Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
95% of my mowing is with a garden tractor but I have some small areas where the tractor is a real PIA to maneuver. I need to get a push mower. Has any had experience with the battery operated electrics? I had a corded one many years ago that worked fine but I haven't tried one of the new ones.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
they sure work great on tv....lol

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't know much about them but I would be inclined to buy something with an engine.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'd save your money......I bought one of these 7 yrs ago

for tight spots around yard....still use it...1-2 pulls in

the spring after winter storage...been a good one......

https://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Boy-177...&sr=1-1&keywords=lawn+boy+mowers

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm not old enough to use one of those.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd just get a line trimmer if the areas are small. The new cordless ones seem pretty nice.

If you need a mower, I'd skip the electric.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's what I do (line trimmer), but I don't know HOW big your PIA areas are.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my opinion, you'd be better off with a cheap, gasoline mower.

They sell some decent ones for under a buck fifty.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Most of it is my front lawn which is only 1000 sq ft with a deck and lots of flowers. A line trimmer wouldn't work well. I use my tractor for the big back yard and orchard.

So far, no one has responded who has actually used one. The reviews on them are actually pretty good unless the writer is trying to use one to mow a pasture.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a cordless at our old place. It sucked. If you (in my case the wife) forgot to plug it in or unplugged it, it was a day before you could mow. That's a problem here in the Spring when it rains 6 days out of 7 and the grass is growing an inch a day. Even when charged it was barely enough to mow our very small yard. With wet grass or long grass I sometimes couldn't get through the whole lawn.

It didn't have a trickle charger so I was constantly concerned about over charging it.

Get a cheap small gas one. Instant power any time.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one was bought about 8 years ago, so the tech may have improved. But I'd still shy away.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My neighbor had one. Piece of cshit.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Battery operated tools have improved dramatically in recent years, especially since the invention of the lithium batteries. I wouldn't be without my battery drill and recip saw. I was wondering if the new tech has reached the lawn mowers yet. Models from even 5 years ago were crap but the way that tech has improved, things have changed a lot.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
20+ years back we went from cutting acres to having a small yard I sold the rider and started using cordless electric mowers. After a couple of ok mowers I now have IMHO the best there is a EGO mower with a 56V Lithium ION.

Why is it the best?

With 56V it has the power of a 3.5 HP gas mover.
It will cut the yard several times before needing a recharge.
The battery pops right out and is easy to put on charger
Super easy 1 handle height adjustment.
It will fold in half and sit upright, takes very little room in the garage.

The Wife loves it and cuts all the grass her self! I have not had to bother with cutting grass in years!!

Last edited by old_willys; 04/20/17.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_willys
20+ years back we went from cutting acres to having a small yard I sold the rider and started using cordless electric mowers. After a couple of ok mowers I now have IMHO the best there is a EGO mower with a 56V Lithium ION.

Why is it the best?

With 56V there is has the power of a 3.5 HP gas mover.
will cut the yard several times before needing a recharge.
The battery pops right out and is easy to put one charge
Super easy 1 handle height adjustment.
It will fold in half and sit upright, takes very little room in the garage.

The Wife loves it and cuts all the grass her self! I have not had to bother with cutting grass in 10 years!!

Well now, if it comes with a way to get the wife to mow the lawn - then I need to look into one.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I got a kick out of a review I read for a Greenworks mower at Lowes. The guy rated it very high and said he's bought 10 of them, 4 in the last year. He didn't say what he was doing with them.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
watch the replacement cost of the power unit. sometimes the cost for the battery alone exceeds the cost of the whole machine!
i use battery powered everything being off grid. so far i like the new Makita's the best. the down side is a 17 inch cutting head. i went from 1 acre lawn to a 500 sq ft lawn recently and it works. best thing is the wife can mow and not wake me up from my 1st nap grin !

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/20/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I did have a battery fail after 2 years, EGO was super easy to work with and send a free replacement no questions asked.

Another great product is their Blower rated best in the industry and uses the same battery type. I was able to order just the blower and use my mower battery / charger.

The only down side of the Blower is the wife thinks it is too powerful. Claims she didn’t see the neighbor walking over to say hi and the blower nearly knocked him over when she turned around smile

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stopped using one after the batteries started being a pain. Do not let the grass get too high between cuttings. Always had to make sure the battery was charged. Got a second battery to keep hot and just in case I needed more power to finish cutting. Batteries are costly. I used a gas mower now.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by deerstalker
watch the replacement cost of the power unit. sometimes the cost for the battery alone exceeds the cost of the whole machine!
i use battery powered everything being off grid. so far i like the new Makita's the best. the down side is a 17 inch cutting head. i went from 1 acre lawn to a 500 sq ft lawn recently and it works. best thing is the wife can mow and not wake me up from my 1st nap grin !

When I was looking for my mower most were 17" but the EGO has 20" and a self propelled 21" model.

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.