Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EdM
My uncle, a cowboy, a favorite, put a bullet through his head in his back yard when he landed on not being pleased with where things were heading. He was 73. This was near twenty years ago. One would be hard pressed to find a tougher, yet kind, man.

Fascinating.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to disagree on "The Searchers".
I never felt that Wayne fit the character in the book. Ben Johnson would have been better.
How many here ever read the book?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i like them both. i thought jeff bridges was excellent. if you want to see a real POS movie, watch hateful 8. man what a awful movie that could have been done so much better. glad it was a freebie.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks
I have to disagree on "The Searchers".
I never felt that Wayne fit the character in the book. Ben Johnson would have been better.
How many here ever read the book?
I read the book. Alan LeMay who wrote it, also wrote The Unforgiven, an excellent, similar story of the same timeframe.

The Searchers movie wasn't the same story as the book, just based on it. True Grit I or III was much closer to the respective book than The Searchers was. John Wayne was perfect for the movie and I think The Searchers was his favorite movie. He even named one of his sons after the movie's main character.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new True Grit is awesome. The dialog is insanely good. The scene where Maddie gets her Dads horses back is incredible.

Can't hardly stand the sound of that whiny little gal in the original.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Watched Tucker and Hannity a bit, then switched over to watch True Grit.

No John Wayne, no Kim Darby, no Glen Campbell and no fuggin good.

WTF has happened to the fugging US neighborhood?

No wonder youngsters think True Grit is no good.

We're screwed because a remake of one of the classics doesn't live up to expectations? If so, then we're really, really screwed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

We're screwed because a remake of one of the classics doesn't live up to expectations? If so, then we're really, really screwed.
Exactly. If it had sucked, which it didn't, I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it. Keep on Truckin'.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why can't we all just get along?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
GFY, Rodney.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

It's God's plan. Don't dare question God's plan. Get some damn faith, mister.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed just yesterday during a downpour that water seems more wet now than it was 40 years ago. I'm also pretty certain the sky is a slightly different color blue.

I have not noticed that, but gravity is a whole lot stronger than it was 50 years ago. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by WillARights
I gotta agree, Sir.

Dont think much of the newer version. I

wanted to like it.

Try not to miss the original.

Yep, Glen Campbell was not an actor, but his incongruity made the show special.

OH, I don't know. That scene with the turkey he shot with the 50 Sharps was priceless!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Jeff Bridges version matched the book better than Wayne's version.

So? It still sucked!

Did not suck,was just different.John Wayne was John Wayne no matter if he played Rooster Cogburn or Davey Crocket at the Alamo.People went to John Wayne movies to see John Wayne.As an actor he was one dimensional.He was very good at playing John Wayne.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Hey now. Y'all gotta be thinking I'm a youngster @ 32. The remake was good (for a movie). I saw the remake before making a point of watching the original. Sure enough, like most movies and things we see on the big and small screens, the original was better.

Sometimes remakes are better. I have yet to see the new "Kong: Skull Island" but somehow I think it will be better than all the previous ones. Why? Special effects and (the former crackhead) Samuel L. Jackson, John C. Reilly and John Goodman. You do have to respect the 1933 original. The 'franchise' is nearly 100 years old. But CGI and hi-def and great sound "bring you into the movie" more than good camera angles. I'm not holding up the new King Kong except as an example of an instance where the new version/remake is better than the original IMO. We're talking 1933 acting and special effects vs. CGI and hi-def sound and image.

Oh now you done it!!!
The original KK is a personal top three for me and one the greatest movies ever made. It happened to make Marion c Cooper a personal hero of mine. His life story is one of the most incredible, admirable, and inspiring of the American spirit.

I cannot stand CG and don't think I am alone. Every subsequent Kong has seemed less than the preceding. The Jack Black version had a few (very few) moments - thanks in part to Naomi, but over the top silly action scenes do little to compel and are a poor substitute for suspense. So is excessive gore or plain gross. Suspense being more nuanced and difficult but so much more captivating if a little is left to the imagination. Somehow the idea that 'more' is better is beaten in to every modern producer. How big is this new Kong again??? And who taught it pugilism? Can you really survive a narrow pathway with raptors and stampeding brontosaurus? Ugh.

Older films needed a bit of imagination and as a result involved the viewer to a greater degree. I find far too many newer ones bordering on insult.

Becoming a curmudgeon I guess.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
nutsacktroller: Spoken like a TRUE, self described "turd-like person"!
The movie your turdlike brain described as "sucking" earned MORE than $215,000,000 (two hundred and fifteen million dollars) in profit for its producers - SO FAR!
Remember turd that is PROFIT - money above the costs of making the movie!
Then the movie that the turd in question here describes as "sucking" was nominated for 10 (ten!) Academy Awards and 8 (eight) British Academy of Film Awards and NUMEROUS other awards as well as these.
Add to that the fact that "I" actually (to my great surprise and pleasure!) enjoyed the Jeff Bridges version of True Grit more than the original film.
So, thats the "SO" there nutsacktroller - you ought to try to keep your ignorance a bit more of a secret - but I guess that would be impossible for a self described TURD?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hondo is my favorite Wayne movie. I'm also a fan of Angel and the Badman.

as for Tucker, I think people are going to be disappointed with him in the long run. Well, if you are a fan of Bill O' Reilly you won't be.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The oratories of Hailey Steinfeld in the most recent True Grit were incredible from such a young girl.

John Wayne was just an actor, not the best there ever was. I much prefer Robert Duvall over John Wayne in a western movie any day.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"We are screwed, blued, and tatooed."

??

What does this mean? Do you ever consider the words that come out of your mouth?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It means you've been through the proverbial ringer....for better or worse.

JTX - Where'd ya go! Gotta look forward brother. Yesterday is a memory.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It means you've been through the proverbial ringer....for better or worse.

No offense intended Mooner. I am aware of the inference. But, if you dissect this statement to its literal definition it means nothing. It's just some goofy quoted jibberish from junior high that makes the other children laugh.

Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.