Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Throw road flares down badger holes.

Dave

And stand by with a paper sack to catch them when they come out? shocked

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get yourself two sticks about 3/4" diameter and 10" long, real smooth ones, but don't go to the lumber store and buy dowels, they don't work. Closet rod material is way too big. Carve them out of some kind of hardwood. I like dried, aged walnut.

Carve 6 or 7 notches in each one about 1/2" wide and 1/8" deep, 5/8" apart, near one end of the sticks. Toward the middle of each stick on the opposite side as the carved notches, screw in a brass hook. You need to go to the hardware store for that! Now you can hold the sticks hooking your index finger in the brass hooks with the notches pointed inwards, towards each other. You can drill a hole in each one and tie them together with a string if you're afraid of losing them. Make the string 18-20" long.

Position yourself about 20' from a badger hole, but not upwind. Badgers have an excellent sense of smell. Slowly rub the sticks together, creating a soft clicking noise. Vary the speed up and down, creating excitement with the tempo as it goes up and down. The idea is to get the badger to think there's a prey species right outside his den. Repeat this for about 20 minutes. You need to stop and rest periodically, allowing the badgers natural curiosity to work on him. If he gets curious enough he will poke his head out to have a look around. When he does, let him have it.

After 20 minutes, if this hasn't worked, don't lose heart, you can still get the badger. At this point just throw the sticks on the ground, they never work anyway. I'd go with a road flare.

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Geeze, I hate badgers, but I never shoot them.

They sure kill a lot of other animals that make holes.

Sometimes land owners get touchy about badgers, best to ask if they are okay with you shooting them.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I shot a Badger about 15 years ago and have not seen another since. Kind of regret that now. We just don't have them around anymore.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We hunt badger early in the spring. Hides are best then. Usually we catch them near dog towns.. we have quite a few.. Some ranchers in fact most want them shot year around!

Molon Labe
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Best way to snag a gopher (sage rat) is to use 10# test on a spinning rig. Put a loop around the hole and when it sticks his head up set the loop and enjoy the afternoon. Even more fun with prairie dogs.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Can use fresh baler twine too.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Badger, 278 yds, .204 Ruger :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In Idaho and eastern Oregon, whistle pigs are a small ground squirrel. I think rock chucks used to be called whistle pigs back in the day, but for whatever reason the phrase now refers to a particular type of ground squirrel.

As far as badgers, I have never heard of anyone actually hunting them. I've seen folks try to trap a particular problem badger, but generally they're targets of opportunity.

This is the correct answer for southern Idaho and eastern Oregon, they used also used to be referred to as picketpins and gophers in southern Idaho, not so much any more, I now hear many folks who refer to them as ground squirrels which technically is correct. It seems to me that the ones in the desert southwest of Idaho are smaller than the average sized ground squirrel also.

If you know what a picketpin is then it is easy to see how they acquired that name. I have used all three names for them but now I mostly refer to them as gophers which confuses folks who are not familiar with them being called that, but I have called them either picketpins or gophers for so many years that I am not going to change now.

Funny thing is that I have never heard anyone who was raised in southern Idaho call them whistlepigs, that seems to be an imported term with the influx of non-natives to the area.

drover

Now you have. Always called them whistle pigs, but maybe Meridian is not what you consider "South".

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fugkin awesome!

One question, why are you giving him a bath?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's the biggest badger I've ever seen! Beauty eh?

LOL
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You need to find a fresh den and you can call them out. I just use a rabbit in distress call. You have to be close to the den to call them out because they might be 6 feet under the ground. They like to sun themselves also after hibernation. Catching them laying on the den is always a thrill.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Ever been chased by a Badger....?

Them's one mean SOB......they will rip U a new AH.....

Shot this one in self denfense........ crazy

Ruger 300 BLK...110 Nozlers......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Please, NO pics of the new AH.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or the old AH for that matter!

I think I've only ever seen one badger. We got him to come out by flipping dead picket pins down into the hole he was in.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've shot a couple of badgers but only as targets of opportunity. I've trapped a couple dozen over the years but they are not all that common around here.

My mist recent experience with a badger was just before the black bear season. I went to check on one of my bait pits and noticed one had the lid tilted but not pulled off as a bear will. That usually indicated a group of raccoons worked over the corner and got inside. I pulled that part of the lid off and immediately noticed a set of badger fangs headed my way.

I jumped back and started running through the brush backwards. I was just able to stay ahead of the whirlwind of fury which kept me in one piece. It was close enough deal that if I would have turned around or tried to draw my pistol and shoot, that badger would have had me for sure. It was a young badger and he didn't carry the pursuit very far before he turned and took off into the brush. I was very cautious lifting the pit lids not only the rest of that season but for the next couple of seasons too.

I have always believed "whistle pigs" were a marmot or maybe a pika. Woodchucks are pretty much called that and ground squirrels are usually, but wrongly, called gophers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
If you've never hunted badgers before, it's easy. Just look for their mounds of dirt and find their tunnel. Then it is just a matter of going in after 'em...... They like to be called 'Charley'.....

[Linked Image]

1st Engineer Battalion tunnel rats?

I served under one of them, Jerry Sinn, who went from E-1 to O-9.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Craigster:

I'd never mess with anyone tough enough to bathe a badger. I understand they exclusively favor Dawn dish detergent.

Local rancher kid scored a tiny pup once when mom was hit by a rig as she crossed the road moving the youngster to a new den. Aside from tearing the hell out of the lawn, they said it was a wonderful house pet taking almost exclusively to one of their sons.

Lost it to a visiting gang of cow dogs during a branding session at about 9 months.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/23/17.

1Minute
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Shot a big old badger yesterday.. He was digging in my pal's hay field.. No pics.. Got a new computer and it won't transfer to homephoto bucket😝 Got him w/ my rebarreled .300 Sav. & a 110 gr Speer over 3031.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by kingston

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fugkin awesome!

One question, why are you giving him a bath?

I was wondering the same thing.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.