Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents,
Came across this Surgeon .223 Rifle and it really rang my bell so to speak. The question at hand is can anyone pick out whether they are McMillan Remington Hunter(s) or McMillan Hunters. The latter being limited to a #4 contour barrel with a 1" cylinder. My purpose of this excercise is to replicate Surgeon .223 in 6.5mm...

[Linked Image]
Incredible little rifle off the Surgeon website in .223. Does not look like a Surgeon action with the rail extending past the front of the receiver. It DOES look #4ish on contour and maybe in the 1" range for cylinder. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]
Opposite side of a McMillan Remington Hunter

[Linked Image]
Thinking this a Remington Hunter from the amount of drop in the stock. Borden Action. Ideas....

[Linked Image]
Mcmillan Hunter #1

[Linked Image]
McMillan Hunter #2

The barrel listed on the Surgeon Site is a "20 Heavy Palma #4 Contour". Never heard of that, however, that does not mean all that much. Anyone?

Thank you..

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That pic with bipod and scope is a MountainRifle stock.

Hard to tell the diff between the two "hunters" in pics as the fore end width is all that changes.

I prefer the McM Hunter fwiw

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean

Hard to tell the diff between the two "hunters" in pics as the fore end width is all that changes.

Mountain Rifle doesn't have a cheekpiece that big...

My guess is if the stock in question is inletted for a #20 Palma, it's a Rem Hunter as I think a McM Hunter would have an issue with that much barrel.

Tanner

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The stock in the pic with the bipod is a Holland stock, made for them by McMillan.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That action must be an RSR instead of a 591, not sure if they still produce those.

The contour sure doesn't look like a heavy palma to me, I'd go with your first stab at it being a #4 or so.

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by timl
The stock in the pic with the bipod is a Holland stock, made for them by McMillan.

Truth.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Surgeon is a McMillan Hunter. The grip is the give-away.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
arent they the same stock except one has a wider (varmit rifle) forearm for larger barrels ?

if this is the case order the one that will work best with the barrel contour you want to use...and as others have stated the stock with the borden action in it is a mcmillan stock made to Darrel Hollands specifications with a high comb for larger scopes....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gene270
arent they the same stock except one has a wider (varmit rifle) forearm for larger barrels ?

if this is the case order the one that will work best with the barrel contour you want to use...and as others have stated the stock with the borden action in it is a mcmillan stock made to Darrel Hollands specifications with a high comb for larger scopes....

I think this is correct.
I have several Mcmillan hunter stocks and had one Remington hunter stock. The latter was wider and squarish, as opposed to being rounded like the Mcmillan hunter. I did not care for the Remington hunter.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
That shank is way longer than an 1" more like 2" and for a 223 Rem I prefer a 1" shank,
some builders just like to use the whole shank like it's too much trouble to shorten it!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Higbean

Mountain Rifle doesn't have a cheekpiece that big...

My guess is if the stock in question is inletted for a #20 Palma, it's a Rem Hunter as I think a McM Hunter would have an issue with that much barrel.

Tanner

Also, the Mountain Rifle style that McM Copied from Remington has a classic style comb, not a monte carlo style.

I'm a big fan of the McM Hunter style and have them installed on Remington 700 SAs, Ruger 77 Hawkeye SAs, and Vanguard2s. The V2s are good rifles out of the box, but swapping stocks in the 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor made them much better, even if the stock were each a bit more expensive than the complete rifles were when I bought them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.