24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Is there any bird trappers in the North America!?

[Linked Image]
Picture borrowed here: jaktsidan

Have read and seen a lot of "pest control" with air rifles on the web.
But is it common to trap birds or is trapping stricly done for fur?

Regards Mike

Last edited by PISTOLMIKE; 04/13/17.
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Pigeon trap for Bird Dog Training

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a few survival type bird traps, if that is what you are asking.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We used to catch a lot of pigeons, for training pointing dogs. It's not hard to catch quail, although illegal to do so.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hi Mike,

I am a Purple Martin guy. I propagate them and Blue Birds. Because of this I try to control the sparrow and starling populations. Both of these species will take over nesting space and chase away my desired birds. Further more sparrows will kill adult song birds and destroy their eggs. As a result I trap these birds using elevator traps and V-traps. I have on occasion have trapped and killed over 300 starlings in a day. Hope that helps.

Gary

IC B2

OP Offline
Originally Posted by GaryU
Hi Mike,

I am a Purple Martin guy. I propagate them and Blue Birds. Because of this I try to control the sparrow and starling populations. Both of these species will take over nesting space and chase away my desired birds. Further more sparrows will kill adult song birds and destroy their eggs. As a result I trap these birds using elevator traps and V-traps. I have on occasion have trapped and killed over 300 starlings in a day. Hope that helps.

Gary

Yes, i'm just qurious, there is alot of differences in hunting and hunting cultures between countries.
Here in my hometown we have problems with too many jackdaws. Trapping is alot more effective then shooting them.

Below a in Sweden common "Norwegian crow trap"
[Linked Image]
http://www.segerlund.net/viltvard-aso/

Regards Mike

Last edited by PISTOLMIKE; 04/18/17.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hi Mike,

I just built a V-trap that was modified by Andrew Troyer an Amish Purple Martin expert. He sales the plans (a detailed book) with hints on using the trap included. I will take some pics this weekend and post them for you. Have a great week.

Gary

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Friend of mine sent me pics/plans for a starling trap to use at my wife's place as the starlings fight with the blue birds for the birdhouses.

Haven't had a chance to build it yet, probably a project for the winter to be ready for next spring when they return.

Friend says his works well.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PISTOLMIKE, Is the picture you posted taken in Sweden? If so, that is a Magpie in basically the same kind of trap used for them here in Montana. The farmers and ranchers don't like them for many reasons, and just awhile back I saw a trap very similar to the one pictured. It was empty at the time, but will probably get used in the near future.
It is interesting that in my area many of us are of Norwegian and Swedish descent. By the way, Magpie's are protected here and so are Crows.

Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 04/18/17.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kennymauser
PISTOLMIKE, Is the picture you posted taken in Sweden? If so, that is a Magpie in basically the same kind of trap used for them here in Montana. The farmers and ranchers don't like them for many reasons, and just awhile back I saw a trap very similar to the one pictured. It was empty at the time, but will probably get used in the near future.
It is interesting that in my area many of us are of Norwegian and Swedish descent. By the way, Magpie's are protected here and so are Crows.

Ken

Yes, that is a Swedish trap for skata(magpie)and kråka(crow). They work well.

Semper Fi

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by hanco
We used to catch a lot of pigeons, for training pointing dogs. It's not hard to catch quail, although illegal to do so.

i dont think its illegal in all states.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.