Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not an easy issue. I'm getting two distinct velocity distributions with my subsonic loads. Loads made at the same time with the exact same components. When I shoot I get the two different velocities occurring randomly during the shot string. I've meticulously checked the powder charge. I verified my chronograph is working by shooting standard velocity 22's at 1021 fps.

My AR pistol: 300 Blackout, 7 1/2 barrel, 1 in 8 twist
Loading: 209gr, coated cast, w/gas check, Federal 205 primer, seated 0.017" off rifling, LC brass trimmed +/- .001", no crimp, neck tension appears good - uniform bullet seating force although not measured. All rounds fired with suppressor-no evidence of hit(s).

With 9.4 grains of H110, V1ave = 1112, 10 STDev and V2ave = 987, 9 STdev: number of rounds = 15

I've replicated this exact issue at 9.0 grains with 10 rounds and get two velocity populations separated by 99 fps with the same exceptionally tight distribution.

I saw a similar issue with 195gr coated cast bullets but don't have as much data. Moved onto the 209's immediately.

I've order Pufflon case filler - that's the only thing I think might fix this.

Your thoughts?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Your case is much less than full.

Some powders are position sensitive, and some are not. If H110 is position sensitive, you will get distinctly different results if you lower your muzzle into position (powder at the rear of the case) vs. raise it into position (powder at the front of the case).

If you think that's an issue, I have some notes on a few powders that are sensitive/not sensitive that I could look through for you.

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
With such loads a "bimodal" result also can occur due to bullet "pull," the tension from the case neck--unless we select cases carefully for neck thickness, then anneal, size and perhaps even crimp them as exactly the same as possible.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agree the case is not filled but it isn't all that empty given how deep the bullet is seated. I also suspect fill capacity is the root cause.

Neck tension variability isn't likely the issue given this is all once fired Lake City brass prepared identically and while seating bullets I observed no difference in seating force. Neck tension causing 10% velocity variation seems excessive, in my experience.

If the filler, Pufflon, doesn't work I'll anneal all my cases.

Accuracy, even with the large velocity variation, is acceptable although supersonic loads with jacketed 110's is noticably better.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
With such loads a "bimodal" result also can occur due to bullet "pull," the tension from the case neck--unless we select cases carefully for neck thickness, then anneal, size and perhaps even crimp them as exactly the same as possible.

Yes, bullet pull and momentum has always been a big factors with H110,296 and AA#9.

Also,none of these powders I mentioned are ideal for reduced loads.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had read of others having "flash over" issues with H110 but also found several cases of H110 being successfully used in subsonic loads. The "flash over" issues were attributed to early versions of H110 - no mention of what may have changed.

Why would one powder of a similar burn rate be more susceptible to neck tension than another?

I have subsonic load data for W296/H110 with 7 different bullets, 190-225 grain, in three different weapons with no mention of neck tension issues. The load development data shows no evidence of a bimodal problem given the near linear velocity increase with charge weight. I'll contact the author for his insight.

Maybe I should have just started with Viht N110. Seems to be the go to powder for my application. Was concerned with availability.

I do thank you all for your comments.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In all the loading manuals going way back from Hodgdon, Winchester (when 296 was different than H110)and Accurate Arms, they always said not to reduce loads and use "heavy for caliber" bullets for best results. Magnums primers also. It is the characteristics of the older slow ball magnum powders for straight wall cases. Blue dot also, but that powder has some erratic results. Enough to be an issue in my book.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gibby
In all the loading manuals going way back from Hodgdon, Winchester (when 296 was different than H110)and Accurate Arms, they always said not to reduce loads and use "heavy for caliber" bullets for best results. Magnums primers also. It is the characteristics of the older slow ball magnum powders for straight wall cases. Blue dot also, but that powder has some erratic results. Enough to be an issue in my book.

Thanks, that's good information. Appears I need to move away from the H110. I will try some magnum primers since I have some on hand.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed that 296/H110 is a terribly poor choice for the application.

Agreed that neck tension matters a great deal with 296/H110.

Agreed that Hodgdon and other expert sources have a lot to say on the subject of best results with H110/296 and in my experience will cheerfully repeat themselves over and over to make the often repeated points clear.

Powder Position
Any cartridge containing less than a settled full case of powder may produce drastic differences in pressure depending on powder position. The industry standard requires that powder be gently positioned near the primer end by using the following procedure:
1. Ammo is placed in a loading block with primer down.
2. Grasp test cartridge between thumb and forefinger, lift from block, pause, rotate cartridge slowly in a vertical plane until the primer is up, pause, and rotate until the primer is again down.
3. Seat the cartridge gently into a horizontal chamber keeping the primer end as low as possible.
This procedure is commonly called the "SAAMI Twist" and is followed religiously. Typically, powder positioned at the primer end will give higher pressures and velocities, but exceptions have been noted.
Ken Oehler copied instructions for one of his Chronographs.

Much more discussion can be found with a search on this and other boards including a column by Dr. Oehler in Shooting Times IIRC See Shooting Times for April 2007 issue, Ken Oehler has a column entitled "Powder Position Affects Ballistics". This from my own reposting of other people's words on the subject which I could find easily. Much more by Dr. Oehler is worth some some effort to find. Ramshot Western has been generous with their knowledge on which of their powders are best for this sort of use. Ask them again; Mr. Barsness could perhaps expand on suggested powders.

I don't have a copy of the article mentioned so can't help there
I did run across the slight of hand discussion which I believe to be the core of the magazine article but I may be completely wrong. Many people have established position sensitivity with their own gear in their own guns without much publication beyond saying it's there, it matters, powders with a good reputation for the application used at their optimum pressure range and reasonable fill range are likely to work just fine CEM.
Ken Oehler
Quote:
Many years ago while working on a special project, I needed handgun bullets traveling near the speed of sound, approximately 1140 fps. I chose to use a Contender 357 already fitted with a strain gage, light bullets (125 grain from memory) because I don't like recoil while testing, and a batch of 38 Special cases because they were handy. The books said that Unique was probably appropriate. I juggled cavities on my powder measure until the velocity was "about right" before loading a few hundred rounds for testing. (As I recall, the charge was approximately 6.5 grains filling roughly 70% of the case volume.)

During the tests of the equipment I noticed that if the powder was positioned forward at firing, then the velocity was subsonic. If the powder was positioned to the rear, the velocity was supersonic, leveled out it was approximately sonic. That was quite handy for my tests, but it's not what you want for a uniform load.

After my other testing was over, I decided to look at the powder position question and hooked up the pressure instruments. For years I'd read in the SAAMI procedures that you must take care with powder position during tests, but had thought that it wouldn't make a really significant difference in average pressure or velocities. The measured differences shocked me. With the powder forward, I would consistently get near 1100 fps and 18K psi. With the powder back, I'd get 1400 fps and 28K psi. Considering that the SAAMI max for 38 Special is 18K psi and the nominal average for the proof loads is 27K psi, the differences observed in the same load, same case, same bullet, same gun, same day, same instruments, same whatever are very significant.

I didn't do the experiment just one time, but used the same load as an example during several workshops. I'd let two participants each choose five round from the same box of ammo. I'd fire the five high pressure rounds first and then the five low pressure rounds. With the benefit of a little clumsy gun handling and some distracting BS, it wasn't obvious to the observers that the first five were with powder to the rear and the second five were with powder forward. The velocities and pressures always came out as I'd expected from previous tests. It was easier to convince the class that the differences were caused by the cold sweaty palms of the second sucker.

Moral of story, unless you actually measure pressure in your gun, with your components, under your conditions, then you don't know pressure. Even it you think you measure it, you're still not sure.
Ken Oehler

There are stories of different results from the same load assembled at home and at the range because the powder settled on the trip. Another aspect is what Brownell calls porosity of the load. At one extreme, compressed into a single solid pellet the charge should act as an extreme slow burner, (see Richard Lee on seating bullets deep) at the other extreme maybe flashover or even the secondary explosion effect that may or may not exist with drastically reduced loads.

Of course the similar results may have quite different causes that's the nature of this game. Surely does seem to me that 296/H110 is as all the literature implies a terribly poor choice for the application.

Again everything I copied here has been said before on this very board mostly by Dr. Oehler.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great post, thank you.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Try Lil' Gun

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My understanding is that when there is a low fill percentage of the case, the primer explosion can move the bullet under certain circumstances. If the neck tension is variable or the primer pressure is variable, some bullets might move, some might not. Powder positioning plays a role in this, clearly.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have nothing meaningful to add to my post above.

On the general subject of neck tension I do find it matters with 296/H110. I get superb results in magnum revolvers with what amount to wasp waisted cartridges with high tension and new brass crimps. Tight to the point that I can't budge the bullets with an impact puller.

For a .300 Blackout home made from 5.56 (as opposed to factory brass that needs no modification not a pejorative that's the way it should be done but....) looking at a loaded .300 Blackout cartridge next to a 5.56 from Lake City I notice the 5.56 neck is, as it should be, discolored from the annealing process without subsequent polish. Looking at the .300 Blackout cartridge I notice much of the new neck is well below the discoloration on the 5.56.

This suggests to me the possibility, and I do not know and haven't tested, that the new neck was work hardened when the case was drawn and never subsequently annealed. This implies the neck in use is work hardened brass and so when expanded to form and then expanded again by seating the bullet the neck will not spring back, because work hardened, and so will not grip the bullet nearly so well as properly tempered case necks. I don't know, but looking at the loaded .300 Blackout next to a LC 5.56 this occurs to me.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
With the velocities barely subsonic, I'd suspect chronograph interference caused by the muzzle blast wave just ahead of the bullet. Sometimes it trips the screen and sometimes it doesn't. This error is usually detected when you use a chronograph with a third screen.

The only known cure is to use a blast baffle between gun and chronograph screens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenOehler
With the velocities barely subsonic, I'd suspect chronograph interference caused by the muzzle blast wave just ahead of the bullet. Sometimes it trips the screen and sometimes it doesn't. This error is usually detected when you use a chronograph with a third screen.

The only known cure is to use a blast baffle between gun and chronograph screens.

How dare you interject knowledge, experience, and the obvious in an argument here?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KenOehler

I'm honored to hear from you.

I'm using a Chrony Beta and wasn't the full cable length from the reader. I did hear a sonic crack on rounds measuring greater than 1115, the speed of sound at the time of the test. In addition the rounds were fired through a suppressor.

I will test some more today and share my results here. I will fire subsonic rounds topped off with Pufflon, a case filler, and will significantly increase my distance from the chronograph. I will also fire a sample of the original load that yielded a mix of sub and super sonic results.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Try Lil' Gun

From what I find in print Lil' Gun is better suited for bullets in the 115-150 weights. Which makes sense since it faster than H110.

I need a bulkier powder, more on the order of Trail Boss. TB is well documented to not function in an AR platform, it is great in a bolt.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lost a buffer retainer spring this morning, have one on order, don't wish to fire without one. Will update in a couple of days.

Last edited by Boise; 04/25/17. Reason: After a Google search I learned I can shoot without
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appears Pufflon, case filler, addresses my issue. I topped off the cases to just below the top. Using the exact same load I then fired 10 rounds. The Chrony delivered one error message so I have velocities for 9 rounds.

1097 average
20 extreme spread
8.2 stdev

This is 45 fps faster than the non-Pufflon "fast" rounds. Pufflon stated a 4% velocity increase was to be expected and that is exactly what I found - old average was 1049.

I'll reduce my powder weight and continue with the case filler. Seems the Ken Oehler quote, posted earlier, was right on the money.

Thanks to all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad that you found the problem, and thanks for sharing the solution with us.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.