Print Thread
Hop To
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Hello guys. I'm wanting to start looking into the possibility of doing an Australian cull hunt. Any info would be great. Never Been to Australia. Always wanted too go and hunt. Think I could do a good bit of shooting for a decent value. Maybe test out different loads. And test out my shoulder! Thanks. DaveO.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've hunted with Barry Seabrook, you'd be in good hands there for a NT buffalo cull. Most of my Australian hunting was done through Hunt Australia, and since Matt Graham is dead now that leaves me looking for another outfit for the feral shoots.

I've got a deer cull coming up in July with a new operator who I had for a guide twice for HA, we're sort of hoping for a couple hundred apiece. I can let you know how that goes.

One thing about culling is that it isn't the sort of thing where you study a situation for ten years and then book 3 years out

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I've hunted with Barry Seabrook, you'd be in good hands there for a NT buffalo cull. Most of my Australian hunting was done through Hunt Australia, and since Matt Graham is dead now that leaves me looking for another outfit for the feral shoots.

I've got a deer cull coming up in July with a new operator who I had for a guide twice for HA, we're sort of hoping for a couple hundred apiece. I can let you know how that goes.

One thing about culling is that it isn't the sort of thing where you study a situation for ten years and then book 3 years out

Yes please let me know how it goes on any deer or feral hunts. I would like to do that someday. I will save up and put aside the $$ for a hunt like that so when it does pop up I can act on it. Sounds like culls are decided pretty quickly? I was checking out some web pages and saw how they say they fill a bucket up with ammo and you shoot 100-200 rnds a day. And the buffalo cull looks mighty interesting as well. Start a new job May 1st that pays better,so I can squirrel away money and buy a 30-06 Lefty bolt gun for airline travel.(my '06 is a M1 Garland). I would emagine on buff culls you would use up most of your 5kilo weight on ammo?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There's culls, and then there are culls. I've done buffalo hunts that the 5 Kilos is plenty, which would be just about all of them. I've also travelled with a pile of .458 component bullets and brass and a hand-press, and loaded with ADI powder and locally bought primers at that end. That was a crazy trip and probably couldn't be repeated today; but tomorrow who knows? For more general feral shooting my technique was to have an Australian enthusiast load a couple thousand rounds for me, but a common caliber and a few cases of blue box Federal would work too.

Culling is situational. Nobody is very eager to leave a severe problem going for years anymore, you need to whip in a few steps ahead of the choppers and the CPM club.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.