Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
I can honestly say that my needs & desires are met in the arsenal I have.

I'm somewhat surprised in 'some' cals/cartridges that are occupying so much interest these days. I really don't know if some are genuinely interested or merely curious. As for myself I have NO interest in much of the NEW 'sensational' offerings.

To me 'less' is not more. OTOH some of the newer HOT rounds don't appeal to me **because** they're burning much more powder than they gain in performance.

I've spent a lot if yrs. and effort attaining and developing my 'herd'. Out of all, there is only ONE that may not stay. If it leaves, I will not have a void in the performance scale. I love the rifle, the cartridge - uh so so.

One advantage of Old Age is contentment.

That's not to say there aren't a few rifles/cartridges I'd like to PLAY with - a
416 RM being one. I don't need it so I have no regrets.

Jerry
Need has nothing to do with it,want is good enough. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
When I see something I want, I'm thinking "I need that"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Suppressors and really long bullets requiring fast twist.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I can honestly say that my needs & desires are met in the arsenal I have.

I'm somewhat surprised in 'some' cals/cartridges that are occupying so much interest these days. I really don't know if some are genuinely interested or merely curious. As for myself I have NO interest in much of the NEW 'sensational' offerings.

To me 'less' is not more. OTOH some of the newer HOT rounds don't appeal to me **because** they're burning much more powder than they gain in performance.

I've spent a lot if yrs. and effort attaining and developing my 'herd'. Out of all, there is only ONE that may not stay. If it leaves, I will not have a void in the performance scale. I love the rifle, the cartridge - uh so so.

One advantage of Old Age is contentment.

That's not to say there aren't a few rifles/cartridges I'd like to PLAY with - a
416 RM being one. I don't need it so I have no regrets.

Jerry

frown

You're a blamed 'enabler' ! whistle grin grin
How about loaning me one ?? wink
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Probably something that I don't have that will do nothing better than something I all ready have, and I will not know the difference. One of the fun things about being a "Loony".

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Don't see the slightest similarity between 6mmRem, 243Win, 6mm Creed, 250Sav, 257Rob, 260Rem, 6.5 Creed, 7mm08Rem, 7x57, 308Win, 338Fed, and 358Win.
Everyone needs one of each.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can see that caseless ammo would have some advantages for the military, but not so much for the rest of us. Unless something an order of magnitude better shows up, metallic cartridges will be with us for a long time yet.

Almost any technology that has had a long period of incremental improvement will only be displaced by something revolutionary. The internal combustion engine is another good example.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It will be interesting to see what opportunities caseless ammunition offers the handloader.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, I can personally testify that you can hold caseless rounds in your hand. Is that what you mean by "handloading"?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe that Wolfe has an entire magazine devoted to holding rounds in one's hand. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

frown

Jerry

hmmm, no reply.
Ken, I thot we were friends ! confused

I'm so disappointed ! frown

grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm pretty much set in life I don't feel the need for any new kinda caliber...

if I rebarrel something to a cal I don't have, it will be a 17 or 20 caliber... and that's about it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They could reinvigorate many of the old and already popular cartridges eg 25-06, 270 Win and (to a lesser extent) 243 Win and the 8mm cartridges by introducing new rifles with fast twists in the 1-7 to 1-8 rate range, at the same time introducing low drag bullets to make use of the twist.

Nosler is well placed to do this as they make both rifles and bullets. Ruger via their close relationship with Hornady similarly could go down this road.

A 25-06 shooting a VLD in the 140g range could have a BC of 0.7+ and all those of us tooled up with 25-06 stuff wouldn't have to run out and buy a 6.5 Creed!

The marketing would combine the best of the old, tried and tested, with the latest and greatest tech enabled by laser rangefinders and non melting tips... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, I think I read through ALL the posts (unlike some other threads wink ) so I'll toss in my idea about "what's next".

I see a distinct decrease in interest for long range hunting in the not too distant future.

Folks will get interested in ..................

Wait for it now,

Short Range Hunting!

They will brag about getting within 10 feet ( +/- 3 meters for you foreigners) instead of "over 600 yards" and will be breaking out certified tape measures or laser measuring devices to get the actual distance from muzzle to the animal (all able to be recorded in real time if one has the money) so they can have friendly competition with their compadres in hunting camp.

The technological advances in measuring to the nearest mm (+/- 1/25th of an inch for those metrically challenged) will allow companies to have an "arms race" of sorts to see who comes out with the fanciest product with the most exciting bells and whistles on it, able at a moment's notice to link to your "devices" or across the world by satellite to the governing board of the Close Up Hunters Social Club.

Stainless new age alloys will predominate as hunting up close will get folks out of their tower blinds, pop up blinds, back porch windows, and pick up trucks. They will have to expose all that newly purchased gear to the elements.(so they can keep up with the times and not look like some old fuddy duddy STILL doing the long range thing).

Ammunition technology will go to uncharted territory with big fat bullets at reasonable speeds and no BC to speak of. Powder technology may change too, to really fast, some might say explosive powders of only a few gradations. The ammo companies will develop brightly colored packaging and new catchy slogans to convince the newbie short range shooters that they just have to go out and purchase their product to get the ultimate in short range accuracy. Some bullets may even come with a wonderful space age cellulosic coating applied in special folding machinery.

Firearms will come with a "one hole group" guarantee at 10 feet when using the manufacturer's preferred (read that as "our powder subsidiary") recipe. Bug hole groups will be passé, as a rather large bug will be able to pass through the one hole group of these new short range bullets. Using an appropriate caliber, a 3 shot one hole group might even let a small mammal (vole, shrew, meadow mouse?) pass through, to heck with bugs.

Some hunters of a certain age, should we survive long enough to see the fad in long range technology they call "hunting" end, will be WAY ahead of the game as we still use ancient technology to hunt; like quiet wool clothing, moccersins, smokepoles, we watch the wind but not for the effect on the bullet, and sometimes we even wear a Fedora or tuque. Perhaps more importantly, we enjoy getting close to the quarry rather than shooting at extended ranges.

I await your responses, but not right now, I'm going to go make an investment in Goex!

Geno

PS I'm not a gunwriter, just a guy who hunts occasionally. So perhaps my comments don't count? grin

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/24/17. Reason: PS

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

frown

Jerry

hmmm, no reply.
Ken, I thot we were friends ! confused

I'm so disappointed ! frown

grin

Jerry
Patience Jerry,some of us work. grin

Don't have a .416 RM anymore,too small for jackrabbits.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Patience Jerry,some of us work. grin

Don't have a .416 RM anymore,too small for jackrabbits.

Oh, sorry about that, didn't mean to be impatient. I hate waiting. grin

Glad you're equipped for jackrabbits. laugh
I thot you had a 416 anyway. I've always liked the looks of the 416 RM. Makes no sense but since when did loonies make sense?

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/24/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Had the RM and a Rigby. If I was to chose between the two,it would be the RM.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CRS
If congress can get the suppressor bill passed and rid them of all the BS associated with them, that market will explode.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
Guns would be made different and short barrels to limit overall length would become shorter. Integral moderators would be all new to many manufacturers. And if y'all thnk you had a enough of creedmores, All the suppressed rifles would bein some short action to again limit length......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They will brag about getting within 10 feet ( +/- 3 meters for you foreigners) instead of "over 600 yards" and will be breaking out certified tape measures or laser measuring devices to get the actual distance from muzzle to the animal (all able to be recorded in real time if one has the money) so they can have friendly competition with their compadres in hunting camp.

I wonder if this will lead to an arms race of long-barreled rifles (to shorten the distance even more)?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bhemry

I wonder if this will lead to an arms race of long-barreled rifles (to shorten the distance even more)?

laugh laugh laugh

Yeah, nice thinking, like an old Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifle..............only longer?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (2500HD, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.