Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am interested in a good pair of binoculars that will fit in my front shirt pocket. I'm thinking Zeiss but curious as to any others that would compare .
Also would be interested in any experiences with pocket-size binoculars as to do they really even have any value. Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never seen any with enough merit to carry them...and Ive looked at Zeiss and Swarovski....

And certainly botenough merit to pay for them...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are all finicky to use, because of the small size.

I have 2 that are worth carrying, the Leica Ultravid
8x20, and the Zeiss Terra 8x25.

The Zeiss is a bargain, made in Japan. Under $300.

FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I imagine they are finicky.. Not looking to use them for a dedicated hunting binoculars.
Mainly to carry around to get a closer look at something I already see during my daytime work activities.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
get the 8x25 terra......

gunut
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a couple--a Swaro 10x20 and a Leica 8x20. I originally bought them to keep in my pocket while quail hunting because there are always things that I see that merit a closer look. The 8x20 was a little easier to get behind and seemed to be a little brighter, as well. I ended up giving both away because I just didn't carry them enough once I quit bird hunting. If I think I will need a binocular on a stroll or a hike, I borrow my wife's 8x30 Swaros--much easier to use and not that much more weight to carry.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I found using a monocular worked better for a quick look than a pocket binocular.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a pair of Zeiss 8x20's for years. Use them when I want to pare down the weight on long hikes/hunts and also on safari. JMHO but have found it handy to have a light/compact bino of good quality and also a larger pair to use as the situation dictates.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have used a bunch of pocket binoculars over the years. These are the only ones worth carrying.
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/sapphire-8x25-black-binocular.html

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it...

Speak life
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FVA,

I went through several trying to get some good ones. I even went to the store and compared side by side stuff up to near a grand. Finally I found some that were comparable to the expensive ones and bought them. These are Alpen Wings ED 8X20 for $132. They are so good I called the company and talked to the president about them. He told me he made them for himself and liked them so much he added them to their line.

The first pair I dropped on our tile floor. Of course they were damaged. When I called to check on the cost of repair the lady told me, "We have a no fault warranty. You return them we send you a new pair." I tried to let her know it was my fault, but she told me it's just the way they do business.

Here is a photo showing how they can fold up. Also you can see one eye cup is twisted out while the other side is still in. There are clicks where the cup sort of comes to a stop before it is all the way out for none glasses wearers. There is an individual adjustment on the right tube to correct for any vision inconsistency.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Zeiss I owned and tried, the 8X20 and, especially the 10X25 were a waste of my money. The Leupold Yosemite 6X30 work far, far better. E

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a set of older Leupold Gold Ring 9x25 I.F. binoculars that work extremely well. I use them when I don't feel like carrying my Minox 9.5x42 I.F.

FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hmmm. Thanks for everyones thoughts/experience.
Can't say I'm anymore confident on taking the plunge,lol.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Swaro Pocket CL 10X25s. They are the cat's bottom!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FVA
hmmm. Thanks for everyones thoughts/experience.
Can't say I'm anymore confident on taking the plunge,lol.

You have to figure out how you want to use them. The FOV is going to be less than say a 8x40 set and the low light capability is also going to be less than the larger glass. If you are going to use them on backpack hunts and will be glassing for hours you need to get good glass. OTOH if you are going to use them to verify which animal your guide wants you to shoot or only for casual viewing, the glass quality may not be as critical for you.
Like everything, some compromise may be required and only you can decide where or on what you will compromise.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
March 4, 2013 binoculars
This evening I decided to compare some binoculars at sunset. It was the end of a beautiful cloudless day about 60* and I didn’t get out to enjoy it until after dinner. The object on which I compared them is a fork antler 131 yards away in the woods. Four brands of different magnifications included Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (roof prism), Vortex Raptor 6.5X32 (porroprism), Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 waterproof/fogproof (porroprism), and Alpen wings ED 8X20 pocket model (roof prism). These last one are in a pouch on my belt. I started about 5:45 PM. At first I was switching back and forth but realized the Nikons and the Bushnells were definitely better than the other two for the lower light, I limited my switching to the Vortex and Alpens.

When I could no longer distinguish the antlers well enough to shoot the deer carrying them I noted the time. A very disturbing observation was that I could not discern the antlers in the woods hand holding them. The sand bag was necessary.

I thought the Alpens might be the first to go because of the small objective, but wondered because it is 8X. I have discovered from comparing scopes when it is too dark to see the antlers I just turn up the magnification setting. It lasted as long as the Vortex till 5:57; despite the Vortex having about 2 1/2X more objective area. The Nikons went to 6:07 and the Bushnell took me to 6:13.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Last fall I was in an Academy Sports and saw a box of these with a "Clearance" sticker on the box. No price and no display model, just a few boxes under the counter.

https://swfa.com/steiner-8x22-predator-binocular.html?___SID=U

I got a sales clerk to scan a box and the price came up $34.99. I told the guy if that price was accurate I'd take every pair he had.

The manager approved that price and I walked out with 5 pairs for less than the retail price of 1 pair. They ain't the best, but do fine in good light. Definitely a step up from what comes in blister packs for about the same money.

I kept 2 pair for my wife and I and the rest were Christmas presents.

Last edited by JMR40; 04/18/17.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a pair of Minox 8x20's that I carry in the car (as opposed to the 10x42's I carry in the truck). They really are not too bad. The eyecups extend to use them without glasses and for checking out stuff while driving the backroads from our place to town they work fine. I also use them turkey hunting as they fit into a vest pocket and are out of the way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FVA

I imagine they are finicky.. Not looking to use them for a dedicated hunting binoculars.
Mainly to carry around to get a closer look at something I already see during my daytime work activities.
..... The last 8 years that I worked my "semi-retirement" job before I fully retired I used to carry pocket binoculars to look at stuff during my daytime work activity. I was meter reading gas & electric meters and mostly did commercial work. Many times meters were enclosed behind chain link fence or barriers. Used pocket binoculars for those meters that only required me to visually get a single reading without having to reset anything. Now I'm gonna admit that I was usually carrying a pair of el-cheapo 8x 21mm Tasco pocket bino's. They were cheap, they did the job, and if I lost them or broke them I wasn't out much money. So if it's a situation like what mine used to be you could get by with a set of those, Mine would fall apart after 2 or 3 years and I'd get another. Here at home we have some Leupold Yosemites that are great but not for putting in a shirt pocket. Also have a set of Steiner Predator Pro 10x26mm that Cameraland had on sale a few years ago but I find the Yosemites preferable. But at least the Steiners are more "pocketable". In my truck a set of Leupold Rogue 10x25mm binos live in their case in the drivers door pocket.Those are nice but don't qualify for shirt pocket use either. So if top of the line optics aren't mandatory and its on the job I'd look into some of the cheap stuff. My Tasco's did what needed to be done work-wise and they were very cost effective. Still got a pair but don't use 'em. Now that I'm retired I can be more picky about optics.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Leica pocket binoculars have served me well the last two hunting seasons. Both hunts we experienced heavy downpours and they held up perfectly. I do rely heavily on my 8x32 ELs, but I definitely enjoy not having the added weight on long hikes looking for elk and deer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 16 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.