Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
JR sure like your avatar and quote! He was the guy who had been there!

Molon Labe
BP-B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
JR sure like your avatar and quote! He was the guy who had been there!

smile Thanks. My interest in Elmer basically started with my interest in handguns and a short while later expanded to firearms and hunting period. Reading his articles in various publications plus gradually acquiring many of his books became a regular search for info and experiences, some of which I'll never gain. In the early to mid 70's, I made a decision to go visit him and made arrangements with him by mail to do so. I actually met with him twice. On that 1st trip, I spent the day with him at his home in Salmon Idaho and the following photo is one I had him pose by my truck as I was preparing to leave.

[Linked Image]

The 2nd meeting was at a gun show in Kalispell Montana a year or two later. That was just after he had been awarded the 1st Handgunner of The Year award. I consider meeting Elmer the highlight of my experiences shooting, firearms involvement and hunting. smile

Being over gunned beats the alternative, Keith
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd like to get a SP10.
Until then I'll run Bismuth 3" mag #2's in an 1100 Magnum.

I do have an 870 Supermag for turkey, could use it on geese. Even turkey hunting, I only use 3" stuff. Reason I got it over the reg 870 Turkey model, 23" bbl instead of 21". Makes it a decent "general purpose" rig.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Was an SP10 at a shop not long ago, decent price....but had nasty gouge in buttstock.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/19/17.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
JR, cool story.. met him a couples also.. Something a guy doesn't forget.. He was the greatest.. Didn't always agree with him, but he had been there.. Have many of his articles some from the old Riflemen days.. wish there was some way to get it all together in one place..

Molon Labe
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Rem SP 10 maybe some day someone will take me goose hunting

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
JR, cool story.. met him a couples also.. Something a guy doesn't forget.. He was the greatest.. Didn't always agree with him, but he had been there.. Have many of his articles some from the old Riflemen days.. wish there was some way to get it all together in one place..

;)Even to this day, he still seems to have an influence on me and some of my choices. Not long ago, I contacted the manufacturer of his holster, as seen in the earlier photo of him standing by my truck. I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to my request to make a replica of it. The modern version has a covered trigger guard area, but they made mine the same as Keiths. Slight difference in colour but the same basic design and pattern.

[Linked Image]

I'd have to say, the 4" S&W model 29 is my favorite revolver/handgun. And the one in the following photo is further enhanced by 'wearing' a set of S&W factory ivory grips. I lucked into those at a local gun show and they're the first and only pair I've ever seen smile .

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve has been a goose (and duck) killing machine - plenty of used ones out there for good prices. They just keep on working and are reliable shotguns.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
JR super nice.44.

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'll sell my Swarovski's when I have to argue they are just as good as Bushnells (or leupolds or vortex) I'll sell my ten when
a. it gets too heavy! or
b. when I have to argue that it is "just as good as a twelve"

10's (if you can handload for them) are just the cat's ass for anything big or at longer range.

Do you NEED one? Of course not but you should WANT one! Now the choice between pump/double/auto gets interesting. Nice double up above btw...

I have had 3 BPS 10's and they just keep killing birds, from pheasants to turkeys. Load down to 1-1/4 of lead (pheasants)to 2-1/2 oz for turkeys.

For honkers a swarm of 1-1/2 oz bb's at 1500+ fps is good.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
JR super nice.44.

Thanks. What I have, I have to use in the field be that target shooting or hunting, with one exception. Having met Keith and in appreciation of his many contributions to the world of firearms and hunting, I have recently acquired my one and only 'Safe Queen'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I have a Rem SP 10 maybe some day someone will take me goose hunting

We have to remember to link up this year Dan, were live to close not.to

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by llamalover2
I'll sell my Swarovski's when I have to argue they are just as good as Bushnells (or leupolds or vortex) I'll sell my ten when
a. it gets too heavy! or
b. when I have to argue that it is "just as good as a twelve"

10's (if you can handload for them) are just the cat's ass for anything big or at longer range.

Do you NEED one? Of course not but you should WANT one! Now the choice between pump/double/auto gets interesting. Nice double up above btw...

I have had 3 BPS 10's and they just keep killing birds, from pheasants to turkeys. Load down to 1-1/4 of lead (pheasants)to 2-1/2 oz for turkeys.

For honkers a swarm of 1-1/2 oz bb's at 1500+ fps is good.

You don't happen to have a YouTube channel do you?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

You don't happen to have a YouTube channel do you? [/quote]

No I am lucky to get my cell phone to work!

Just made the mistake of patterning some new 2-1/2 oz lead nickel plated #4 yesterday, and have an almond size knot on my cheekbone today...

Brought back fond memories of an old hunt when I shot 17 of them at honkers to get my limit. couldn't shoot the next day just set up the dekes and watched the show!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Just made the mistake of patterning some new 2-1/2 oz lead nickel plated #4 yesterday, and have an almond size knot on my cheekbone today...

Brought back fond memories of an old hunt when I shot 17 of them at honkers to get my limit. couldn't shoot the next day just set up the dekes and watched the show!

Don't get that with a SBE3......

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
What are the components for that 2-1/2 oz SBE load? Would love to load some up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Browning Gold 10 for geese, but have to admit that I am more confident with my 12ga 3.5" because I shoot it way more. I have yet to find a good trap/dove load to shoot through that 10ga which would allow me to shoot it as much as my 12ga gun.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Are you guys loco en la cabeza?! crazy grin 2½ ozs. shot @ 1500fps, 10 gauge magnums that put almond size knots on your cheeks, 17 shots and you're so buggered you can't shoot the next day, etc., etc. ??? God looks out for folks like that, I suppose. Maybe not. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Are you guys loco en la cabeza?! crazy grin 2½ ozs. shot @ 1500fps, 10 gauge magnums that put almond size knots on your cheeks, 17 shots and you're so buggered you can't shoot the next day, etc., etc. ??? God looks out for folks like that, I suppose. Maybe not. smile

You've never shot s Gold 10 have you?

Less recoil than my extrema2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Gotta practice that reading comprehension stuff. I said 1-1/2 oz (of steel) at 1500 fps 2-1/2 oz (of lead) 1150 fps My point to him was there IS NO LOAD for 2-1/2 oz for a 12...

So his point was you can hunt with less gun and get kicked less, not exactly an unknown concept.

Yes I was a bit crazy back when lead was legal for honkers (1980) Being 20 aint for wimps!

I set up a cocky fella (little man syndrome) told him I was having trouble patterning my 10, wanted help from an expert...

He puffed up and shot about 6-7 as I fed him 2-1/2 oz loads as I shot 2 oz (dove loads!) I was cracking up the whole time cause I KNEW what they do to you!!

At about the 4th one he was shaking his head after the shot, then rubbing his cheek and eventually said I don't really want to shoot anymore Kevin...

Was it kinda mean? yep, Was it funny as hell?? YEPPPP!!!

And these don't compare to the 1-2/3 oz slug loads, I only had the balls to fire a couple of them and they are waiting on my blood trailing of a Cape buffalo with Capstick adventure...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.