Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
There was Cooey, and the Inglis military arms of course.
Are, or were there any other makers of firearms in Canada?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Longbranch made a few.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Doesn't Savage made some rimfires up there?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Savage model 30 replica in 22 WMR made in Canada, that's all I know about it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wink_man
I have a Savage model 30 replica in 22 WMR made in Canada, that's all I know about it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had one of those in 22 LR, should have kept it frown

Last edited by gerry35; 04/22/17.

Gerry.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Fierce Firearms are made in Quebec. High end, light weight bolt action rifles. Winchester made quite a few firearms in Canada back in the day.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Savage rimfires continue to be made in Ontario.

Most IMR powder is made in Canada, shipped south in bulk, packaged in the US.

F

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I remember Layne Simpson article about Prairie Gunworks high end action / rifles. Many years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooey and Ross. The Cooey plant changed hands a few times, Cooey, Winchester, Lakefield, and now Savage. Ross made sporting rifles as well as military.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I remember a line of Imperial Magnum Cartridges advertised in gun rags of some years ago.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ralf Martini make some very nice bespoke bolt actions, usually on commercial mauser actions. Martin Hagn makes his own single shot action that is ingenious, artistic, compact and functional. Tobin arms made some basic double barrel shotguns way back in the day. Beretta has recently licensed the rights to a special version of the Tikka rifle for the Canadian Rangers to use for arctic patrol duty. The Ross straight pull bolt rifle was way ahead of its time and plagued with some flawed design and user error issues. PGW defence for military and military type weapons. Just to name a few.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Winchester Model 370 16 ga. single shot shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. It was made in Canada.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I have a Winchester Model 370 16 ga. single shot shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. It was made in Canada.

Winchester used to make guns in Cobourg, Ontario for quite awhile.

Jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Winchester used to make guns in Cobourg, Ontario for quite awhile.

Jim

Thanks for the information, sir.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only one I have is a sporterized #4 Mk.I Lee-Enfield made at Long Branch in 1945. That was near Toronto IIRC? I've heard that the factory was demolished at some point after it closed up.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
I remember a line of Imperial Magnum Cartridges advertised in gun rags of some years ago.

colodog;
Good afternoon sir, hopefully this finds you well.

On the Imperial Magnum line, I knew/know the founder/designer of the line Aubrey White well enough to chat with him every year at the local gun show and he remembers me and I used to know him better at the inception of the Imperial Magnum days.

If memory serves the rifles were mostly Sako actions, McLennan barrels and McMillan stocks. They were put together by Knobe Uno (sp?) who did top shelf work anytime I saw it.

For folks interested in Cooey history, here's decent link that gives the cliff notes.
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?180-A-Canadian-Heritage-Cooey-Firearms

The folks in Coburg had a deal with Mossberg for awhile too where they made 500 series pump shotguns. They're stamped "Lakefield-Mossberg 500AB" mostly, though there is a "B" too if memory serves. There was a 400 series too now that I think about it - can't for the life of me recall the differences right off now though.

I want to say Para Ordnance pistols started out up here but now I see they're made south of the medicine line.

There are some smaller manufacturers making up 700 clone and AR type actions up here too. I hear good things about both, but don't recall holding either one personally.

Anyway if any others come to mind I'll add them too, but that's it for right now.

Hopefully that was useful for someone out there tonight. All the best to you all this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good evening Dwayne, it's nice to see you post!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good evening to you sir and thanks kindly for the positive feedback. grin

I believe you know that I'm a fan of Cooey arms and if pressed might be able to cogitate how many I've owned over the years, but it'd take some doing as I've had a couple or three.

A good friend is in the process of amassing a collection of Cooey and/or Winchester Cooey single shot shotguns now.

His latest is marked "Sureshot" which was the Eaton's house brand and it's in incredible shape. The case hardening looks 95% on it.

The holy grail of Cooey shotguns is a 28 gauge - we've only seen photos so far.... frown

I've had a Lakefield-Mossberg 500AB for 42 years now - maybe 43 actually - and it's been reliable enough that when I went out looking for a bear repellent arm for our daughter and her husband I sought out another one as a basis for that build.

They - Cooey again - made some really neat and relatively rare .22 rimfire rifles when the partnership with Winchester was going. One was the Model 490, which looked like a miniature Model 100.

Here's a youtube video describing them at about the 7 minute mark.
[video:youtube]ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjdBqpHxXZM[/video]

Anyway sir, thanks again for the kindness you've continuously shown me, I do appreciate it.

All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
J
Ross made a service rifle and sporters. Para made 1911's in canada. Colt make some of their ARs. Cooey, savage, Epps. I am sure there are more from our days as a hunting nation before the lefties took over

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Had forgotten about the Para-Ordinance. Bought one of those when they where only making frames and magazines. Built it up with Colt parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.