Topic Options
#11977846 - 04/17/17 Newbie kayak owner questions
Calhoun Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Eastern Nebraska
Okay, bought another toy I probably won't end up using as much as I would like. But going to give it a try.

Got a 12' fishing kayak coming, the Field & Stream Eagle Talon. Mostly for use on a 50 acre fishing lease I'm on, big largemouth (for Nebraska) and bluegill, some crappie. Had a single person inflatable pontoon, and I loved fishing from it but it rows like a barge. Just too slow to get around in.

So I'm going to want a paddle, obviously, and sounds like replacing the seat is something pretty much all the owners agree with. But I'm a total newbie for this stuff. What should I be looking for in a paddle, and what price range? And any hints on a seat that will provide decent back support without breaking the bank?

Oh yeah.. also suggestions for roof rack carriers? Thule looks great, if I want to spend more money on the carrier than I did on the kayak. grin

Waiting on it to arrive, but this is what it will look like.

RV 728 BP
#11979792 - 04/18/17 Re: Newbie kayak owner questions [Re: Calhoun]
oklahunter Offline
Campfire Regular

You may want to think about mounting a small trolling motor. It's just easier to fish if you don't have to mess with a paddle all the time, picking it up, putting it down, not having it float away, tangling a tether, etc. You can save the battery by paddling to where you'll start fishing and then secure the paddle and switch to using the trolling motor. Since you are not focusing on kayaking, just get an inexpensive aluminum shaft kayak paddle like you'll find at any canoe/kayak float outfitter.

#11986121 - 04/20/17 Re: Newbie kayak owner questions [Re: Calhoun]
LouisB Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: TN
OPEN arm Life Jacket

The kind of water you are going to fish makes for different rigging.
IF you are not on white water the a paddle leash/tether is handy.
See of you can spray foam your paddle so it will float.
The infamous milk crate or other gear/rod system
Lashed cooler

#11987008 - 04/21/17 Re: Newbie kayak owner questions [Re: Calhoun]
Calhoun Offline
Campfire Oracle

Appreciate it. Definitely not planning on any white water, unless a squall pops up unexpectedly and even then I'm only a 100 yards from shore. But life jacket is definite. This is just to scoot around ponds/small lakes.

I've actually thought about putting a trolling motor on my inflatable pontoon, that would be slick and I might still do it. But a bit of exercise on the kayak is probably a better idea, I sit at a desk too much as it is. grin

Browsing through paddles last day or two. Holy cow is there a lot of options. Think I'll pass on the $250+ carbon fiber ones. Probably start off with a reasonable aluminum 96".

#11988190 - 04/21/17 Re: Newbie kayak owner questions [Re: Calhoun]
JMR40 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Georgia
I'm not able to help with the seat, but I bought a 12' Wilderness Tarpon model a few years back. I could have bought some cheaper boats, but the good seat and light weight sold me on this one.

I don't see the need for the fancy paddles, especially for what you and I do. There are plenty of $30-$50 options that work fine. I would suggest a rod holder and a paddle leash. For the guys who paddle long range trips of 30-40 miles in a day might need the expensive ones.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-no-limits-kayak-paddle#repChildCatid=3918069

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/attwood-heavy-duty-adjustable-rod-holder#repChildCatid=760754

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yak-gear-baja-36-paddle-leash#repChildCatid=1027304

There are a couple of small lakes where we use them, but mostly in local rivers. We get together with a group, park one truck at the take out point and put in 5-15 miles up stream and float back fishing along the way. No white water here, but a few shallows and rocks to maneuver around.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

#11989326 - 04/22/17 Re: Newbie kayak owner questions [Re: Calhoun]
LouisB Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: TN
96" is a bit short for my sitting position in my 1 person canoe, but should be about right or a bit long for a kayak. See if you can borrow one from someone to test for your comfortable length.

I always use a kayak paddle in the canoes now and find I really appreciate the versatility they offer.

#11993491 - Yesterday at 07:31 AM Re: Newbie kayak owner questions [Re: Calhoun]
Calhoun Offline
Campfire Oracle

This kayak actually comes with a rod holder, it can be seen in the photo I linked in. Also comes with an anchor, which will also be nice if it'll hold.

Appreciate the comments on the oars. I didn't think I needed anything fancy, but would also hate to buy something that turned out to be junk. There are a couple of small rivers that I may eventually get around to paddling down - would be a fun half day trip with some nice catfishing along the way. grin

JMR, what did you do for racking the kayak for hauling it around?

And LouisB, appreciate the comment on canoe. I've got a 14' canoe that hasn't seen much water and was thinking of taking it out with the kayak paddle.

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
OX 160 1
LJ 160 2
Who's Online
386 registered (22250rem, 1OntarioJim, 117LBS, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 45 invisible), 966 Guests and 687 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RBCN 160 3

Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.