-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I recently inherited a Savage Model 99-C in .308 caliber. The gun shoots fine, except that it has extraction issues. Pretty much never extracts the fired case; maybe once or twice out of 10 shots.Definitely an issue with the extractor.

My "local" gunsmith is a 45 minute or more drive away, and a phone call leads me to believe he doesn't want to take this on anyways. I posted this question already over on the "Savage Collectors" forum, and I got several good replies on what I could check, do, or replace to remedy the situation.

But I don't want to do it myself; I want to send it to someone who knows EXACTLY what they're doing, has the proper tools and skill set to do the job, knows where to track down the correct replacement part/s, etc. It's not that I couldn't do the work myself, I just don't want to, nor do I have the time right now.

So, if you know of a gunsmith that has knowledge on the Savage 99 rifles, or if you are one yourself, please let me know.

Thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kitsune338
I recently inherited a Savage Model 99-C in .308 caliber. The gun shoots fine, except that it has extraction issues. Pretty much never extracts the fired case; maybe once or twice out of 10 shots.Definitely an issue with the extractor.

My "local" gunsmith is a 45 minute or more drive away, and a phone call leads me to believe he doesn't want to take this on anyways. I posted this question already over on the "Savage Collectors" forum, and I got several good replies on what I could check, do, or replace to remedy the situation.

But I don't want to do it myself; I want to send it to someone who knows EXACTLY what they're doing, has the proper tools and skill set to do the job, knows where to track down the correct replacement part/s, etc. It's not that I couldn't do the work myself, I just don't want to, nor do I have the time right now.

So, if you know of a gunsmith that has knowledge on the Savage 99 rifles, or if you are one yourself, please let me know.

Thanks.
Are you CERTAIN it's "an extractor issue" and not a "fouled/dirty/slightly-rusty" chamber issue??

That's one thing you can easily do yourself w/o a batch of tools and it'll take about 15 minutes.. Clean the snot out of that chamber; shine a light in there to ensure no rust is present and it's "mirror-bright".. Then try again and see if extraction's better/uniform..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Do you just turn the key in your car and drive, or do you also check tire pressure, check the oil/coolant/washer fluid/brake fluid levels, wash it occasionally, and pump your own gas? If so, then the minor checks you were offered on the Savage forum will certainly be do-able and take about as much time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any scratches or scars on the fired cases? Factory ammo?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sent you a PM

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I have the same problem only it ejects fine most of the time. Only misses now and then.

I am going to try the clean chamber way and see how it works. Thanks Lee.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.