Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone have any experience with this rifle in the newer versions? What is a reasonable accuracy expectation? Do they function reliably? Are they easily scoped?

Last edited by super T; 04/19/17.
ARIC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am sure that as always we will have a brisk discussion on this rifle. I have owned 3 of them but will not ever buy another. Firing pin breaks on hard military primers and as I understand it you got to send the thing ack to Ruger for a replacement. Accuracy with any type of ammo will never be as good as a DI gun, if you have to have one be sure and clean the gas port and op rod as it will rust. In my opinion it's overpriced for what it is, but some people like them and tell stories about their accuracy smile my favorite is the one where you spend $1000 over the price of the gun and then display 3 shot groups! Shoot 10 rounds and post that picture!

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's an American made AK

Advantage is stainless steel and no pistol grip--was CA legal for years.

In states where ARs are permitted, it is not the first choice

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if its what you want and it will produce groups small enough to keep you happy, then grab it and run.

I"m like a few others. Don't want one. M1A, yes, Mini 14 nope.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The design was updated about 10 years ago, the barrel was made with a thicker tube, stiffer, and reported as somewhat better in the overall accuracy.

The wood stock was largely replaced with the synthetic design, the front sight was smaller, and moved to the end of the barrel.

The older model were hit or miss on accuracy, I've had both. Haven't shot a newer version, so can't comment.

The Ranch model is designed to wear a scope, the rifle handles scopes very easy in my experience, standard Ruger rings, same size, usually 1 inch. The standard Mini receiver does not have the Ruger bases.

I like the looks of the older design, as stated above, if it meets your needs - run with it.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/19/17.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sub moa dog down all day, no. Minute of bad guy, yep.

I have 2 Mini 14's and 2 AR 15's. They each have good and bad characteristics in my opinion. If you like tricking things out go AR. If your happy with the supplied rings and a good scope mounted go Mini.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AH64guy
The design was updated about 10 years ago, the barrel was made with a thicker tube, stiffer, and reported as somewhat better in the overall accuracy.

The wood stock was largely replaced with the synthetic design, the front sight was smaller, and moved to the end of the barrel.

The older model were hit or miss on accuracy, I've had both. Haven't shot a newer version, so can't comment.

The Ranch model is designed to wear a scope, the rifle handles scopes very easy in my experience, standard Ruger rings, same size, usually 1 inch. The standard Mini receiver does not have the Ruger bases.

I like the looks of the older design, as stated above, if it meets your needs - run with it.

The Mini-14 made after 2005 with a 580-prefix serial number or higher are more consistant/generally more accurate than the earlier ones. Ruger made a few mods and retooled the production line.

Mine is about a 2MOA rifle with pretty much any ammo I've tried. Haven't done any special load development or mods so don't know how much better it could be.

Ranch rifles come with Ruger rings so very easy to scope.

S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks MikeL2, that's helpful. Currently I live in California for most of the year where AR's have been(for practical purposes)made illegal to own.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is an older model Ranch Rifle that I sent to Accuracy Systems. Fortunately for me, prices were better back then.

I did the stock work myself. Picatinny rail from Brownells.

http://www.accuratemini14.com/index.php

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
not a fair comparison. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
not a fair comparison. LOL

grin

Probably not, but it is a fine rifle.

I costs a few bucks to have a Mini shoot against even the least expensive AR, but it can be done.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BMT
It's an American made AK

Advantage is stainless steel and no pistol grip--was CA legal for years.

In states where ARs are permitted, it is not the first choice

I never cease to be amazed how lethal that pistol grip seems to be...

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To be fair it costs a few bucks to get a top line AR too...

Lethal pistol grips... hmm, thats a funny one, so it fits funny KA I guess.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
To be fair it costs a few bucks to get a top line AR too...

Lethal pistol grips... hmm, thats a funny one, so it fits funny KA I guess.

Probably should have said, equal money spent on a Mini and an AR, bet on the AR for better groups.

Mini probably tougher, less affected by dirt, etc., not sure if it's as tough as an AK.

I'd bet on a Mini outshooting an AK, especially the newer Mini with Ruger in-house, hammer forged barrels.

I've never liked AK's, never had one, never wanted one. I'm not much of a pray and spray advocate.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a forged AK.... have not been impressed with it either, had it since the 86? ban was going into effect, just to say FU to whichever idiot was banning importation at the time. So there. LOL. FWIW I'd take an SKS any day.. I've shot enough of them that are damn close to MOA guns to be impressed... sights and triggers still suck though...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had a Ruskie SKS. It went down the road some years ago.

Some people like them.

They don't ring my bell... grin

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older ranch and a newer tactical, both stainless. I really like how they handle and they are accurate enough for self defense and mid range predator or deer duty. I would say 2.5-5 MOA with M193 equivalent, which will do less than half that in a DI AR that is cheaper than a mini. They are frustrating because seem to show promise but always throw out a flier or two. Despite it all, I still rely on mine for defense over my AR. I just like the way they come to the shoulder and how they feel when they fire. If you want a mini because you *really* want an M1A, just get an M1A. They are quite a bit more gun at quite a bit more price.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the way they handle more than the AR. Never warmed up to that "lethal looking" pistol grip... shocked

Seriously, to me the AR feels clunky, the Mini handles more like a rifle should, IMO.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its subjective, but there are no armies using the mini as far as I know, I always wondered if the full auto guns beat themselves to pieces. The AR is an amazing weapon. I shot my 6.8spc yesterday and got acceptable groups with benchmark and 95 grain TSX bullets, it made a few 1 inch groups for a change, pretty happy with it today. The Mini is a 1-9 twist IIRC so not sure what bullets you plan on shooting, the 1-7 ar will stabilize the longest barnes and 75 grain swifts but I think a 1-8 will also. In short if you live in a place you cannot own an ar, then buy a stainless steel mini and be happy, I would use only Ruger magazines and I would buy a bunch of them. At self defense ranges it will more than work.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I like the way they handle more than the AR. Never warmed up to that "lethal looking" pistol grip... shocked

Seriously, to me the AR feels clunky, the Mini handles more like a rifle should, IMO.

DF

The gun that feels like a real gun is the M14/M1A. Still does to this day to the wife and I... Unfortunately we only have 2 of them full built match but not lugge,d MC stocks, Krieger tubes etc...

It took probably 2-3 years of the AR to learn the gun and learn to love it and its feel. Now it actually is much more familiar in our hands than the M1As.

Not sure that this makes sense, but love the feel of the M1A but the AR we shot so many years it is just now a react type of thing, you never think about it, grab it and go... its all still on auto pilot to load, shoot, clear a jam, change mags rapidly etc.... even though we quit matches in 2004....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.