J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It'll just tip over and capsize.

Ask congressman Johnson.

Hahaha!

Anyway..going vegetarian is stupid. It solves nothing.

Watch Dr. Allan Savory's Ted talk.

I am MAGA.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Muslims will never slow down their rate of population, well maybe once they take over the world.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we will have a war or pandemic, nature has its checks and balances.
In 1918 the Spanish Flu killed between 20 and 40 million world wide, in 1 year. It made the Black Death look like a hiccup epidemic. The reason is unknown, but it tended to hit younger, healthy men the hardest, the exact opposite of most diseases.
A round of this could completely eliminate California which would really check their balance.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It'll just tip over and capsize.

Ask congressman Johnson.

You beat me to it. In my defense, I've been at work all day and nowhere near a computer.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In 1918 the Spanish Flu killed between 20 and 40 million world wide, in 1 year. It made the Black Death look like a hiccup epidemic. The reason is unknown, but it tended to hit younger, healthy men the hardest, the exact opposite of most diseases.
A round of this could completely eliminate California which would really check their balance.

20 million people in a die-off would certainly garner the attention of the msm. and well it should.

it's effect on 7 billion people or more? probably not so much. we'd have plenty of spares to take their place. some might have to be trained to work and do the jobs of the vacant positions.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Gus, I am sure you already know this. The carrying capacity of the Earth for humans has already been exceeded......several times.

Each time the population declined significantly, then rebounded. As technology advanced, each "malthusian correction" occured at a higher population level than the last.

Genetics and anthropology combine to tell us that we humans came within a hair's breadth of extinction at least once in the not so distant past.

We have held old Malthus off decades longer than predicted via fossil fuel, mechanized agriculture and transportation, advanced pesticides, and even more advanced plant genetics.

But the next correction will happen, and when first world nations find their citizens starving, the ensuing warfare may well make the last human "near extinction event" pale by comparison.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
there it is, a man who speaks with the understanding of the breath of history in the background.

on the one hand losing 20 million people would be near catastrophic at least in the msm terms. and the President whomever they are at the time will have to talk fast and reassuringly. but still, in reality 20 is real, but represents a small proportion of the total count.

it'd be good to recognize what we've gotten ourselves into. and i'm innocent on may part. i'm innocent.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Gus
we've all wondered how many earthlings we can pack into the spaces down here on the earth. i know i have wondered. right now about 7 billion, maybe a shade more.

but there's a max out there, at some level? after that max level is reached should we earthlings strive to maintain that number, or allow the numbers to slide a little?

i'm thinking we'd want them to slide a little, but governments would likely be in a fervor? less voters, less citizens, less workers? what would it mean to begin backing off on human population after the maximum was reached? carrying capacity is real, or i have heard. i wonder what the carrying capacity of the earth's human population is? i'll bet it could go pretty high if we all go vegetarian? i'm not a vegetarian btw. just asking, that's all.

We passed K a long time ago. It's not just food you know.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
About 60 million perished in the relatively compressed time period of WW 2 and the surviving 97% of earths population proceeded to procreate at a rate made sustainable by technology. When tech fails to solve the problems it promulgated the population crisis will self correct.

Humans have already created the means to self annihilation.

It is strictly a matter of time and some here actually think that worrying about it is productive.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
20 million, phshaw. We (humanity) voluntarily eliminated two or three times that 1938 through 1950.

We will be talking numbers in the billions, probably in as short a time period.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was in high school in 1967, I remember my History teacher talking about Malthus, and the Malthusian Theory.
This guy lived 200 years ago.

He said that human population would increase, and increase, until it reached the breaking point. At that time, there would be a massive kill off, due to either war, or plague, or starvation. Millions, or billions, would die.

Now my high school teacher laughed off Malthus, saying that we had modern medicine, and we had massive agriculture that this poor dumb bastard could not dream of 200 years ago.

But no, I think Malthus was right. We are going to hit the breaking point and there will be a massive die off.

That is why, I am not only opposed to illegal immigration to our country, I am opposed to ALL immigration. We have enough people right now.
Also I am in favor of abortion. If a woman does not want a baby and does not want to care for it, she should have an abortion. We have enough people right now.

It is easy to say, right now, that we have plenty of room in America and we welcome all comers. We could not get overpopulated. But we could, and if we keep up what we now are doing, we will overpopulate. And then, we will break.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Worrying about earth's population is about as useful as worrying about Yellowstone blowing up.

If the folks who are so concerned about the population would throw themselves off a bridge, we would be closer to solving the problem.

What arrogance. If you are not willing to make changes in how you consume resources or are not willing to be the first in line for the necessary execution then you dont really want to make a difference.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen brother.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you looking for a 'yes' or 'no' answer?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gus

but there's a max out there, at some level? after that max level is reached should we earthlings strive to maintain that number, or allow the numbers to slide a little?

Watch an old 70s movie called 'Logans Run', where the only trees remaining are in a museum, and the people....

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
When I was in high school in 1967, I remember my History teacher talking about Malthus, and the Malthusian Theory.
This guy lived 200 years ago.

He said that human population would increase, and increase, until it reached the breaking point. At that time, there would be a massive kill off, due to either war, or plague, or starvation. Millions, or billions, would die.

Now my high school teacher laughed off Malthus, saying that we had modern medicine, and we had massive agriculture that this poor dumb bastard could not dream of 200 years ago.

But no, I think Malthus was right. We are going to hit the breaking point and there will be a massive die off.

That is why, I am not only opposed to illegal immigration to our country, I am opposed to ALL immigration. We have enough people right now.
Also I am in favor of abortion. If a woman does not want a baby and does not want to care for it, she should have an abortion. We have enough people right now.

It is easy to say, right now, that we have plenty of room in America and we welcome all comers. We could not get overpopulated. But we could, and if we keep up what we now are doing, we will overpopulate. And then, we will break.

SK,
Malthus was wrong about one thing. He assumed a liner growth rate for technology, and a logarithmic growth in population. But about the time he made his prediction, the world changed to one with a logarithmic growth rate for technology, and in the developed world, a liner growth rate for population. Under this formula his crash will not happen.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Define "good".

A drastic reduction will soon inevitably follow. I'm defining your "maximum" as being over capacity for the general good of the earth's species, which it already is, but hasn't yet peaked to the point of the lemming (etc.) cycle

This will be good for most of the surviving species when it happens, maybe not so good for humans as a "civilization".

We will have achieved the Libs utopia - "Back to Nature".

Heck, the human race may even survive it, with luck.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This earth could produce far more food that it does if idiocy didn't rule. Just what we waste in biofuel would feed some of the small countries.

Someone mentioned water. That's a big one in the west where irrigation is necessary. Idaho alone has 10's of thousands of acres of what could be good farmland but we're short of water for what's already being used. Of course us outdoorsmen wouldn't want our BLM land turned into farms. That would really affect the elk hunting.

The earth is currently producing more food than needed.

The intertwined problems are distribution, waste, and timely consumption on perishables.

Here in the Arctic, in this borough, whatever isn't killed or picked, is imported, mostly by air. Probably 40% of the food served in the school cafeteria to these deprived natives (seconds to anyone who wants them)- all free except to the taxpayer- goes into the dumpsters after serving.. Meat and sweets for most of them. Michelle O be damned! You can serve them, but you can't make them eat it.....

I guess they just aren't hungry enough.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Worrying about earth's population is about as useful as worrying about Yellowstone blowing up.

If the folks who are so concerned about the population would throw themselves off a bridge, we would be closer to solving the problem.

What arrogance. If you are not willing to make changes in how you consume resources or are not willing to be the first in line for the necessary execution then you dont really want to make a difference.

The difference I want to make is that my country is capable of sustaining itself when others cannot. I don't want to rely on Mexico for vegetables and Brazil for beef.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I'm with Roger..A Neo-Malthusian. War, famine, pestilence, or a combination of the above. There WILL be a time when we hit capacity, and people will die off by the billions.
Overpopulation is the root of ALL evil. Dysgenics is a close second, and they go hand in hand.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.