Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Doing my part to corner the market on K frames.

Don
Pre-83, I hope.

Oh, yeah. Got a 5 screw K-38 Masterpiece on it's way to me.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
humpback, the original airweight bodyguard...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
I just bought a Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt / 45 ACP. I am looking for a 629 Mountain Gun now.

Let me know how you like that one. I've been chewing on picking one (or a pair) of those up for several months now.

In the past year I've purchased more revolvers than auto's. I generally shoot revolvers more than auto's as well, mainly to avoid picking up brass.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
SP101 .357 with the fiber optic sights at 51 yards. grin

[Linked Image]
That's the four inch one?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some one said "Revolvers will work when all else fails" But my logic say's
My S&W SD9 & My SD40 will continue to pump out shots long after your Six shooter runs out of bullets. I do love the looks of a revolver and I do own one. But for my use out here in no-man's land I want firepower.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rondrews
My S&W SD9 & My SD40 will continue to pump out shots long after your Six shooter runs out of bullets. I do love the looks of a revolver and I do own one. But for my use out here in no-man's land I want firepower.
That's where I arrived a few years ago, too. Going dry after five or six rounds just lacks the comfort level of having 18 on tap in a Glock 17 that I can shoot just as well. I still like and buy revolvers, though.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

My take on this is entirely different. I practice weekly with my revolver, and I figure if I can't take care of business in 6 shots due to a multiple threat environment, then I need to change my neighborhood, not my handgun.

Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only 5 in the last 8 months...no plastic

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

My take on this is entirely different. I practice weekly with my revolver, and I figure if I can't take care of business in 6 shots due to a multiple threat environment, then I need to change my neighborhood, not my handgun.

Don
Live in a gated community, or a country estate?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me it's current state of the art semi-autos for carry, bedside security and possible road rage countermeasures.

For long range shooting it's revolvers, although a once mighty herd of varied large bores has been thinned down to two Ruger .357's, one SA and one DA.

For fun plinking and more long range shooting, again it's semi-autos in .22 LR, specifically two Ruger Mk III's and an SR-22.

I keep perusing gunbroker for a new .22 revolver since I cut my teeth on them and they are still my sentimental favorite but know that the chances of finding one that will outshoot those two Ruger Mk III's are slim and slimmer.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

Don
Live in a gated community, or a country estate?

Nope. Live in a rural area of NYS. Cities here only have 25,000 - 35,000 people. Wouldn't live in an urban area if you paid me.

Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Are people still buying revolvers? "

Someone must be buying them, because the prices for the classic S & W revolvers ain't doing nothing but going up!

So far this year I have been lucky enough to find:

18-3
24-3 Lew Horton
686+
and a Ruger GP100 44 Spl.

So am certainly doing my part....

Last edited by TimZ; 04/19/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

My S&W SD9 & My SD40 will continue to pump out shots long after your Six shooter runs out of bullets.

Are you sure about that? grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Live in a rural area of NYS. Cities here only have 25,000 - 35,000 people. Wouldn't live in an urban area if you paid me.

Don
The town I live in has less than 6,000 residents (and one traffic light) and I don't see it as unreasonable to expect that 1) I might be the (at least attempted) victim of assault/robbery, and that if I am, 2) there might be more than one assailant involved. Six chambers in a revolver cylinder can go dry very fast. Five even faster.

Sure, if you are targeted, chances are good that five or six rounds will work out just fine, but what about the minority case where it doesn't?

I'm not saying that a revolver is a bad choice for self-defense. I'm just refuting your suggestion that you will only need more if you live in a big city.

Keep in mind that police officers (who make their living with handguns as central tools) only have about an average of 25% accuracy on target during gun fights. You might be a bit better, but under stress you never know. With two or more armed assailants, only landing 25% of your five or six rounds (that's just one or two rounds on target before you run dry) may add up to a problem for you, especially since you have no immediate access to backup like the police typically do, often right there with them on scene, and even with that you likely couldn't talk a cop (whether his AO is rural or urban) into a five or six round magazine for his Glock.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Absolutely, whats not to like about a S&W wheel gun!

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear

My S&W SD9 & My SD40 will continue to pump out shots long after your Six shooter runs out of bullets.

Are you sure about that? grin

Yeah - but you ain't Jerry.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Keep in mind that police officers (who make their living with handguns as central tools) only have about an average of 25% accuracy on target during gun fights.

None of the police officers that I have known (and some of them are pretty gunny) would agree that the handgun is a central tool. They will also tell you that most of their brothers are not very competent with a handgun.

But your point is still valid. Being rural doesn't guarantee safety from multiple attackers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still a fan of revolvers, and I might buy another (S&W 69 calling out to me). But autos are a priority any more.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Still a fan of revolvers ... But autos are a priority any more.
Agreed on both points.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Live in a rural area of NYS. Cities here only have 25,000 - 35,000 people. Wouldn't live in an urban area if you paid me.

Don
The town I live in has less than 6,000 residents (and one traffic light) and I don't see it as unreasonable to expect that 1) I might be the (at least attempted) victim of assault/robbery, and that if I am, 2) there might be more than one assailant involved. Six chambers in a revolver cylinder can go dry very fast. Five even faster.

Sure, if you are targeted, chances are good that five or six rounds will work out just fine, but what about the minority case where it doesn't?

I'm not saying that a revolver is a bad choice for self-defense. I'm just refuting your suggestion that you will only need more if you live in a big city.

Keep in mind that police officers (who make their living with handguns as central tools) only have about an average of 25% accuracy on target during gun fights. You might be a bit better, but under stress you never know. With two or more armed assailants, only landing 25% of your five or six rounds (that's just one or two rounds on target before you run dry) may add up to a problem for you, especially since you have no immediate access to backup like the police typically do, often right there with them on scene, and even with that you likely couldn't talk a cop (whether his AO is rural or urban) into a five or six round magazine for his Glock.

First, most police officers are not gun guys. They qualify once or twice a year, and that is pretty much the extent of their handgun usage. If you feel it is not unreasonable that you may be assaulted by one or more individuals where you live, then you should reconsider where you have decided to live. I live out in the country where I would be more likely to be assaulted by a deer. In fact I was last week - one ran into the side of my car while I was driving to work. Guess we're gonna just have to agree to disagree on this.

Don

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
436 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 45 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.