Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was hoping for some answers on this one.

I have what I consider to be a collector in 300 Win Mag and it has a similar S/N. (560,XXX).

I had always accepted the "earlier action on the '63 Barrel" version of the story.

I would really like to know the truth.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on Whitebirds .300.

Looking for shooter not a collector

Here's another

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...hester-magnum-rare-.cfm?gun_id=100840725

Cliff's rifle sure was a beauty and in very good honest condition... He had a great price on it too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Not original obviously, but tempting.

http://www.hallowellco.com/custom_winchester_model_70%20echols.htm

Tempted to send this one to Goudy with a nice stick of walnut.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 04/22/17.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner, about 20 years ago I was at a local gun show and a fellow was carrying around a super grade featherweight in 270.

He was asking $3,000 if I recall correctly.

My girlfriend at the time, who is my wife now, encouraged me to buy that rifle.

I really should listen to her more often.

That would be the epitome of sweetness: The rifle and the girlfriend laugh.. You did good.. The only supergrade's I'm going to find that I can afford are the one's gunner mentioned: "bubbad".. The last one I had in my hands was a beautiful little 220swift. The basic bubba'd part of the rifle was the barrel. Not sure if it's an original supergrade barrel and it was glass bedded. That part doesn't bother me as much as not knowing if it is an original sg barrel. Everything else looked great. It had an old steel tube weaver and reloading components for $1,100.00.... I should have bought the damn thing. Now I have to wait till June and hope he still has it. If so, it's going home with me.... Bubba'd or not, I'd love to have a nice shooting 220 Swift, that I can afford... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is a beautiful rifle. Looks to be a good price too. A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's, with documentation. What's not to like? Well, I still don't like those Leupold 2 piece mounts that hang over the ejection port. A fine rifle like that needs some conetrol's or S/K's... Those are easy enough to change though... wink

BSA MAGA
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Agreed, those mounts need to go.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70

I have what I consider to be a collector in 300 Win Mag and it has a similar S/N. (560,XXX).

I had always accepted the "earlier action on the '63 Barrel" version of the story.

donsm70

Don, what's not to know about your rifle? The receiver was made the latter part of 1962 (Actually the end of 1962, around November). The 300WM was given the go ahead (factory authorization) in September of 1962 and not all 300WM rifles had receivers with a 1963 serial #. The first 300WM rifles were shipped in February of 1963... I'd expect to see more than a few 300WM rifles with 1962 receivers...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, not to hi-jack Buddy, but were you able to see that 300 gr solid bullet strike nestled in there with those 300 gr SAF's, I gotta take a less than 1.5" two different bullets four shot group at 100 WITH a 45 degree right cross wind.

Your old 375 is a shooting sombitch Buddy. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Man, I like that rifle a bunch. Looks perfect to my eyes.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
BSA, not to hi-jack Buddy, but were you able to see that 300 gr solid bullet strike nestled in there with those 300 gr SAF's, I gotta take a less than 1.5" two different bullets four shot group at 100 WITH a 45 degree right cross wind.

Gunner, seeing how yours shoots its hard to not want one of them...

Semper Fi
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Gunner, seeing how yours shoots its hard to not want one of them...

10-4 Beretz, thank you my friend, I can't complain about that with those mild bc bullets in that kind of wind, bet the group would have been cut in half without the 13 mph variable winds.

A 300 gr SAF at 2600 along with a 300 gr BBW #13 solid at 2700 fps should cover the world. wink

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep, I saw that yesterday when you texted me. However, it's very hard to see on my old outdated flip phone... laugh. Looked great to me my friend. I'm very glad you are happy with that rifle. I wouldn't have sold it to anyone if I knew it wasn't a shooter... Just how I rock and roll.....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's just one of the things I like about pre 64 model 70's (their excellent accuracy). Their other main attribute is their reliability: They may be old and, to some, "outdated", but damn if they are ever going to give you fits like some of the newer POS rifles out there now days... wink. Give me an old rifle like yours that I can depend on and I'm happy as hell. Give me a POS that doesn't extract half the time or the bolt handle has a tendency to fall off, or comes out of the receiver (when you don't want it to) because the bolt stop design is highly flawed and thank god the barrel has no sights on it because I'm doing a tomato stake throw to see what kind of distance I can achieve with said POS......

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
There she is in all her shooting glory, and LOL on the tomato stake guns, I couldn't begin to fathom having a rifle for dangerous game or even trouble free operation alone, a pre-64 M-70 or 98 Mauser stand alone. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I get pissed when a rifle gives me fits at the range, let alone while hunting. I burn up a lot of bullets at the range, putting holes in paper sick , not just to make sure the rifle is on, but to make sure it is 100% reliable all the time. There's reason I believe in using reliable weapons. Some guys just don't get that...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I get pissed when a rifle gives me fits at the range, let alone while hunting. I burn up a lot of bullets at the range, putting holes in paper sick , not just to make sure the rifle is on, but to make sure it is 100% reliable all the time. There's reason I believe in using reliable weapons. Some guys just don't get that...

Agreed on all points, and too add, a buddy was giving me chit about 'hand running' my bullets for self defense through my semi auto pistols and AR's.

I said 'look dweeb' if you have to yank one of these guns you will up to that point have not needed anything more in your damn life.

His reply: [goofy stare] crazy

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I fuggin give up Brudda. crazy laugh

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I'd rather spend that level of money on a nice non-bubba'd early to mid 50's Super Grade in another cartridge! smile

I'm with you there Gunner. I just bought two safe queens that I'll turn over, a Pre64 338 that I believe to be unfired and a M42 solid rib skeet gun I know is unfired. I have no use for something I CAN'T USE and a new (or old for that matter) 300 WM is one of them.

If I remember correctly Winpoor has/had a nice 300Wm he was going to sell.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

Don, what's not to know about your rifle? The receiver was made the latter part of 1962 (Actually the end of 1962, around November). The 300WM was given the go ahead (factory authorization) in September of 1962 and not all 300WM rifles had receivers with a 1963 serial #. The first 300WM rifles were shipped in February of 1963... I'd expect to see more than a few 300WM rifles with 1962 receivers...

Thanks BSA,

I read through all the other posts and was starting to second guess myself.

Don

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.