Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello, after many years of applying I was lucky enough to draw this great tag. I was just inquiring who has had this tag and what kind of hunt you had, and type of bulls you harvested. Thank you

Last edited by Jstone; 04/22/17.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have been applying for that tag for years. Congratulations!

I had a cow tag there last year and in 11. It was easier to find bulls than cows since there are a lot more cow tags given there than bull tags.

J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you..This is year 13 for me, I have hunted adjacent units , now this one however. Did you see any big ones? And thanks again.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I did see a monster of a bull there and some smaller 6 pts. The problem is the place where the big one was was overrun with hunters and camps on opening day. If you are familiar with the area there are places nearby to camp and the APR lets you camp on their land.

I saw bulls coming out of the flats away from the breaks so that might be a place to look too. Few people think to look there, but the elk move into these place to avoid the hunters.

You probably know this, but a boat is a big help in accessing hard to get to areas.

J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you I appreciate it..I agree it might have to look for a friend with a boat.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jstone: I have been lucky enough to have drawn a Bull tag in this area and in addition I have served as scout and packer for 6 of my friends in the last 20+ years who have drawn this tag.
One of those six friends was drawn twice!
Over that 20+ years span on those Elk Hunts, one Antelope Hunt and a few Mule Deer Hunts there abouts I have seen, firsthand, probably 25 Bull Elk that would certainly make the Boone & Crockett All Time Records Book!
Two of those 25 or so were just across the river from District 622 but they were most likely crossing the narrow river back and forth from District to District and hanging out on islands in the area as well.
Enjoy your Hunt and make a COMMITMENT of PLENTY of time for pre-Hunt scouting as well as for the Hunt itself!
Be patient - there are GOOD Bulls in and around that area and they move into and out of it with time and pressure.
A boat (prior to ice-up) is a VERY useful and worthwhile addition.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you very much sir, I appreciate all of the intel I can get. I'm used to hunting the mountains in southwest Montana and that breaks country is new to me. I'll be sure to post any pictures and share my progress. again thank you for the Intel and good luck on any year hunt this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will learn rather quickly that hunting that area will be like hunting inverted mountains. Great draw. Good luck.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would take Varmitguys post with a huge grain of salt...

I've hunted the breaks several times in the recent past...and if you see a legitimate 320-330 class bull you would be wise to consider shooting it.

As to the comment about 25 B&C bulls...that's bull all right, bullchit. Take a look at a B&C record book sometime...it will tell a much different story than what's been posted.

Go into the hunt with realistic expectations and have fun, its a neat area to hunt elk in.

J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks

IC B3

J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had the tag. Take Buzz's advice. mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtmuley
I've had the tag. Take Buzz's advice. mtmuley

I had the same permit in 2011. Killed a 6X6 that was maybe 280". I saw one that was 340+, but he ended up on private.

Fun country to hunt, but not many mature bulls, at least on the public ground. I live close to the district, and spend a lot of time there. It is what it is....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
X2

Plus beware of the roads when rain and snow come

Plus I would bring hiking poles as there are deep breaks and a real pain to hike out especially when wet

Originally Posted by BuzzH

I've hunted the breaks several times in the recent past...and if you see a legitimate 320-330 class bull you would be wise to consider shooting it.

As to the comment about 25 B&C bulls...that's bull all right, bullchit. Take a look at a B&C record book sometime...it will tell a much different story than what's been posted.

Go into the hunt with realistic expectations and have fun, its a neat area to hunt elk in.

Originally Posted by BuzzH

Last edited by ribka; 05/10/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I archery hunted this unit 3 years ago. Saw lots of elk, but I would say over the course of 9 days, maybe 1 bull that was in the 330's. Not that I was being picky, just sayin; that's what I saw. Really fun country to hunt, though I was puzzled by the lack of mule deer? Could have been the cat tracks I frequently ran across.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
There were a lot of deer prior to 2011. That winter killed a lot of animals.

J
Jstone Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That winter kill a few years ago took a toll on the mule deer, did you find elk in any particular type of topography? Or were the scattered? Thanks and have a good season.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In 2008 on the first big game hunt of my life, I had a cow tag. To get to the U bend we had to drive all the way from the highway 191 bridge in the mud. We had to get gas at either Hays or Zortman.
I had 76 elk walking toward me and I opened fire at 620 yards.
I did not get one.
Since then I have been practicing long range shooting.

Since then the boat launch opened up on the river and that takes about 5 hours off the trip for me.
And there are hunters all over the place now. "Scouting" a day before hunting season and chasing everything out.

I have a cow tag in 2017, but it is for a few miles South of there, in the sage brush fire burn out area.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope and pray that it rains soon. That area is in drought conditions and now a tinderbox. There is a huge fire southwest of that area right now called the Lodge pole fire. Most of Montana is very dry with high fire danger present.

Last edited by DLSguide; 07/31/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.