Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Please forgive my ignorance on the matter, but I'm looking to purchase a new shotgun or two and I've not kept up with the advances, particularly when it comes to the operating systems of the newer semi-autos.

I will be purchasing a 20ga, semi-auto for upland birds/skeet and a 12 ga, semi-auto or pump (undecided here) for turkey. I've been considering the Beretta A400 Lite Synthetic for the semi-auto and some type of Benelli for the pump option or second semi-auto.

My criteria for the semi-auto is the followig: simple design, ease of maintenance or being able to suffer from a lack thereof, reliability and soft shooting.

When considering the semi-autos and their respective operating systems; which system, the Beretta or the Inertia Driven system of the Benelli is preferred? What are the pros and cons of each? Any info you could provide me would be appreciated.

Thanks for the education.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Benelli. Light, great handling, and they flat out work all the time.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being an older guy, my interest in semi-auto shotguns are pretty much limited to the Browning A5s and Remington 1100s. In pump guns, to the Ithaca 37, Remington 870, and Winchester 12.

I've been shooting the same Remington 1100 20 gauge 26" skeet gun for nearly 40 years, have put at least 10K rounds through it, and have yet to have a single malfunction.

During that same period of time I've run through a dozen or so Remington 870s in 12, 16, 20, and 410. None wore out or failed to function, just bought and sold them as the commodity products that they are.

I've never owned a Benelli or Beretta shotgun, so I can't comment on them, but wonder if they will still be running as flawlessly as the Remington after three plus decades of use.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You be well served with any Beretta that suits your needs. High volume clay bird competitors that shoot "Auto shotguns" shoot Beretta for a reason.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked for Beretta for a while. I remember at the World Skeet tourney down in San Antonio having a few competitor's and locals showing up with their 302's and older semi's. Seems they had finally worn out a part or something around their 150,000th round or so.
Ran a sample 391 semi through 20,000 rounds without a hitch other than wiping it down inside and out. Had a competitor in Sporting Clays that I sold a 391 to that kept count and when I moved back to Texas, he was at 75,000 rounds through the shotgun.
There are a few that shoot the Benelli's on the trap,skeet, sporting clays circle. Most serious shooters go to a gas gun. NOT because the Benelli's don't work or have a problem but, because when you're shooting 10-30,000 rounds a year through a gun the recoil from even those little 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads adds up.

Long story short, for the average bird hunter, either the Benelli or the Beretta won't do you wrong. Either will more than likely outlast you and be a gun you can pass along to the next generation.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom Knapp put over half million shells through a Benelli M1. That should work, right? smile

http://www.tomknapp.net/gunroom/tomsOldBenelli.php

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could get a new A5, they're basically a Benelli now.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
First, skip the 12 gauge for turkeys altogether. Instead, buy tungsten-based heavy ammo which will outshoot any lead in a 12 gauge.

For a good 20 gauge semi, there are a number of options, many based simply on what price range/social standing you wish to inhabit. Here are some that will work with your criteria of being reliable and easy maintenance:

Tristar Viper G2
Weatherby SA-08
Stoeger 3020
Franchi Affinity
Winchester SX3
Benelli, various models
Beretta 30* or 39*, various models

Of those, I think that the Franchi Affinity is currently the best if you desire high-quality with low and easy maintenance. It is an inertia gun with the spring under the forend.

If you need a gasser to relieve recoil for high-numbers shooting, then either of the first two get you there cheaply, the Winchester in the middle but heavier, while the Beretta gets you there expensively.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good advice above and I appreciate every post.

Stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse on Sunday and handled a Beretta and Benelli autos; I preferred the ergos of the Beretta.

I'll have to check out the Franchi as well; a buddy of mine has one.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've never owned a Benelli or Beretta shotgun, so I can't comment on them, but wonder if they will still be running as flawlessly as the Remington after three plus decades of use.

You are kidding right? Benelli and Beretta are the choice of shotgun anywhere Dove are shot in huge volume. Probably get shot more in a month then most people shoot brand x in 30 years.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Stud,

My all time favorite upland gun at this point is the Benelli M2 in 20 gauge. Very tough to beat. Very light, shoots smooth. Love, love, love, love it.

The Franchi Affinity is built on that same frame. But the spring sits up front and it does change the balance of the gun. About $4-500 cheaper however so that is something to consider.

For bird hunting, the value of the mag cut off cannot be underestimated. It is simply wonderful and both the Benelli and Franchi have this feature.

The Winchester SX3 (also in the 20 gauge) is more middle of the road. Balances well but is slightly more heavy. If I wanted to shoot dove all day, I'd grab the SX simply because the Benelli is so damn light even the 20 gauge would hurt my vagina after a long day of shooting.

I can't recall a single malfunction from any of the three.

One upland shotgun for the rest of my days? Benelli M2 in 20 gauge.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

There are times that it is ok to double down on stupid.

But not every day.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't have much experience with the Benelli and have a few friends that have Berettas and they handle nice and have been good guns . However I'm somewhat like 260RG. and have shot a Remington 1100 for years w/o issue. There are 2 things that sort of concern me about the Beretta and in one case benelli. There's something about the alloy receivers that once they begin to accumulae wear and scratches just look really bad and are tuff to address. The other thing as to the Beretta is their penchant to reintroduce new models every 5 years. The down side is eventually parts dry up. I have a very nice Beretta o/u from the 1970s that is a very nice gun but once something breaks it's done. My 70s vintage 1100 and870 would be good to go. Luckily all of these guns are pretty reliable so unless you are a competitive shooter that buys shells in pallets you are probably going to be ok.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/24/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Being an older guy, my interest in semi-auto shotguns are pretty much limited to the Browning A5s and Remington 1100s.

That's what I was going to say.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

You are kidding right? Benelli and Beretta are the choice of shotgun anywhere Dove are shot in huge volume. Probably get shot more in a month then most people shoot brand x in 30 years.

He aint wrong. Browning Auto 5's & Remington 1100's get the job done with predictable regularity. Doves don't require a +/- $1500 shotgun to fall from the sky.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stud Duck,
In October I decided to move up to a finer shotgun than my trusty 870. Looked at Benelli's, Beretta's briefly. My final choice was a 1965 Browning Auto 5. It was NIB and now has roughly 10 rounds through it. I purchased a new 26" barrel with the Invector choke tubes for it. I missed an opportunity on a couple of squirrels while I was admiring my new smoke-pole last trip to the woods. In my opinion, few shotguns are near as nice.

Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For me, it's Benelli and Browning. I like the inertia systems in smaller gauges like 20 and 28, but for my 12 gauge needs, my Browning Maxus is very hard to beat- gas operated, and one of the softest-shooting shotguns you will ever put to your shoulder.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28

He aint wrong. Browning Auto 5's & Remington 1100's get the job done with predictable regularity. Doves don't require a +/- $1500 shotgun to fall from the sky.

The reason they are not used is they break. How are you putting an A5 in the same class as an 1100?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have both inertia and gas guns and prefer the gas guns. Beretta, Winchester or Weatherby would be my choice in a 20 gauge. The gas guns simply mitigate the recoil better. This is especially helpful when hunting flooded timber for ducks. I am able to get off a second shot faster with a gas gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Benelli semi autos work great and last forever but recoil more than gas guns. I shoot a Remington Versamax and it's extremely soft shooting but is heavier than most of the competition. It just depends on what you want. For an upland shotgun I would guess you want something lighter.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How are you putting an A5 in the same class as an 1100?

Certainly did not aim to infer that. I know better.

Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK. The Beretta would be my choice. The theory is that the inertia autos are more reliable, however the Beretta will never fail anyway and definitely is softer shooting.

Don't knock the older 1100's. The word on the trapshooting lines is that the 70's models were the best, but that the newer ones (and double for the 11-87) are not up to par. I have an 1100 Trap that has certainly had over 75000 through it. I quit shooting trap in 1981 and recently shot a few again 'cause my grandson wants to. I shot one practice round, broke 22, shot my hundred targets and broke 94. They are definitely too heavy for an upland gun, at least in my opinion. I want a 20 ga to be 6 pounds, 28 ga at 5 pounds is my preference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've had both Benellis and Berettas in different models and prefer the former because of the characteristics you point out -- lighter, simpler, at about the same price point generally as the Beretta depending on model and purely dependable. While Berettas are excellent guns, weight is an issue with me as I may walk five or six miles in uneven country in SD with some up-and-down too.

That said the Beretta A400s are pretty darn nice guns but much more complex running a gas system at 7 lbs+ and mine got very sooty after a short season. The Benelli inertia-drivens can be stripped down to parts pretty quickly and much more thoroughly cleaned with less effort IMO.

Right now I consider the Ben Ultralight in 12 ga with a 24" tube at 6 lbs to be about the perfect uplander in a semi-auto for me though the 20 would probably be as good and even lighter. For late season, wind-driven, wild pheasants I've come to prefer the 12 though. The Ben Montefeltros are very nice guns also and almost as light too but IIRC a mag capacity of one more.

The Ultralights reduce weight in part by having a mag capacity of just two plus one in the chamber.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I've had both Benellis and Berettas in different models and prefer the former because of the characteristics you point out -- lighter, simpler, at about the same price point generally as the Beretta depending on model and purely dependable. While Berettas are excellent guns, weight is an issue with me as I may walk five or six miles in uneven country in SD with some up-and-down too.

That said the Beretta A400s are pretty darn nice guns but much more complex running a gas system at 7 lbs+ and mine got very sooty after a short season. The Benelli inertia-drivens can be stripped down to parts pretty quickly and much more thoroughly cleaned with less effort IMO.

Right now I consider the Ben Ultralight in 12 ga with a 24" tube at 6 lbs to be about the perfect uplander in a semi-auto for me though the 20 would probably be as good and even lighter. For late season, wind-driven, wild pheasants I've come to prefer the 12 though. The Ben Montefeltros are very nice guns also and almost as light too but IIRC a mag capacity of one more.

The Ultralights reduce weight in part by having a mag capacity of just two plus one in the chamber.

I'm leaning towards the Benelli Ultralight and I prefer a 24" tube versus a 26" or 28" barrel; perhaps this is just the turkey hunter in me getting in the way.

I didn't catch the reduced mag capacity of the UL, thanks for pointing it out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Re: magazine capacity, maybe it's the result of shooting double guns some but I have gotten in the habit of loading my repeaters with only two rounds, one in the chamber and one in the magazine when hunting upland and small game. It dawned on me I rarely needed the 3rd shot and rarely are they high % shots. It also makes it easy to load and as importantly unload your gun. To load, drop one in the port ( side ejection guns) and close the action, slide one in the magazine. As quick as loading a double. To unload open the action catch the shell , roll the gun on its side dumping the 2nd shell into your hand. No chucking or shucking needed. I haven't noticed my game bag being lighter though my shell bag is a bit heavier since I'm not wasting those 3rd shots.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Things to keep in mind about shotguns.

most shooters have several rifles a drawer full of pistols but use one or so shotgun
they get used to its quirks and over the years they seem to disappear

as you know shotguns are rarely used from a resting or support position. so
the fit is extremely important. They are shot usually from an upper body rotating
The new bunch of guns have adjustable stocks for comb height cast off and cant. Take advantage of that and get as good as fit as possible. Some have polyurethane inserts on the comb to reduce cheek soreness.

compared to a good O/U most pumps and autos have inconsistent triggers.

weight reduces recoil. gas guns spread the recoil impulse over a longer period of time. nothing cycles faster than a double.

barrel length quotes in pumps and autos rarely include the length of the receiver which will make them longer than s/s or o/u

trying to decide on one shotgun is a shame, particularly if you reload. the monotony of one gun and one load may be very important in the case of trap or skeet but if if you reload the different guns open up horizons just like rifles or handguns

I enjoy searching for 12 autos that will shoot and cycle 28 ga equivalent 3/4 oz loads. Favorite to date is a Browning B 2000 made in Belgium, beautiful wood.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Etoh, very true; basically I'm a SXS guy but I always have at least one auto on hand.

The Ben Ultralight for a semi-auto has hit the sweet spot for me and there is a turkey choke for it too BTW which last week I proved worked just fine.

One other important piece of info for any lefties -- the Ben's plunger type safety's are easily reversible which I prefer over buying a left hand-specific gun for resale purposes should I choose to. So I buy a right handed and reverse the safety.

On the Beretta A400 the trigger unit contains the safety had to be sent in to a Beretta service center. It was one glance at it that told me I was not going to attempt it. So, even the trigger-safety unit was quite complex compare to the Ben'; at least this was true of the A400.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/27/17.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
one question about shotguns I've never got the answer.

Why is the wood always better on left handed shotguns?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by bangeye
Re: magazine capacity, maybe it's the result of shooting double guns some but I have gotten in the habit of loading my repeaters with only two rounds, one in the chamber and one in the magazine when hunting upland and small game. It dawned on me I rarely needed the 3rd shot and rarely are they high % shots. It also makes it easy to load and as importantly unload your gun. To load, drop one in the port ( side ejection guns) and close the action, slide one in the magazine. As quick as loading a double. To unload open the action catch the shell , roll the gun on its side dumping the 2nd shell into your hand. No chucking or shucking needed. I haven't noticed my game bag being lighter though my shell bag is a bit heavier since I'm not wasting those 3rd shots.

other distractions may make this ok in the game field, but in skeet and trap the gun cycles different on the last round and the action locking back is distracting. The B 2000 has a nice side loading port and if you release the round it will load itself

When shooting 3 gun I usually hold 4 shells in the left and load on the move while holding the gun on target with the right so the chamber is always charged.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Beretta all the way. Way softer to shoot and more reliable.
Wouldn't own a Benelli as a gift. Didn't Benelli fire Tom Knapp after he got sick with cancer. I think he went to Mossberg after that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Wouldn't own a Benelli as a gift. Didn't Benelli fire Tom Knapp after he got sick with cancer. I think he went to Mossberg after that.

If letting go of Mr. Knapp is why you dislike Benelli and go "Beretta all the way" you should note that Beretta owns Benelli so the decision makers were essentially all the same. I will agree that it was a completely crappy thing to do. I think Mr. Knapp went to CZ afterward, right?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At the time Mr. Knapp was let go, I believe Benelli was not owned by Beretta. No matter it was a terrible way to do business. And you are right that Tom Knapp did shoot for CZ. I still believe that Beretta autos work better and shoot softer than Benelli.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Take note of the safety location on the various guns you are considering. The Beretta safety is located at the front of the trigger guard, which is a deal-killer for me. You said you liked the ergos of the Beretta, but unless you've shot the gun in a situation where you need to fire instinctively you may not realize the importance of this. It's a bad feeling when the bird flies away unshot-at because you didn't get the safety off.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DLSguide

Perhaps on softer to shoot, but I think you would have a very hard time proving more reliable. Both great guns, both reliable, but if utter reliability is paramount I'll take the Benelli every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I was with a group in Argentina duck hunting (shooting, really) out of a Remington sponsored lodge a few years ago...care to guess what they had in the loaner rack? All Benelli. Said the Remingtons had stopped working long ago. Asked why no Berettas in the mix, they said "good for doves, not good for mud." This lodge shot cases a day.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Being an older guy, my interest in semi-auto shotguns are pretty much limited to the Browning A5s and Remington 1100s. In pump guns, to the Ithaca 37, Remington 870, and Winchester 12.

I've been shooting the same Remington 1100 20 gauge 26" skeet gun for nearly 40 years, have put at least 10K rounds through it, and have yet to have a single malfunction.

During that same period of time I've run through a dozen or so Remington 870s in 12, 16, 20, and 410. None wore out or failed to function, just bought and sold them as the commodity products that they are.

Remingtons are fine for the average hunter,but the 10K rounds you have put through yours in 40 years will be shot in a week in an Argentina dove hunting lodge. They only use Beretta and Benelli shotguns because they can use them with that kind of volume shooting for years and years.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Let me throw one more wrinkle into the thread. I prefer a 24" tube, but have nothing against a 26" barrel. I realize the 28" gives the maximum sight plane, but is there any appreciable difference between a 24" barrel and 28"?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I predominately hunt with my 20 & 28 gauge O/U guns these days; in the mid-90's a friend recommended a Beretta A390 12 gauge.
I took his advice and bought a A390 "Silver Mallard" w/ a 26" barrel in 1995 and it's been my only 12 gauge hunting shotgun since. It gets used for trap/skeet/clays, waterfowling, a couple of turkey hunts and many dove shoots.
The A390 has been trouble free for all these years, I couldn't ask for anything more.
I do keep my eyes open for the same gun in 20 gauge but after a few rounds and a dove hunt with an Franchi Affinity I might change my mind.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Let me throw one more wrinkle into the thread. I prefer a 24" tube, but have nothing against a 26" barrel. I realize the 28" gives the maximum sight plane, but is there any appreciable difference between a 24" barrel and 28"?

When I was in Argentina last summer, my rental gun was a Benelli Montefeltro with a 24" barrel. Everyone else in the group had Beretta 391s with 26" or 28" barrels. After running +3,500 rounds through it and a couple hundred in the 391 (swapped up with my buddy just because), I can say that I really liked the short barrel. Most experts will say that longer is better for wing-shooting, but I think I could go either way. I can't say if I shot the Montefeltro better because it fit better or because I had more experience with it? But after the first day, I was shooting really, really good and I'm not usually a great shot-gunner.

I spent most of my life shooting an 11-87 in 12 ga and now own a Benelli M2 in 12, but after that trip, I vowed to buy a 20 ga semi in the near future.

As others have said, there are only 2 guns in the high volume dove shooting world, Benelli and Beretta, but most hunters will not shoot 5,000 rounds at game birds in their whole lives so gun reliability long term is a non-factor. Argentine dove outfitters run 5000+ rounds thru their guns every week, year round. I asked the outfitter how often they replace the guns and expected his answer to be yearly.....he said every 7-10 years....you can run the numbers on that!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Franchi Affinity is the same quality produced at the same factory as a Benelli. But at a much lower price point. If going inertia, it is the one to get.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
StudDuck,

The Berretta 391 20 runs flawlessly and can be had in longer barrel lengths.

By the way, I recommend you just get a 20 gauge. They're just fine for turkey with good loads.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

There is, but it is primarily balance and the extra weight out front to "help" you with swing/follow through. As for sighting plane, you already have an extra 3 plus inches for the receiver, so a 24" Benelli is roughly the same "sight plane" as a 28" o/u or SxS. For strictly waterfowl I prefer the 28" on a Benelli, but if it were mostly going to be for turkey and upland, I would go 24" or 26"; the shorter if mostly turkey, the longer if mostly upland.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In general, yes, gas-operated autos are softer to shoot because they weigh more and ARE gas-operated. The only time I can think of this as a potential issue is if I was shooting competition and a100 or many more rounds a day.

In the uplands, IMO, its a completely empty argument and to claim Berettas are more reliable than Ben's is completely ridiculous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I will also add after fifty years of wing shooting the so-called "longer sight plane" of longer barrels makes some sense while in the easy chair at the typewriter (this was espoused in the sixties already), I have found longer barrels slower, heavier, and not one feather more effective than, say, a 24" tube.

At least for me. Upland shooting usually requires quickness but then I'm a "snap-shooter" not a point-and-swing guy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I do always get a bit of a chuckle out of the quotes of 50k rounds thru this or that gun. I am reminded about JOC comments on worrying about shooting a rifle barrel out and the cost of the shells to do that. At roughly $250 per thousand for relatively cheap shells 50k shells is 8 grand or more compared to the cost of the gun.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I will also add after fifty years of wing shooting the so-called "longer sight plane" of longer barrels makes some sense while in the easy chair at the typewriter (this was espoused in the sixties already), I have found longer barrels slower, heavier, and not one feather more effective than, say, a 24" tube.

At least for me. Upland shooting usually requires quickness but then I'm a "snap-shooter" not a point-and-swing guy.

Agree with everything you said here George. If this is a partridge/quail/chukar gun, go 24". The 26" adds a little extra weight out front to help with follow through if long crossing pheasants are your thing. I do a decent amount of pass shooting, so I do like the 28" for that. The 26" strikes a very nice balance on the 20 gauge Benelli.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

George not singling you out specifically, but I hear the above statement often and I quoted yours so I didn't have to type it again.

For the below, let's assume a guy cleans his shotgun at the beginning of dove season and wants to shoot it until the end of Dec/Jan/Feb when upland/waterfowl close depending on your locale. Short of filling the thing up with mud/muck crawling or dropping it hunting waterfowl, even exceptionally avid hunters will be able to run either shotgun an entire season with little likelihood that they'll need to disassemble for any cleaning due to poor feed/function. If you go out and get rained/snowed on, you've got to pull them both apart and clean them.

Yes Benelli's bolt comes apart easy. Big deal, none of the parts in the bolt being "shooting dirty" are what cause feed/function failures.

Yes the Berettas get dirty under the forearm. The piston, it's chamber, and the stem that the piston runs on get dirty, but again, from just shooting them normally, none of that sooty fouling makes any difference, it's not going to detract appreciably from feed/function.

Here's a breakdown of the field-stripped Benelli parts in roughly the order they come out:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. frame, 5. bolt handle, 6. firing pin retainer, 7. locking head pin, 8. firing pin, 9. bolt head, 10. inertia spring, 11. bolt body, 12. trigger group retainer pin, 13. trigger group. You need to remember how to re-assemble 13 parts. One can argue that on the split-top/bottom guns like SBE/Vinci that the trigger group can remain in the frame but on the S-90 and Monte, the've got to come out to get the bolt's tail seated properly.

Beretta field stripped parts list:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. gas piston, 5. operating rod, 6. bolt handle, 7/8. bolt (2 pieces once out), 9. frame, 10. trigger group, 11. trigger group retainer pin.

So, give or take, you've got the same number of parts that need to come out/in for a field-stripping/cleaning. Here's the thing, if either a Benelli or a Beretta is having function issues, it's unlikely that any of the above parts/pieces are the main culprit. The main culprit is almost ALWAYS the recoil return spring in the butt-stock. Cleaning that is essentially the same for both shotguns. Pull the pad, pull the butt-stock, put a little heat on the threaded recoil return spring/butt-stock retainer and unscrew. Take care near the end of the threads or you'll shoot the spring and bolt-tail seat across the room and under some piece of furniture or appliance that hasn't been moved since Nixon was president. Then you'll have to deal with 3' dust bunnies that United Airlines couldn't kill.

Here's where the shotguns differ appreciably IMO. Rarely is a shotgun so dirty that there is a failure to eject. Typically failure to Feed/Function happens on the forward stroke. The Recoil Return Spring (RRS) in the stocks of both are truly the heart of both actions. Slow either of them down due to cleanliness or neglect and you can clean the dozen or so action parts listed above for each all you want, the SOB still won't cycle properly. The Benelli RRS is significantly "softer" or of less tension than the Beretta. Take a new example of each, pull the bolt back and let it slam forward and it's pretty obvious which spring is stiffer. The Benelli spring HAS TO BE softer in order to allow it to cycle "everything" because it's relying on only recoil. The Beretta can be a lot stiffer because it's using the gas in conjunction with recoil to cycle. That softer RRS in the Benelli NEEDS attention more often to ensure proper Feed/Function. The stiffer spring in the Beretta also contributes to longer overall life IMO. The softer spring in the Benelli allows it to beat itself to death with prolonged use of heavy loads whereas the Beretta bolt hits the open end of it's stroke much softer due to compressing a much stiffer RRS spring.

Yes I am a "Beretta Guy" but I believe I came by it honest via an awful lot of field and target shooting Beretta, Benelli, Rem 1100's/11-87's, Browning gold/Win SX's, original A-5's/Franchi 48's, and even a couple of S&W 1000's. 5yrs in a busy gunshop (3k guns/yr give or take) during college also gave me a glimpse of what needed to be fixed and what didn't.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Beretta has to be a lot stiffer
The reciprocating mass (wt) of the Beretta bolt/carrier is significantly greater, requiring more lbs of force to overcome the inertia. Its slamming shut doesn't really mean it closes better.

the spring lbs of force between the two is about the same if viewed as unit of weight bolt/lbs of force of spring

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1

George not singling you out specifically, but I hear the above statement often and I quoted yours so I didn't have to type it again.

For the below, let's assume a guy cleans his shotgun at the beginning of dove season and wants to shoot it until the end of Dec/Jan/Feb when upland/waterfowl close depending on your locale. Short of filling the thing up with mud/muck crawling or dropping it hunting waterfowl, even exceptionally avid hunters will be able to run either shotgun an entire season with little likelihood that they'll need to disassemble for any cleaning due to poor feed/function. If you go out and get rained/snowed on, you've got to pull them both apart and clean them.

Yes Benelli's bolt comes apart easy. Big deal, none of the parts in the bolt being "shooting dirty" are what cause feed/function failures.

Yes the Berettas get dirty under the forearm. The piston, it's chamber, and the stem that the piston runs on get dirty, but again, from just shooting them normally, none of that sooty fouling makes any difference, it's not going to detract appreciably from feed/function.

Here's a breakdown of the field-stripped Benelli parts in roughly the order they come out:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. frame, 5. bolt handle, 6. firing pin retainer, 7. locking head pin, 8. firing pin, 9. bolt head, 10. inertia spring, 11. bolt body, 12. trigger group retainer pin, 13. trigger group. You need to remember how to re-assemble 13 parts. One can argue that on the split-top/bottom guns like SBE/Vinci that the trigger group can remain in the frame but on the S-90 and Monte, the've got to come out to get the bolt's tail seated properly.

Beretta field stripped parts list:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. gas piston, 5. operating rod, 6. bolt handle, 7/8. bolt (2 pieces once out), 9. frame, 10. trigger group, 11. trigger group retainer pin.

So, give or take, you've got the same number of parts that need to come out/in for a field-stripping/cleaning. Here's the thing, if either a Benelli or a Beretta is having function issues, it's unlikely that any of the above parts/pieces are the main culprit. The main culprit is almost ALWAYS the recoil return spring in the butt-stock. Cleaning that is essentially the same for both shotguns. Pull the pad, pull the butt-stock, put a little heat on the threaded recoil return spring/butt-stock retainer and unscrew. Take care near the end of the threads or you'll shoot the spring and bolt-tail seat across the room and under some piece of furniture or appliance that hasn't been moved since Nixon was president. Then you'll have to deal with 3' dust bunnies that United Airlines couldn't kill.

Here's where the shotguns differ appreciably IMO. Rarely is a shotgun so dirty that there is a failure to eject. Typically failure to Feed/Function happens on the forward stroke. The Recoil Return Spring (RRS) in the stocks of both are truly the heart of both actions. Slow either of them down due to cleanliness or neglect and you can clean the dozen or so action parts listed above for each all you want, the SOB still won't cycle properly. The Benelli RRS is significantly "softer" or of less tension than the Beretta. Take a new example of each, pull the bolt back and let it slam forward and it's pretty obvious which spring is stiffer. The Benelli spring HAS TO BE softer in order to allow it to cycle "everything" because it's relying on only recoil. The Beretta can be a lot stiffer because it's using the gas in conjunction with recoil to cycle. That softer RRS in the Benelli NEEDS attention more often to ensure proper Feed/Function. The stiffer spring in the Beretta also contributes to longer overall life IMO. The softer spring in the Benelli allows it to beat itself to death with prolonged use of heavy loads whereas the Beretta bolt hits the open end of it's stroke much softer due to compressing a much stiffer RRS spring.

Yes I am a "Beretta Guy" but I believe I came by it honest via an awful lot of field and target shooting Beretta, Benelli, Rem 1100's/11-87's, Browning gold/Win SX's, original A-5's/Franchi 48's, and even a couple of S&W 1000's. 5yrs in a busy gunshop (3k guns/yr give or take) during college also gave me a glimpse of what needed to be fixed and what didn't.

Well said and good info I believe. My Beretta A400 never failed but as you say it looked like the inside of a chimney under the forend.

I'll admit as I've stated many times before weight is a priority issue with me and while I'd have no qualms about sitting in a blind with a seven pound+ s-a gun but when it comes traipsing one field after another all day I'll go to the lighter shotgun every time assuming it's something nice to look at and completely dependable. The same goes for rifles with me.

BTW, both of my better SxS are Berettas.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Etoh
The reciprocating mass (wt) of the Beretta bolt/carrier is significantly greater, requiring more lbs of force to overcome the inertia. Its slamming shut doesn't really mean it closes better.

the spring lbs of force between the two is about the same if viewed as unit of weight bolt/lbs of force of spring

When the weather gets cold, the Berettas cycle better and it's due to the stiffer RRS. The Benellis just plain get too slow to cycle. I was catching my stride with a shotgun as CRP was in its infancy in my native ND and I've never left. I've seen nearly every manner of shotgun fail. Beretta fails less.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Etoh

When the weather gets cold, the Berettas cycle better and it's due to the stiffer RRS. The Benellis just plain get too slow to cycle. I was catching my stride with a shotgun as CRP was in its infancy in my native ND and I've never left. I've seen nearly every manner of shotgun fail. Beretta fails less.

This is exactly what happens to our duck hunting group this year. We hunted for two days in 15 to 18 degree temperatures, pushing our equipment and ourselves to the max. All three Berettas ran great. The Benellis shot pretty well too, but they certainly had more issues. Their actions got slow and feeding became somewhat of a problem. This is the second time that that we have seen this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well I've hunted in -15 wind chills (at least) with two different Bens several different times and they certainly didn't slow up though I might have. In fact in SD last winter hunted in a semi-blizzard with various other semi's slowing -- failed to fully eject -- but no Benelli acted up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've predator hunted my old Benelli M1 in temperatures in the teens with nearly a 1/4" of ice frozen on the gun from freezing drizzle throughout a long cold day. When the shot came at a called coyote the M1 fired, ejected and fed just like it always does. I've owned that H&K imported M1S90 for over twenty years and hunted it in hot dusty conditions, pouring rain, freezing cold, ice and snow and it's been flawless. In fact, I have two of those M1's and have yet to have a malfunction of any sort in either one. My experience...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd have to agree with horse1 on this topic, even though I choose to run a Benelli every time. The Benelli will get slowed down by cold weather before a Beretta will, given equal maintenance.

What I've done is to forget about the weak spring in the Benelli so that it can run light loads, as all my hunting loads are 1 1/8 ounce or heavier at high velocities whether lead or steel. As such, it is simple to put in a Wolff extra power spring in the buttstock and get more spring power for closing without beating the gun up on the back end.

Equipped that way, I'll take the inertia action every time, as I have found them far more tolerant of dry dust than a Beretta or Browning. Dry dust from field goose hunting is what I've seen shut down more autos than anything wet or cold. Always on the return stroke, not closing all the way.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Very good information here but it's a shame that all of this is about which Italian shotgun is so much better than any American shotgun.
The same is true with O/U shotguns.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm an old pump guy, and don't plan to change. Wingmasters make me feel the world is a good place. That said, my sharptail hunting buddy has a 20 gauge Benelli. And it is one great bird gun. We sometimes trade shotguns for an hour or so and it points great, swings great, and I've never seen it malfunction...cause it doesn't smile.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd have to agree with horse1 on this topic, even though I choose to run a Benelli every time. The Benelli will get slowed down by cold weather before a Beretta will, given equal maintenance.

What I've done is to forget about the weak spring in the Benelli so that it can run light loads, as all my hunting loads are 1 1/8 ounce or heavier at high velocities whether lead or steel. As such, it is simple to put in a Wolff extra power spring in the buttstock and get more spring power for closing without beating the gun up on the back end.

Equipped that way, I'll take the inertia action every time, as I have found them far more tolerant of dry dust than a Beretta or Browning. Dry dust from field goose hunting is what I've seen shut down more autos than anything wet or cold. Always on the return stroke, not closing all the way.

That stiffer spring slows recoil down before it gets to your shoulder as well, it's a very good thing, just takes most target loads off the table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think the bottom line is as is evident here, there are some very good semi-auto's and it often comes down to one's experience and preferences. And those can change too as experience grows and different models appear.

I'll admit to biases against most American made shotguns for several reasons, with a few exceptions, including the semi-autos -- there is no close competition here for the Big Two from Italy IMO but that's what makes a horse race.

Good luck with your choice.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I think the bottom line is as is evident here, there are some very good semi-auto's and it often comes down to one's experience and preferences. And those can change too as experience grows and different models appear.

I'll admit to biases against most American made shotguns for several reasons, with a few exceptions, including the semi-autos -- there is no close competition here for the Big Two from Italy IMO but that's what makes a horse race.

Good luck with your choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gas system on the 11-87 Sportsman's Field Model is designed for heavier loads? I hadn't really considered it for my purpose, but while we're on the subject of American shotguns, I thought I'd ask.

I appreciate all the discussion, it's given me a lot to think about, but at the end of the day, I think it will come down to a gas-operated Beretta or the inertia system of the Benelli; both are going to serve my purpose and outlast me at this point, so it will boil-down to ergonomics. Heading back to Cabela's within a week or two to shoulder a few more.......hoping the Benelli Ultra Light fits.

ETA: I do want to have a look at the Franchi Affinity as well.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/02/17.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have two semi auto 12 guage shotguns.

A Benelli M2 and a Weatherby SA-08. I cant tell a lick of difference in recoil between the two, the SA 08 being a gas gun.

The Weatherby was under 500 bucks, and has worked flawlessly. When the M2 starts slowing down, I hose if off with some WD40 and it picks right up.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If WD-40 works for you, fine, but I've found that it is not a great gun lubricant......the carrier dries up and it leaves a gummy residue behind. I'll use it in an emergency but not as regular gun maintenance. Some of the newer synthetic gun lubes work better, and I've had good luck with plain old silicone lube.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300_savage
If WD-40 works for you, fine, but I've found that it is not a great gun lubricant......the carrier dries up and it leaves a gummy residue behind. I'll use it in an emergency but not as regular gun maintenance. Some of the newer synthetic gun lubes work better, and I've had good luck with plain old silicone lube.

I wondered about this whenever other posters started talking about their shotguns slowing down in colder temps; my first thought was improper or petroleum based lubes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
hoping the Benelli Ultra Light fits.

Hope your fillings are good and tight.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Franchi Affinity is the same quality produced at the same factory as a Benelli. But at a much lower price point. If going inertia, it is the one to get.

I think you know what you're talking about.

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse today and shouldered several shotguns, and it came down between two; the Benelli Ultra Light and the Franchi Affinity. For the money, the Affinity wins.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.