N

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wondering about that Echols. When you read the fine print:

Barreled action metalwork completed by D'Arcy Echols. Cold rust and fire-blue finishes, glassbedding and stock finish by Competitive & Custom Firearms, Inc. With documentation. Completed 2017 and new condition.

Based on what Echols' rifles, parts, or work command in $, even at $3800 I wonder how much Echols was involved?

I first assumed that this rifle, having been in Echols' hands, would function slick as butter on ice and drive tacks to boot. I am not so sure that was a good assumption.

Thoughts?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Certainly not a full custom Echols.

Based on many financial interactions, it's been my experience that Morris Hallowell is a man of integrity.

I judge that rifle as well worth the asking price.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I like that 220 Swift! That's something I'd like to have one of these days.

Yeah, that 300 Win might not be a full Echols but man, it's a damned good looking hunting rifle. I'd bet a paycheck it probably shoots and functions just fine as well.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To be fair, I never meant to imply the "Echols" wasn't worth the asking price. I did mean to point out that if you read a bit more closely it might not be the smokin' hot deal you might take it to be if you just skimmed the top.

As nyrifleman noted, "Certainly not a full custom Echols", and you might get that idea if you weren't paying good attention.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
No worries Gundoc. I understood your point.

If it were a full custom Echols the selling price would be five figures!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I like that 220 Swift! That's something I'd like to have one of these days.

Yeah, that 300 Win might not be a full Echols but man, it's a damned good looking hunting rifle. I'd bet a paycheck it probably shoots and functions just fine as well.

I wouldn't want to bet a pay check against that statement. Or at least wait until I'm on unemployment... I might bet my 338wm would outshoot it if you wanted to bet a dollar though.. laugh wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's making my rethink, WHY THE HELL I DIDN'T BUY THAT supergrade the other day!!!!!~ The SG is a much nicer rifle than that one, I don't really care about the collectability aspect of it though... cry

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by donsm70
I was hoping for some answers on this one.

I have what I consider to be a collector in 300 Win Mag and it has a similar S/N. (560,XXX).

I had always accepted the "earlier action on the '63 Barrel" version of the story.

I would really like to know the truth.

donsm70

Don, what's not to know about your rifle? The receiver was made the latter part of 1962 (Actually the end of 1962, around November). The 300WM was given the go ahead (factory authorization) in September of 1962 and not all 300WM rifles had receivers with a 1963 serial #. The first 300WM rifles were shipped in February of 1963... I'd expect to see more than a few 300WM rifles with 1962 receivers...

Thanks BSA,

I read through all the other posts and was starting to second guess myself.

Don

Don, I think you did great with your purchase. You better hang on to that one. It's only going to go up in value..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
To be fair, I never meant to imply the "Echols" wasn't worth the asking price. I did mean to point out that if you read a bit more closely it might not be the smokin' hot deal you might take it to be if you just skimmed the top.

As nyrifleman noted, "Certainly not a full custom Echols", and you might get that idea if you weren't paying good attention.

I understood what you were getting at, but you have to consider how much a "full on" custom Echols sells for too: Damn near 4 times as much as this one. Current prices on a legend custom is $15,500.00, if you can believe that!!!!!.. I'm like beretzs on this one, I'd buy it and hunt it and enjoy the hell out of it and know I did pretty damn good on the deal... Also keep in mind D'Arcy builds a lot of classics and this one is a pre 64. To me, that's icing on the cake... wink

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I understood what you were getting at, but you have to consider how much a "full on" custom Echols sells for too: Damn near 4 times as much as this one. Current prices on a legend custom is $15,500.00, if you can believe that!!!!!.. I'm like beretzs on this one, I'd buy it and hunt it and enjoy the hell out of it and know I did pretty damn good on the deal... Also keep in mind D'Arcy builds a lot of classics and this one is a pre 64. To me, that's icing on the cake... wink

BSA, to be fair, before you enlighten me on Echols' pricing, to at least a small degree you contributed to what led to my composing the "read the fine print" post. Earlier in this thread, you wrote:

That is a beautiful rifle. Looks to be a good price too. A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's, with documentation. What's not to like? Well, I still don't like those Leupold 2 piece mounts that hang over the ejection port. A fine rifle like that needs some conetrol's or S/K's... Those are easy enough to change though... wink (Bold above added by Gun Doc)

I suspect you wrote that in a bit of a hurry, but just sayin' . . . .

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/23/17.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'd rather spend that level of money on a nice non-bubba'd early to mid 50's Super Grade in another cartridge! smile

I'm with you there Gunner. I just bought two safe queens that I'll turn over, a Pre64 338 that I believe to be unfired and a M42 solid rib skeet gun I know is unfired. I have no use for something I CAN'T USE and a new (or old for that matter) 300 WM is one of them.

If I remember correctly Winpoor has/had a nice 300Wm he was going to sell.

LOL, yes, if I somehow managed to own a queen, I'd send that prima donna beech down the road and buy a hunt somewhere. wink

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I contacted Hallowell to purchase that Echols .300 this evening.

I waited too long frown

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I waited too long frown

cry eek That's too bad may, that would have been a damn fine rifle to add to the collection.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA, to be fair, before you enlighten me on Echols' pricing, to at least a small degree you contributed to what led to my composing the "read the fine print" post. Earlier in this thread, you wrote:

That is a beautiful rifle. Looks to be a good price too. A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's, with documentation. What's not to like? Well, I still don't like those Leupold 2 piece mounts that hang over the ejection port. A fine rifle like that needs some conetrol's or S/K's... Those are easy enough to change though... wink (Bold above added by Gun Doc)

I stand by what I said too. How much more "full on custom" do you want?.. Just sayin.. wink That rifle was WELL worth the asking price..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I stand by what I said too. How much more "full on custom" do you want?.. Just sayin.. wink That rifle was WELL worth the asking price..

BSA,

I don't believe I ever said it wasn't worth the asking price. That is something someone inferred from my posts. Please show me where I said it wasn't worth the ask.

What I was trying to point out is that there is a difference between a custom rifle Echols had something to do with and "A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's with documentation." It's not the "full on" that is the issue. That is a vague term, but I will concede a different barrel, bottom metal, and stock, all being well known premium parts, pretty well constitutes "a full on custom." The point I was trying to get to concerned "by D'Arcy Echols with documentation." If you read the fine print, considering it states Echols didn't completely finish the rifle, it is not exactly clear what is being documented.

What's the difference? First there is the cachet of Echols' name on a rifle "completely" done in his shop. But the real difference is a rifle that appears to be one that should function flawlessly and drives tacks compared to one that is virtually guaranteed to do so. Should this rifle have issues, to whom do you turn? I'm not sure it is D'Arcy Echols.

So, those differences and, as you and nyrifleman have noted, apparently about ten to twelve thousand dollars.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/25/17.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I waited too long frown

I think similar things have happened to every one of us! And thinking about it usually doesn't help much, because you can now imagine it was perfect, even if it wasn't and you never discovered that fact. Hopefully, something else as good or better will come along.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan

I'd rather spend that level of money on a nice non-bubba'd early to mid 50's Super Grade in another cartridge! smile

I'm with you there Gunner. I just bought two safe queens that I'll turn over, a Pre64 338 that I believe to be unfired and a M42 solid rib skeet gun I know is unfired. I have no use for something I CAN'T USE and a new (or old for that matter) 300 WM is one of them.

If I remember correctly Winpoor has/had a nice 300Wm he was going to sell.

LOL, yes, if I somehow managed to own a queen, I'd send that prima donna beech down the road and buy a hunt somewhere. wink

Ha! Safe Queen! I'll hunt all of them. Let the kids sort out how much I depreciated them.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
[/quote]Hopefully, something else as good or better will come along. [/quote]

One always does!

Last edited by nyrifleman; 04/25/17.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.