speech and freedom of speech always contains within it the possibility for hearing (or reading) things one doesn’t like. We could become 24 Hour Snowflake Site and ban people who might say things that offend us, that’s exactly what’s happening on liberal college campuses these days. People want someone else to protect them from things they don’t want to hear. So what happens when those people decide that what you (the you of whoever reads this) are saying is unacceptable?

The ONLY way to squash a troll is to NOT RESPOND. but people's egos are so huge and controlling they think they are actually hurting these trolls by responding and calling them names. NO - trolls don't care what kind of attention they receive as long as they receive attention. So the big egos and those angry at what they say feed them a banquet here instead of starving them which is the ONLY way to get rid of a troll.

Other people have freedom of speech, we have freedom of choice.
Very well stated, Jim.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

What we are seeing here is freedom of speech and freedom of speech always contains within it the possibility for hearing (or reading) things one doesn’t like. We could become 24 Hour Snowflake Site and ban people who might say things that offend us, that’s exactly what’s happening on liberal college campuses these days. People want someone else to protect them from things they don’t want to hear. So what happens when those people decide that what you (the you of whoever reads this) are saying is unacceptable?

The ONLY way to squash a troll is to NOT RESPOND. but people's egos are so huge and controlling they think they are actually hurting these trolls by responding and calling them names. NO - trolls don't care what kind of attention they receive as long as they receive attention. So the big egos and those angry at what they say feed them a banquet here instead of starving them which is the ONLY way to get rid of a troll.

Other people have freedom of speech, we have freedom of choice.
Very well stated, Jim.

+ 2

That's the reason I QUIT responding to Schitck + mostly skip his posts.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yeah, there's entire repertoire of stories and sermon illustrations that end with, "I wasn't always a priest...." blush

laugh

I would think some of those are real jewels... wink

DF

The 'jewels' we don't talk about. eek

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
On the other hand, one of the attractions of the Campfire for some members is the lack of heavy-handed moderators.

I agree with this. I am a moderator on a number of sites, and it is easy to kill a forum with moderating that is too enthusiastic. This site polices itself to a large degree.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's less drama here than other boards, but there are several things that I believe everyone should keep in mind.
---

Experience levels are different. Be nice. If a poster is not clear, help him communicate his idea. And don't preach!

People check in from all over. Never hunted a kangaroo? A moose? Read more. Speak less.

The animal might be the same (whitetails), but the topography is different. A poster hunts whitetails in Ontario, Canada in thick cover. You live on the plains and have never seen a whitetail up close. Read more. Speak less.

Nosler Partitions are not the only bullet to use. Not every animal is wearing Kevlar. Some people cannot afford them. Others don't like their performance.

Equipment like scopes, bullets, rifles or reloading gear. Not everyone can afford, or needs a $2,000 scope, a $2000 rifle or a Forster press. This board is supposed to be about hunting, not who can spend the most money on gear.

Some people have less schooling than others, and may not tipe or spel properly. It's not about correcting their spelling or grammar. Or worse, chiding them about "being stupid". It's about helping and exchanging ideas in a thoughtful way. Think before you respond.

The best part of a campfire - a real hunting campfire - is sitting around with friends and enjoying their company in a shared experience. Some of you would do well to remember that.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
On the other hand, one of the attractions of the Campfire for some members is the lack of heavy-handed moderators.

I agree with this. I am a moderator on a number of sites, and it is easy to kill a forum with moderating that is too enthusiastic. This site polices itself to a large degree.

+1

This forum has outed several Trolls, some have gone away, others kept at bay.

Agree that the "heavy hand" style has it's own problems, potentially worse than a looser, laissez-faire approach.

The Fire has an active and effective "B.S. meter" up and running... wink

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If someone pushes to the point of being a Troll "name calling and slandering" it easy to just not reply. If you don't participate in there little escalade they find it rather difficult to have a one sided conversation.

In short, don't feed the troll and he will eventually starve

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 04/19/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Trystan
If someone pushes to the point of being a Troll "name calling and slandering" it easy to just not reply. If you don't participate in there little escalade they find it rather difficult to have a one sided conversation.

Trystan

Very true, but what's the entertainment value in that...?

laugh

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well stated, Steve Redgwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Well stated, Steve Redgwell

Agreed

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Steve. Good thoughts. My guess is you have lots of friends and some great children.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It probably doesn't hurt to remind ourselves occasionally that we're all in this together. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
There's less drama here than other boards, but there are several things that I believe everyone should keep in mind.
---

Experience levels are different. Be nice. If a poster is not clear, help him communicate his idea. And don't preach!

People check in from all over. Never hunted a kangaroo? A moose? Read more. Speak less.

The animal might be the same (whitetails), but the topography is different. A poster hunts whitetails in Ontario, Canada in thick cover. You live on the plains and have never seen a whitetail up close. Read more. Speak less.

Nosler Partitions are not the only bullet to use. Not every animal is wearing Kevlar. Some people cannot afford them. Others don't like their performance.

Equipment like scopes, bullets, rifles or reloading gear. Not everyone can afford, or needs a $2,000 scope, a $2000 rifle or a Forster press. This board is supposed to be about hunting, not who can spend the most money on gear.

Some people have less schooling than others, and may not tipe or spel properly. It's not about correcting their spelling or grammar. Or worse, chiding them about "being stupid". It's about helping and exchanging ideas in a thoughtful way. Think before you respond.

The best part of a campfire - a real hunting campfire - is sitting around with friends and enjoying their company in a shared experience. Some of you would do well to remember that.

That may well be the post of all posts.

You covered a lot of real truth there, Steve.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom, as always.

For a Canuck, you make a lot of sense... laugh

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

laugh

DF

You didn't call me any names so I'm forced to reply. 😀😀😀

You are correct sir! ☺

And by the way, I know I for one appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum so thank you for being thick skinned and not bailing on folks like myself because, those of you with knowledge are more appreciated than you might know.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Trystan

laugh

DF

You didn't call me any names so I'm forced to reply. 😀😀😀

You are correct sir! ☺

And by the way, I know I for one appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum so thank you for being thick skinned and not bailing on folks like myself because, those of you with knowledge are more appreciated than you might know.

Trystan

Appreciate those kind words.

DF

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
---

That may well be the post of all posts.

You covered a lot of real truth there, Steve.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom, as always.

For a Canuck, you make a lot of sense... laugh

DF

That WAS a hell of a post!

I have gotten a ton of really great info on here, and am very grateful for honest, direct answers.

No one has said, "geeze kid, dont you know how to use the "search" feature?".

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
---

Great post Steve.

BTW, I almost drove by your house....sort of.....flew into Toronto and drove to/from Sudbury.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

That's the reason I QUIT responding to Schitck + mostly skip his posts.

My apology ! for misspelling >> Schtick. That's what I meant.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
---

Mr Steve -- I'm very sincere when I say, that post is spot on and makes the most since of anything I've read by you.
Hat's off to you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Could you prevail upon Shrap and Dober to grace us with their presence, again?
I miss their common sense, and experiences.

As long as the below person is allowed to berate and slime innocent posters we will continue to lose an incredible source of firearm's knowledge in former poster such as Shrapnel and Dober.

Meet the foe...I have him on ignore.

Larry G Mikulecky

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.