Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Greetings, today I was installing new bases / rings on a used mod 70 that I obtained. I noticed that one of the screws for the rear base - felt as thought it would've stripped if I would've tried to over tighten it. Not sure how else to describe it.

That led me to thinking, what could be done if the hole does strip?

I can only think of filling the hole and drilling and tapping new threads. Are there any other solutions?

Thanks.

gundog

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can tig it, redrill and tap 6-48 or open it up to #28 and tap 8-40.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it would've stripped if I would've tried to over tighten it.

Having a hard time understanding why one would WANT to exceed normal torque specs,....

If the threads will hold that, why go looking for trouble.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think he meant that he felt the thread letting go. It was a used rifle.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
crossfire,

kingston nailed it. It felt like the threads were letting go. They held, but I am going to be thinking about that every time I shoot this particular rifle. I will always wonder if the base is "shaking loose" under recoil.

Just thinking ahead a bit.

Thanks.

gundog

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could try the oversize #6 screws that Brownell's sells.

Link

They sell the taps separately but jeez they're expensive.

I've no experience with these screws, maybe someone who does will jump in.

I have a screw like that in the thin part of a Mauser receiver, tightens down but feels like it could go further, doesn't come to a hard stop when it sould. Blue Loc-Tite has its uses. De-grease the threads to get the full strength. Not the ideal solution but it's worked for me.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have successfully the Brownell oversize 6-48, if that does not work you always have the option to tap 8-40.

gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
nighthawk & gunswizard,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out those oversize 6-48 screws.

This screw didn't come to a hard stop. Thanks again!

gundog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Without the somewhat pricey tap, those oversized 6-48s have been less than stellar, and can CREATE problems, as opposed to solving em' .

At this point I'd be taking a very long look at 8-40, for the most reliable and budget friendly solution.

Drill to # 28, and use a carbon steel tap, as opposed to HSS,...if things go south, easier to remediate. If the tap's in the least hard to start, go to a #29 hole,....understand that doing this PROPERLY calls out having a 3 tap set,....but MANY fine repairs have been achieved with but one. Don't sweat the counterbore size in your base(es),......spin the head of the 8-40 down in a drill chuck, cold blue it, and get back out in the field.

Compliments on your concern about reliable zero.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's not stripped, but suspicious, you could always bed the base and rock on.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.