Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
We have had ultra mags, we have had short mags, now we have Nosler mags. We have had a lot of mostly miss new cartridges in the last few years.

I have several of them, 26 Nosler, 270 and 300 WSM's. I like them, but didn't really need them.

What will they come out with next to make us spend our money?

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Every new cartridge will have "Creedmoor" on it. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
We have had ultra mags, we have had short mags, now we have Nosler mags. We have had a lot of mostly miss new cartridges in the last few years.

I have several of them, 26 Nosler, 270 and 300 WSM's. I like them, but didn't really need them.

What will they come out with next to make us spend our money?

J.B. Calls this "churn", stirring up business with new stuff and making us feel like we gotta have it. Since firearms are pretty much the epitome of durable goods, and we've largely pushed the envelope as far as it can go, even allowing for new powders and bullets, I'm not sure what comes next; maybe long-action magnum ARs? I don't think the current WSM ARs are setting any sales records, so that's likely a wash.

New shooters currently running Tupperware rifles will be good candidates for upgrades in time, I suppose, but many of them might just decide that cheap and accurate is the new normal for rifles, kinda like Glocks are the new normal for handguns.

I have noticed that a couple of Euro arms companies are getting into optics and other accessories, but that's been done here, at least with clothing, with only modest results. Browning used to sell rebranded Bushnells and maybe Pentaxes, but gave it up.

Maybe it's time for a new brush cartridge.😜

What fresh Hell is this?
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
With all things wonderful in the 6,5 world, I'm surprised we don't have a factory 6.5 WSM? I have two 270 WSM's. I'm thinking about having one made. I guess it would be about like a 264 Win mag? I have 3 of those, so I don't really need a 6.5 WSM, but I might have one rebarreled just for the fun of it.

You can't have too many rifles!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Maybe a mid-priced Ruger No. 1 clone. Something in the $600-$700 US range.

I guess a lot of people still want overpowered cartridges, but it would be nice to have a 30-30 class cartridge in a Farquharson-style rifle. Something with nice looking lines that isn't $1500.

You could chamber the usual suspects (but not released at the same time). By that I mean the 22 Hornet, 303 British, 30-30, 7x57R. Or re-release the 375 Win, 307 Win.

I'd like to see something with nicer lines than an H&R or even the new Henry single shots.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

anything BUT creedmoor.

Too much banana pudding will make you sick.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
25 Cal: Stevens rimfire, hornet ai, Creedmoor, 308, 284, push the ought 6, etc.
Push the idea of a 22, 25, 30 Cal battery?
Light recoil deer ammo and rifle builds?
Extreme sectional density?
Of course, silencers, maybe as part of the rifle to keep barrels short?
Switch barrels with scope on the barrel? Buy a stock that fits, a good trigger, run anything from your preferred cartridge. If done with a two piece stock, as a take down, even better.
A real metal, top loading, built in rotary mag bolt rifle.
That's it, a take down, swap barrel, bolt action model 1899, tang safety, Rem 700 or Winchester trigger. Only in left hand, so the rest of you know what it's like.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Or, tho I know compared to the above, it's asking a lot...
How about some adl type rifles? Screw the detachable magazines.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My own personal dream is a fine single shot in 303 Brit. Even better would be a double. The #1 in 303 is beautiful,but how about a remake of the graceful Savage 219 in such for a much more reasonable price? The rantings of a fevered, twisted mind.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe a Ruger American in 35 Rem, 338 Federal or 358 WCF matte or SS with 20 or 22 inch tubes.
Just a thought.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 04/21/17.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

You say that in jest but I think the "less is more" concept is gaining ground. So I'd look for more cartridges similar to the Creedmoor, moderate capacities but built to handle long bullets.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The new Henry break-action looks good in the pictures, and is reasonably priced. Among the initial cartridge offerings will be the good old .308, not too far from your .303.

I've flirted a bit with old-timers (.348 and .22 Hornet), but now I'm mainly about getting the rifle I want, and almost any cartridge will do, within reason. I've seen pretty much zero difference in performance on deer between the various rounds I've used, and the better availability of components and data for standard rounds is a bonus to me.

If you can't find a .303 No.1 at a bargain price, one of the 7.62x39s might be a candidate for re-chambering. They've been on sale here and there.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A nimble double rifle in .375 Winchester.
A 2/3 scale Savage 99 for the .221/.222/.223 family of cartridges.
Plywood stocks are outlawed for sporting use.
Self-limiting/maximum pressure gun powder.
Figured walnut grown in a petri dish in a lab.

LOL
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
hanco,

The new trend is already here, and a general term for it might be "tactical." It includes AR's and bolt-actions with detachable magazines scopes that can be dialed up and down without wearing out, etched "ballistic" reticles, and either synthetic stocks designed primarily for prone, or "chassis" stocks that can be adjusted in various ways.

Those are the hot sellers these days (which many manufacturers have confirmed), partly because competitive rifle shooting of various kinds is becoming very popular. I suspect this is partly because going hunting has become more difficult and expensive for most Americans: It's easier to shoot on a range, and competitive shooters are far more willing to spend money on rifles and scopes than the average deer hunter. The average deer hunter tends to flinch when rifles or scopes cost more than $500, but competitive shooters are willing to spend several times that for both.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The average deer hunter tends to flinch when rifles or scopes cost more than $500, but competitive shooters are willing to spend several times that for both.

I think there is also an element of 'P.T. Barnum Syndrome' and Hollywood at play as well; the thinking that money can make one a sniper simply by paying. It is both curious and a bit troubling to watch someone tinker with their shiny (or new-looking anyway) hi-tech stuff, and watching them 'carefully and meticulously' scatter a dozen holes - or a few of them anyway- across a target over a painfully long period of time.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is a world of re-invention with nothing going on now for nearly 130 years. John Browning took the 1873 Winchester and made a semi-automatic out of it and before the turn of the century he ad a full automatic weapon functioning reliably.

Smokeless powder was invented in 1884 and put to use before the turn of the century, and so were jacketed bullets and bottleneck cases.

Today a 1911 is still considered modern, smokeless powder and other shooting components are pretty much the same as they were for over a hundred years. Improvements have been made, but other than slight modifications, nothing much is new in the last 100 years.

No complaints here though, as I still like reciprocating V-8 engines and rifles/pistols that shoot smokeless powder. I am content with the lack of innovation, and really can't call a Creedmore, Short Magnums, AR platforms or polymer pistols, innovative.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about stretching the .284 Winchester case out to 2.53 inches and making it a .30-caliber? Or even .338? I might buy that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HitnRun hit the nail on the head. We are, regardless of innovations and improvements, enthusiasts of 19th century technology.....smokeless powder in a brass case propelling a metal projectile from a hand held combustion chamber called a rifle. And I, for one, wouldn't have it any other way. Newer, better ways of propelling a projectile are inevitable...the military is already working with using magnetic fields as the propulsion force....but the rifle as I know it is what I want to play with and hunt with. I hope the industry can do enough churning to keep themselves in business so I can buy their products smile.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I want a dark matter powered, air bolus firing rifle. Load it once, hunt for life.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Caseless ammo.

Optical rifle scopes replaced by electronic scopes with built-in ballistic calculators.

Be not weary in well doing.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.