Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#11974463 04/15/17
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Could you prevail upon Shrap and Dober to grace us with their presence, again?
I miss their common sense, and experiences.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, please.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry, I talk to both regularly, and neither is even considering returning. Both say they eventually grew too weary of the Campfire's downsides, in particular the drama that deflects many threads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bunch of Baptists had that effect on me once, no twice.

Give 'em my regards.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Miss both there posts Dober more so! sadly the fire is dieing Im afraid!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm tired of how much politics and trash talk appears on this site. If this is part of the "campfire" experience I can see why some depart.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Politics is fine in the general forum, as are tucks, oil changes, good lookin' wimmin, etc. But, the trash talk is beyond ridiculous. I have a very high IDGAF quotient, when it's directed at me, but some get more heaped on them than others and decide, "why bother?" Can't blame them, but do miss their posts. Lot of valuable experience and good stories there.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sorry, I talk to both regularly, and neither is even considering returning. Both say they eventually grew too weary of the Campfire's downsides, in particular the drama that deflects many threads.

I totally understand, but optimistically hope they will return one day. The negative thoughtless feedback here is a sad reflection of....... you know what I mean.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Amen. I often wonder why I continue to participate. I do, however, miss both of them.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sure miss them both! I can see why they left!

Molon Labe
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whatever happened to civil dicussions? I have never been a big poster here but do find a lot of good info if you wade through the hostile bs.

We are losing some great members whom got tired of the nonsense that is allowed to go on here. Maybe it is time for the moderators to start clamping down and clean this forum up.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
On the other hand, one of the attractions of the Campfire for some members is the lack of heavy-handed moderators.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, one could make a case either way, loose or tight control.

You can add Pat (Scenarshooter) to the list. He occasionally posts, but not nearly like he did. I think he wearied of the drama and BS, as well.

I've said it before, we seem to be losing the ones we need to keep, keeping the ones we could stand to lose...

I appreciate the good ones we still have, tolerate the rest.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am actually a bit surprised that you're still here, MD... there's been an awful lot of bullshit slung your way.

Can't blame Dober or any of the others who no longer show up. I pick and choose my threads...

The rude and the ignorant are everywhere. For a brief while this place seemed to be an exception...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, agree.

John's tough, not easily distracted by drama, doesn't get hung up on stupid... grin

He stays focused on what he's doing, not on what a few others are doing.

If one is confident in who and what he is, challenges by the lesser trying to feel greater isn't a challenge at all. At best, just a nuisance.

At least we've lost a few trolls along the way.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those two were good to read. This place could us some moderation. Just the extreme rudeness in places where doesn't fit. Lots of good to be found here, I put up with rest, but question why on occasion.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
this is a two edged sword. We don't have a lot of people that pretend to know something that they don't know and pass along BS. Those that do are generally called out and discouraged from posting. I don't bother visiting some of the websites run by people who allow idiots and liars to post. On the other hand a few here seem to have some deep issues and while knowledgeable spend more time thinking of insults than arguing their case. I would rather see a person make their point with mathematics, science, experiment, shown in pictures than act like a democrat and attack the messenger.

Secondly this is a hunting and shooting website frequented by individuals, and not lemming nor other weak minded creatures. The likes of JeffO and others could vanish forever and not be missed here as they are simply are not going to convince anyone to their liberal point of view. So why bother to stir up trouble? Go find a like minded website and post there.

There is still a lot of knowledge here, I just read a review on a pistol I did not even know about and am enjoying reading about the 358 winchester in another thread. If any changes I would like to see people that post under the campfire forums and only post about liberal politics and attack the rest of us have a "troll" badge where their picture is supposed to be after their 5 or 6th political attack, a lot of these people are paid on line presences that do this for a living.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I miss reading Dober's posts too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact that this place is so unmoderated is what makes it such a success. Every site that’s become heavily moderated has nosedived. 24hcf got its big jump start when the moderator at Shooters.com started getting very heavy handed so people migrated to 24hcf en masse.

What we are seeing here is freedom of speech and freedom of speech always contains within it the possibility for hearing (or reading) things one doesn’t like. We could become 24 Hour Snowflake Site and ban people who might say things that offend us, that’s exactly what’s happening on liberal college campuses these days. People want someone else to protect them from things they don’t want to hear. So what happens when those people decide that what you (the you of whoever reads this) are saying is unacceptable?

The internet has given us the ability to communicate with people we’d never have met in a million years and I derive a great benefit not only from seeing technical things discussed but just reading about what others do – Northern Dave’s cars and Kamo Gari’s culinary pictorials and Kaywoodie’s and Birdwatcher’s living history not to mention going along vicariously on Birdwatchers monumental bike tours, and “talking’ to Mule Deer who has taught me more about handloading for accuracy in the last few years than I learned in the prior 30; plus learning from the accumulated knowledge and experiences of hundreds and hundreds of other folks on an encyclopedic array of subjects.

The flip side is that it gives social maladroits and alcoholics and the perpetually angry (which includes several of the “big personalities” here) a chance to lash out and spew their sh*t at people who wouldn’t otherwise have to listen to their crap.

The ONLY way to squash a troll is to NOT RESPOND. but people's egos are so huge and controlling they think they are actually hurting these trolls by responding and calling them names. NO - trolls don't care what kind of attention they receive as long as they receive attention. So the big egos and those angry at what they say feed them a banquet here instead of starving them which is the ONLY way to get rid of a troll.

If anyone doesn’t like what someone writes then just ignore them, either formally with the Ignore feature of just plain ignore it. Or folks can do like those under discussion have done and decide their time is best spent elsewhere. Other people have freedom of speech, we have freedom of choice.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jimmyp
this is a two edged sword. We don't have a lot of people that pretend to know something that they don't know and pass along BS. Those that do are generally called out and discouraged from posting. I don't bother visiting some of the websites run by people who allow idiots and liars to post. On the other hand a few here seem to have some deep issues and while knowledgeable spend more time thinking of insults than arguing their case. I would rather see a person make their point with mathematics, science, experiment, shown in pictures than act like a democrat and attack the messenger.

Secondly this is a hunting and shooting website frequented by individuals, and not lemming nor other weak minded creatures. The likes of JeffO and others could vanish forever and not be missed here as they are simply are not going to convince anyone to their liberal point of view. So why bother to stir up trouble? Go find a like minded website and post there.

There is still a lot of knowledge here, I just read a review on a pistol I did not even know about and am enjoying reading about the 358 winchester in another thread. If any changes I would like to see people that post under the campfire forums and only post about liberal politics and attack the rest of us have a "troll" badge where their picture is supposed to be after their 5 or 6th political attack, a lot of these people are paid on line presences that do this for a living.

Yes, this is a hunting and shooting website, one frequented by many conservatives who flaunt their viewpoints, but the liberal hunter/shooters are supposed to go elsewhere. I didn't realize that this site was set up for only conservatives. Which gets back to my earlier comment about politics and trash talk on this site. No wonder things don't work anymore.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I miss Dober.

The problem with everyone having an opinion , is that everyone has one. I am reasonably knowledgeable about most outdoor topics but generally only post when I have a question or can share first hand experience. When you come here to learn, it can be hard to know who's advice to take unless you know 'who's in the know'. Dober was 'in the know'.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Fire is not too unlike eating chicken wings. You eat the meat, spit out the bones.

The art of the deal, knowing the difference... wink

I've learn a lot here, love the interation with those who've done stuff I haven't, may never do.

I have several guns I've put together or obtained, based on interaction with Fire contributors, found some in the Classifieds. Have used the Classifieds to sell stuff.

Met some great folks over the years, what's not to like...

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by mark shubert

The answer John gave you is spot on, as Kirk and I have discussed this numerous times.

I might also mention another factor--"the game of life."

My old friend Bob S., a hunter and trapper of the highest caliber, comes by about twice a week to visit while we swig down a can of root beer. He said to me one day, "it seems all i'm doing anymore is going to funerals".

This past November, one of my early mentors--Bill B., passed on. He was also a mentor for Pat (scenarshooter). As Pat said to me recently in about these words, "I've never seen anyone--whether in the field or on the range--who could handle a firearm like Bill. He was in a class all alone".

The following month, Lee B., retired orthopedic surgeon and extraordinary handgunner, also passed on. He was one of Kirk's best friends, and it was a devastating loss to him.

I visit with Kirk and Pat on a regular basis. (I don't really know Dober, even though we live in the same town, so can't comment specifically in that regard). Kirk called me on Thursday, and came by on Good Friday to visit. He had his 3 year old grandson along. He was as happy as a man can be.

When guys with skills and experience like shrapnel and scenarshooter, (and numerous unnamed others too), place a post here--a post which can call for a significant amount of time away from family and friends--their intent is to share with others, and to guide others in their journey. Yet at times and in some instances "tin horn amateurs" try to take issue with some of the valuable info they post. As folks begin to see that the sand is quickly slipping through the hourglass, one realizes that life is too short for that, so why bother.

Subsequently, Kirk is busy hunting with his kids and friends, and also busy mentoring those friends and his grandson, while Pat is busy hunting with family and friends, and mentoring his son's--and any others who have occasion to want to learn.

Just my observation based upon knowing these guys for decades...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great post, Hi_Vel, and spot on.

You live in a area where some great sportsmen live. I envy your access to guys of that caliber. Enjoy them while there's time to do so, their time and your time...

Time is one commodity we can't replace, buy any more of...

When it's gone, it's gone...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The Fire is not too unlike eating chicken wings. You eat the meat, spit out the bones.

DF

That's a pearl right there! Oh so true.

Hi Vel, great stuff sir. You are a class act and always have been. Good to know those guys are doing well, and focusing on some much more important things.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/17/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to point out something here. I joined in 03, and was on and off due to work but later was an active lurker as I am today. 2007 started getting a bit tense here then 2008 where the politics really started ramping up and has continued pretty much unabated. This is just the nature of people.

Then we have people who are tired of the same old questions they have answered or seen answered a thousand times who really need to take a break but can't seem to take that leap instead they become acrimonious.

In actuality there are many people I miss here. The ones mentioned and others as well. Some due to death, but mostly just moved on. There are also new guys I read that I enjoy.

And with that, I am just gonna just keep on keeping on.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Hi Vel, thanks. Valuable information and good advice.. Still I miss those guys, but if life is good for them ok.. Appreciate your time for this insight. Have a good day 😀

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Whatever happened to civil dicussions? I have never been a big poster here but do find a lot of good info if you wade through the hostile bs.

We are losing some great members whom got tired of the nonsense that is allowed to go on here. Maybe it is time for the moderators to start clamping down and clean this forum up.

I must be missing something. The atmosphere doesn't seem to be any worse or better than it's ever been, at least since I've been hanging around here. confused

I suspect some folks may get a bit thin-skinned after so many years.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seems several are missing the point, most fair minded people have zero problems with opposing points of view. But many here very quickly resort to name calling and vulgarity which only serves to turn those fair minded people off. After a while they have their fill of it and move on.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I've learn a lot here, love the interation with those who've done stuff I haven't, may never do.

I have several guns I've put together or obtained, based on interaction with Fire contributors, found some in the Classifieds. Have used the Classifieds to sell stuff.

Met some great folks over the years, what's not to like...

DF

Good advise there. Most of life is the same way. grin

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too miss Shrapnel and Dober, but understand why they choose to stay off this site. Been tempted to leave myself, but there are too many knowledgable and polite posters left so I stay smile. What bothers me the most, is when someone posts with a problem with a rifle. Along with requests for more info and helpful advice, there are always those whose response is, basically, accusing the OP of not being able to shoot well. "Have you considered the nut behind the recoil pad?" and "if you're not paying attention to X and Y it's all your fault." are common, quick, posts to follow a question on the site. I thought I left behavior like that behind when I graduated high school in the seventies! I agree that the lack of a heavy-handed moderator is good....but it lets the rude folks have a field day at times.

Last edited by 300_savage; 04/17/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ignore button works great.....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
talk about hunting and shooting all you want, but if all you talk about is liberal politics and all you want to do is argue for some foolishness then go somewhere else or maybe Rick can get a troll picture for those that persist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, this site is rife with gun-hating liberals smile. No room for us real rifle loonies cause of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of us on this site have been shooting/hunting/reloading for years, and the shooting sports are more a passion than a pastime. On the flip side, some questions are obvously from folks who either are new to shooting and reloading, or maybe, just aren't as ardent a hobbyist as we are. Their questions seem glaringly obvious. But those folks are just wanting a little advice, and it seems to me the polite thing is to give them an honest answer in a polite fashion. 95% of the Campfire folks do just that! But there are a few who just pounce on those questions like a cat plays with a mouse.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
About all I can comment on is that Shrapnel contributed to a lot of that drama himself.

Dober,was always straight forward. He offered his opinion or experience,but didn't get after you if you had a different one

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That may be true, but he had more to contribute than most!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Shrapnel contributed to a lot of that drama himself.

Nah... laugh

Not Shrap... wink

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever quit, it'll be out of boredom. Things have been getting kind of dull (firearms topics).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
watch4bear, thank you for making my point so eloquently! I'm always grateful to those who provide support for me in a discussion.

Last edited by 300_savage; 04/17/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
de nada

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pappy, same girl? Can you make that pic a little bigger?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by papat

Actually a return to Lin Chi-ling. The other b&w pic was Liu Shi Shi, aka Cecilia Lui, a younger Chinese hottie. Someone else requested a return to Ms. Lin, possibly because the other pic showed no bazoobas.

Any search engine will provide you with all the Asian pulchritude you could desire. Limits on file size for avatars make resizing or posting thumbnails neccessary. My avatar is a thumnail, so it gets kinda pixely if you enlarge it. Here's a couple to hold you until you find your own.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/18/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see why new members leave quickly if they're thin skinned.

When I was VERY new on this forum, I posted about having a new .243 rifle that I won in a raffle and having a 1:9.25 rate of twist.

IMMEDIATELY, an well established person on this forum, with 85,000+ post's, jumped on me and told me that I was young, dumb and full of schit.

Well, I ignored this person... But as you can see at the Savage website - Savage rifles chambered in .243 Win do come in 1:9.25 twist.

Some day's we're all to happy to rip off someones head and schit down their necks. But when it's a new member, they just leave and never come back.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great post, Hi_Vel, and spot on.

You live in a area where some great sportsmen live. I envy your access to guys of that caliber. Enjoy them while there's time to do so, their time and your time...

Time is one commodity we can't replace, buy any more of...

When it's gone, it's gone...

DF

DF, JG, and WYO, thank you for the good words. i really enjoy reading all of your posts--i'm amazed at the talents that each of you have.

DF, i remember you quoted that to me many years ago, and i've not forgotten it. a very good concept, "signature line" material for sure...

conceptually, when we "draw lines through the people that we know", the intersection of all those lines appears to be "our place" in the scheme of things.

to meet, and then know--guys like Bill B., Bob S., Mule Deer, shrapnel, scenarshooter, etc., is a pretty fortunate situation indeed--my place. but it happens because it happens, without any striving...

the campfire is still a good place, with a lot of great guys. the thing that i wish is that there were more "in depth" discussions of the various topics, rather than surface issues such as, "look at my new grips", or "check out my new scope". it's like reading Jack and Jill, or Dick and Jane. these are ok in a sense, especially for beginners--but they cannot whet the appetite for long--and at some point it has to be more--getting to the meat and potatos...

the guys that were talking about in this thread offer "the more--the meat and potatos"...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hi_Vel,

I think there are some in depth discussions on certain topics. I'll admit they don't come along every day, but when they do it's great.

There have been productive discussions on various rounds, the 26 Nosler and 6.5 Creedmoor come to mind.

Custom guns like Butch's latest build, that beautiful .404J, come along every now and then, well worth the wait.

JB's stuff is always good, as are posts by others such as .458Win. I enjoyed JGRaider's excellent Safari post, "I Suck". Beautiful photography, great trophies.

I've only mentioned a few off the top of my head, but IMO, those are worth tolerating the less than productive stuff, the chicken bones that we spit out... grin

The meat is really good...

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hate that I don't get to read the 2 gentlemen who have been mentioned. It was not long after I got on here that I posted on a thread that I was enjoying reading. Well...when the next tirade was given by someone who apparently is limited to 1 post a day (for obvious reasons), I was mentioned in his next post. I just laughed it off. I'm a pastor so my skin has hardened a bit in the last 20 years. I have wondered at times at some of the silliest of arguments. But I hope that some of the guys who post a lot will keep posting as I really enjoy the site. I'll say this, that a lot of the petty stuff comes (IMO) from those who have practical experience and those who look at things from the technical side. And I enjoy reading both sides of things.

Last edited by Ruger77Shooter; 04/18/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by papat

... a younger Chinese hottie.

No thanks Pappy, got one of those at home. She tagged along when Her mom gave me Yellow Fever and she won't leave.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I hate that I don't get to read the 2 gentlemen who have been mentioned. It was not long after I got on here that I posted on a thread that I was enjoying reading. Well...when the next tirade was given by someone who apparently is limited to 1 post a day (for obvious reasons), I was mentioned in his next post. I just laughed it off. I'm a pastor so my skin has hardened a bit in the last 20 years. I have wondered at times at some of the silliest of arguments. But I hope that some of the guys who post a lot will keep posting as I really enjoy the site. I'll say this, that a lot of the petty stuff comes (IMO) from those who have practical experience and those who look at things from the technical side. And I enjoy reading both sides of things.

You're obviously referring to our resident lunatic Big Stick. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me too, at least a heckuva lot younger than me! Nothing like 'em.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's called freedom of speech.

If a person cannot learn to scroll past the drivel to find the nuggets, then they probably shouldn't bother being here as it shows weakness/insecurity on their part.

There comes a certain responsibility to contribute to an organization/site/job/church/party whether or not there are idiots in the midst. That's life. And life's duty. For a good man, even on the internet.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well said. I don't have anybody on "ignore," partly because those who post troll-drivel are often quoted by others on the same thread anyway. It's easier to move on to more useful or entertaining posts.

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Well said. I don't have anybody on "ignore," partly because those who post troll-drivel are often quoted by others on the same thread anyway. It's easier to move on to more useful or entertaining posts.

Yep, it's pretty easy to figure out what various trolls' rants are by the posts that follow.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 300_savage
... some questions are obviously from folks who either are new to shooting and reloading, or maybe, just aren't as ardent a hobbyist as we are. Their questions seem glaringly obvious. But those folks are just wanting a little advice, and it seems to me the polite thing is to give them an honest answer in a polite fashion. 95% of the Campfire folks do just that!

This is clearly where I am. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, I spent what seemed like every waking moment in the woods, hunting mostly small game and birds. When I went off to college, I scheduled as many classes as I could so several of us could hunt the mornings and late afternoons, mostly ducks but a few birds here and there as well. At the same time, I was working in local gunshop in order to help pay my way through both undergraduate and grad school.

Even though I spent more time reading books by Leffingwell and George Bird Evans than I did any of my accounting books, I actually did graduate with a couple of degrees. However, about that time things also began to change. I spent virtually all my time building a career, resulting in almost thirty years as a Certified Public Accountant, the last 20+ as a tax partner in the firm. Also, for about the last fifteen or so years of my time in practice, I was also the Rector of a small Anglican parish church, and between the two I didn't have much time for anything else.

Eventually, though, I left the firm to become the first full time Rector of the church, and when I did I found that I finally had enough spare time on my hands to once again take to the woods. However, by that time, a lot had changed and I found that I not only have to learn new things, but also relearn a lot of what I'd forgotten. Thankfully, the internet and forums like this, with some really good and patient people on them, have been a huge help towards making that happen.

Thank to all for your responses and patience.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There are plenty that excuse poor behavior and contempt as just another chicken bone. The truth of the matter is, chicken bones are one thing, but caustic and filthy remarks are more like maggots in your chicken wings, and some would rather pass.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
... some questions are obviously from folks who either are new to shooting and reloading, or maybe, just aren't as ardent a hobbyist as we are. Their questions seem glaringly obvious. But those folks are just wanting a little advice, and it seems to me the polite thing is to give them an honest answer in a polite fashion. 95% of the Campfire folks do just that!

This is clearly where I am. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, I spent what seemed like every waking moment in the woods, hunting mostly small game and birds. When I went off to college, I scheduled as many classes as I could so several of us could hunt the mornings and late afternoons, mostly ducks but a few birds here and there as well. At the same time, I was working in local gunshop in order to help pay my way through both undergraduate and grad school.

Even though I spent more time reading books by Leffingwell and George Bird Evans than I did any of my accounting books, I actually did graduate with a couple of degrees. However, about that time things also began to change. I spent virtually all my time building a career, resulting in almost thirty years as a Certified Public Accountant, the last 20+ as a tax partner in the firm. Also, for about the last fifteen or so years of my time in practice, I was also the Rector of a small Anglican parish church, and between the two I didn't have much time for anything else.

Eventually, though, I left the firm to become the first full time Rector of the church, and when I did I found that I finally had enough spare time on my hands to once again take to the woods. However, by that time, a lot had changed and I found that I not only have to learn new things, but also relearn a lot of what I'd forgotten. Thankfully, the internet and forums like this, with some really good and patient people on them, have been a huge help towards making that happen.

Thank to all for your responses and patience.

RM

Rev,

You were a hopeless Loony, back in your misspent youth... cry

Now, in your second life as a man of the cloth, look what a fertile repertoire of sermons you now have... blush

Nothing is wasted if put to good use...

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now, in your second life as a man of the cloth, look what a fertile repertoire of sermons you now have... blush

DF

Yeah, there's entire repertoire of stories and sermon illustrations that end with, "I wasn't always a priest...." blush

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Yeah, there's entire repertoire of stories and sermon illustrations that end with, "I wasn't always a priest...." blush

laugh

I would think some of those are real jewels... wink

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

You're obviously referring to our resident lunatic Big Stick. wink

Maybe I made that a little too easy!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

What we are seeing here is freedom of speech and freedom of speech always contains within it the possibility for hearing (or reading) things one doesn’t like. We could become 24 Hour Snowflake Site and ban people who might say things that offend us, that’s exactly what’s happening on liberal college campuses these days. People want someone else to protect them from things they don’t want to hear. So what happens when those people decide that what you (the you of whoever reads this) are saying is unacceptable?

The ONLY way to squash a troll is to NOT RESPOND. but people's egos are so huge and controlling they think they are actually hurting these trolls by responding and calling them names. NO - trolls don't care what kind of attention they receive as long as they receive attention. So the big egos and those angry at what they say feed them a banquet here instead of starving them which is the ONLY way to get rid of a troll.

Other people have freedom of speech, we have freedom of choice.
Very well stated, Jim.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Other people have freedom of speech, we have freedom of choice.
Very well stated, Jim.

+ 2

That's the reason I QUIT responding to Schitck + mostly skip his posts.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

laugh

I would think some of those are real jewels... wink

DF

The 'jewels' we don't talk about. eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the other hand, one of the attractions of the Campfire for some members is the lack of heavy-handed moderators.

I agree with this. I am a moderator on a number of sites, and it is easy to kill a forum with moderating that is too enthusiastic. This site polices itself to a large degree.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's less drama here than other boards, but there are several things that I believe everyone should keep in mind.
---

Experience levels are different. Be nice. If a poster is not clear, help him communicate his idea. And don't preach!

People check in from all over. Never hunted a kangaroo? A moose? Read more. Speak less.

The animal might be the same (whitetails), but the topography is different. A poster hunts whitetails in Ontario, Canada in thick cover. You live on the plains and have never seen a whitetail up close. Read more. Speak less.

Nosler Partitions are not the only bullet to use. Not every animal is wearing Kevlar. Some people cannot afford them. Others don't like their performance.

Equipment like scopes, bullets, rifles or reloading gear. Not everyone can afford, or needs a $2,000 scope, a $2000 rifle or a Forster press. This board is supposed to be about hunting, not who can spend the most money on gear.

Some people have less schooling than others, and may not tipe or spel properly. It's not about correcting their spelling or grammar. Or worse, chiding them about "being stupid". It's about helping and exchanging ideas in a thoughtful way. Think before you respond.

The best part of a campfire - a real hunting campfire - is sitting around with friends and enjoying their company in a shared experience. Some of you would do well to remember that.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

I agree with this. I am a moderator on a number of sites, and it is easy to kill a forum with moderating that is too enthusiastic. This site polices itself to a large degree.

+1

This forum has outed several Trolls, some have gone away, others kept at bay.

Agree that the "heavy hand" style has it's own problems, potentially worse than a looser, laissez-faire approach.

The Fire has an active and effective "B.S. meter" up and running... wink

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If someone pushes to the point of being a Troll "name calling and slandering" it easy to just not reply. If you don't participate in there little escalade they find it rather difficult to have a one sided conversation.

In short, don't feed the troll and he will eventually starve

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 04/19/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Trystan
If someone pushes to the point of being a Troll "name calling and slandering" it easy to just not reply. If you don't participate in there little escalade they find it rather difficult to have a one sided conversation.

Trystan

Very true, but what's the entertainment value in that...?

laugh

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well stated, Steve Redgwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well stated, Steve Redgwell

Agreed

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Steve. Good thoughts. My guess is you have lots of friends and some great children.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It probably doesn't hurt to remind ourselves occasionally that we're all in this together. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
There's less drama here than other boards, but there are several things that I believe everyone should keep in mind.
---

Experience levels are different. Be nice. If a poster is not clear, help him communicate his idea. And don't preach!

People check in from all over. Never hunted a kangaroo? A moose? Read more. Speak less.

The animal might be the same (whitetails), but the topography is different. A poster hunts whitetails in Ontario, Canada in thick cover. You live on the plains and have never seen a whitetail up close. Read more. Speak less.

Nosler Partitions are not the only bullet to use. Not every animal is wearing Kevlar. Some people cannot afford them. Others don't like their performance.

Equipment like scopes, bullets, rifles or reloading gear. Not everyone can afford, or needs a $2,000 scope, a $2000 rifle or a Forster press. This board is supposed to be about hunting, not who can spend the most money on gear.

Some people have less schooling than others, and may not tipe or spel properly. It's not about correcting their spelling or grammar. Or worse, chiding them about "being stupid". It's about helping and exchanging ideas in a thoughtful way. Think before you respond.

The best part of a campfire - a real hunting campfire - is sitting around with friends and enjoying their company in a shared experience. Some of you would do well to remember that.

That may well be the post of all posts.

You covered a lot of real truth there, Steve.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom, as always.

For a Canuck, you make a lot of sense... laugh

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

laugh

DF

You didn't call me any names so I'm forced to reply. 😀😀😀

You are correct sir! ☺

And by the way, I know I for one appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum so thank you for being thick skinned and not bailing on folks like myself because, those of you with knowledge are more appreciated than you might know.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Trystan

laugh

DF

You didn't call me any names so I'm forced to reply. 😀😀😀

You are correct sir! ☺

And by the way, I know I for one appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum so thank you for being thick skinned and not bailing on folks like myself because, those of you with knowledge are more appreciated than you might know.

Trystan

Appreciate those kind words.

DF

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
---

That may well be the post of all posts.

You covered a lot of real truth there, Steve.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom, as always.

For a Canuck, you make a lot of sense... laugh

DF

That WAS a hell of a post!

I have gotten a ton of really great info on here, and am very grateful for honest, direct answers.

No one has said, "geeze kid, dont you know how to use the "search" feature?".

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
---

Great post Steve.

BTW, I almost drove by your house....sort of.....flew into Toronto and drove to/from Sudbury.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

That's the reason I QUIT responding to Schitck + mostly skip his posts.

My apology ! for misspelling >> Schtick. That's what I meant.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
---

Mr Steve -- I'm very sincere when I say, that post is spot on and makes the most since of anything I've read by you.
Hat's off to you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

As long as the below person is allowed to berate and slime innocent posters we will continue to lose an incredible source of firearm's knowledge in former poster such as Shrapnel and Dober.

Meet the foe...I have him on ignore.

Larry G Mikulecky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

As long as the below person is allowed to berate and slime innocent posters we will continue to lose an incredible source of firearm's knowledge in former poster such as Shrapnel and Dober.

Larry G Mikulecky

Who is that? My first "educated guess" based on the first name would be the homunculus from Alaska. However, your description of him fits two guys from S.E. US and a couple of others of whom I can think.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
homunculus????

Great word!! grin ( had to look it up!).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It probably doesn't hurt to remind ourselves occasionally that we're all in this together. smile

Yep, spot on. And at the end of the race, we all end up dead-even.

It's a shame more don't get that Steve.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Larry G

Who is that? My first "educated guess" based on the first name would be the homunculus from Alaska. However, your description of him fits two guys from S.E. US and a couple of others of whom I can think.

Yes, it is Big Dousch.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Larry G

No one even comes close in their efforts to insult people when compared to Big Dousch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Posting someone's name online like that probably isn't judicious.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Probably not.

However, if you asked him, first he would spend a paragraph or two maligning me with his special short-bus window-licker spelling and grammar, then tell you he didn't give a fµck in several different profane ways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah he's a thick skinned son of a gun.

I suspect there's nothing anyone could write that would get under his skin.

Each to their own.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Yeah he's a thick skinned son of a gun.

I suspect there's nothing anyone could write that would get under his skin.

Each to their own.

The only thing anyone could write that would bother him in the least is a judge writing out his punishment and the length of time he'd have to stay in prison. So, since I think he's smarter than that, I don't believe anyone could really bother him no matter what they wrote - unless it caused others to begin to dislike him or falsely accuse him of something that could cause him real harm.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He's not posting on this thread, yet you've succeeded in featuring him prominently in it. In big red letters no less.

Congratulations?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Be nice.....don't preach!....Read more. Speak less.......Think before you respond...Some of you would do well to remember that.

Yes Daddy. whistle

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootinurse

Truer words were never spoken. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What a great show that was! "quando omni flunkus moritati"

I wish it was still on. Not much you can't do with a roll of duct tape.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
He's not posting on this thread, yet you've succeeded in featuring him prominently in it. In big red letters no less.

Congratulations?

Yeah! Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And don't preach!
....... Some of you would do well to remember that.

LMAO! Hahahahah! laugh

This has to rate with the best of the posts here, perhaps because it applies so well and quite broadly. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

The answer John gave you is spot on, as Kirk and I have discussed this numerous times.

I might also mention another factor--"the game of life."

My old friend Bob S., a hunter and trapper of the highest caliber, comes by about twice a week to visit while we swig down a can of root beer. He said to me one day, "it seems all i'm doing anymore is going to funerals".

This past November, one of my early mentors--Bill B., passed on. He was also a mentor for Pat (scenarshooter). As Pat said to me recently in about these words, "I've never seen anyone--whether in the field or on the range--who could handle a firearm like Bill. He was in a class all alone".

The following month, Lee B., retired orthopedic surgeon and extraordinary handgunner, also passed on. He was one of Kirk's best friends, and it was a devastating loss to him.

I visit with Kirk and Pat on a regular basis. (I don't really know Dober, even though we live in the same town, so can't comment specifically in that regard). Kirk called me on Thursday, and came by on Good Friday to visit. He had his 3 year old grandson along. He was as happy as a man can be.

When guys with skills and experience like shrapnel and scenarshooter, (and numerous unnamed others too), place a post here--a post which can call for a significant amount of time away from family and friends--their intent is to share with others, and to guide others in their journey. Yet at times and in some instances "tin horn amateurs" try to take issue with some of the valuable info they post. As folks begin to see that the sand is quickly slipping through the hourglass, one realizes that life is too short for that, so why bother.

Subsequently, Kirk is busy hunting with his kids and friends, and also busy mentoring those friends and his grandson, while Pat is busy hunting with family and friends, and mentoring his son's--and any others who have occasion to want to learn.

Just my observation based upon knowing these guys for decades...

Yep, great post Hi Vel, and one of the reason one of my favorites moved on. Keith EH76, two long range Booner goats under his belt and suckers telling him he didnt know chitt about long range shooting.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably not.

However, if you asked him, first he would spend a paragraph or two maligning me with his special short-bus window-licker spelling and grammar, then tell you he didn't give a fµck in several different profane ways.

And you know it is not cool to post someone's information and want to continue a very juvenile fight you ALWAYS lose...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many, many years ago I decided that words on my computer screen can't hurt me... I've been much happier since then...

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,812 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.