Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seol will be toast. There were at least twenty thousand, yes 20K artillery pieces within range. This will be one huge mess that we once again left unfinished. Big Mac was right....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Seol will be toast. There were at least twenty thousand, yes 20K artillery pieces within range. This will be one huge mess that we once again left unfinished. Big Mac was right....

Truth.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
George Patton wanted to whack the Ruskies at the end of WWII while they were vulnerable. He could see over the horizon.

Wasn't politically correct at the time, but there would have been no Soviet Bloc, no Cold War.

Neville Chamberlain incubated the BIG war, a much smaller operation could have taken Hitler out early on before he was given ample time to build a mighty military machine.

Hindsight is 20/20. But, here we are, what do we do with the cards we've been dealt. You gotta play the hand you're holding.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yep...

Fired by Truman...

Goes along with my previous post.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
God knows what we have there....under the surface. whistle

It's the Boogeyman. And the Boogeyman is real.

[Linked Image]

"The Ohio-class SSGN bristles with more conventional firepower than any comparable vessel because its twenty-four missile tubes (eighty-eight-inch diameter) were originally designed to carry enormous Trident ballistic missiles. Twenty-two of them were refitted with Tomahawk launch canisters with seven missiles each, for a total of 154 Tomahawks missiles, all of which can be ripple-fired from underwater in the space of six minutes. This is likely to be a heavier cruise-missile armament than an entire surface task force."

Why China and Russia Fear America's Killer Cruise Missile Submarines

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This will be one huge mess that we once again left unfinished. Big Mac was right....

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yep...

Fired by Truman...

Goes along with my previous post.

DF

Yep. My Dad who was a WWII Veteran thought the same.

Truman just couldn't stand Mac's ego. If he'd been smart, he would learned how to stroke it and harness and have that tool when he really needed it. But...

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/18/17.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Amigo, you could not be more right. Fifty seven years ago( 1960) , I joined the Corps to go to Korea and finish that mess.

I guess Vietnam payed better.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of the OHIO class are SSBNs and the central component of our strategic nuclear deterrent. While some have been converted, my point to the original query was addressing SSBNs. Those we're saving for Russia and China. smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Big Mac got his ass handed to him in the Philippines AND in the Korean Peninsula. He was just lucky the Marine Corps was there, and not reading Macs press releases about what a good job MacArthur was doing.

Sycamore

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Big Mac got his ass handed to him in the Philippines AND in the Korean Peninsula. He was just lucky the Marine Corps was there, and not reading Macs press releases about what a good job MacArthur was doing.

Sycamore

I seems to me since WW 2 the politicians have kept the military's hands tied. I think a lot of things could have turned out different if this was not the case. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Sycamore

Yeah, Inchon and the drive to the Yalu was just a terrible piece of generalship. As to the PI, with no air or sea assets, yeah, it was all his fault....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Sycamore

Yep, real warriors.

Google: Chesty Puller/Chosin Reservoir.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sycamore

Yep, real warriors.

DF

My father was a an army staff sargent who was standing on the beach when McArthur returned. He fought for McArthur all across the Pacific. Actually spoke with him on a number of ocasions and greatly admired the man. He thought Truman was a fool for not listening to McArthur.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Sycamore

Yep, real warriors.

DF

My father was a an army staff sargent who was standing on the beach when McArthur returned. He fought for McArthur all across the Pacific. Actually spoke with him on a number of ocasions and greatly admired the man. He thought Truman was a fool for not listening to McArthur.

In clear 20/20 hindsight, Big Mac was right, Truman just a politician.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sycamore

Yeah, Inchon and the drive to the Yalu was just a terrible piece of generalship. As to the PI, with no air or sea assets, yeah, it was all his fault....

And then what happened?

Sycamore

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After the drive to the Yalu and the impending complete defeat of North Korea, the Chinese entered the war with huge numbers of troops since they could not allow their client state to fall. They were possibly emboldened in this since no one had dropped a couple dozen a-bombs on their border area.

However, MacArthur and his staff believed that the Chinese would not attack in any numbers and did not pay attention to signs that they would, right up until they did.

The Chinese side of the Yalu remained a safe haven and dividing line across which we could not attack for fear of enlarging the war, so it settled into a back and forth stalemate - a tactic repeated in some ways in Vietnam with the safe havens of Laos and Cambodia.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Said not much was going to happen with only one carrier.

Especially when it's in the Indian Ocean......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty well summed up by Jim above. Further, his "defeat" in the PI, it's his fault just about like Travis' was at the Alamo. Cut off outnumbered and with no possible help for relief, he was ordered out by the President. Man, what is it with you lefties and your hatred of the like of MacArthur? Lastly and to my original POINT, had he been allowed to finish off and drive the Chinese back to the Yalu and a unified Korea, we would not be in this mess. Just another zero to the left of the period and US Foreign Policy debacles since WWII.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...However, MacArthur and his staff believed that the Chinese would not attack in any numbers and did not pay attention to signs that they would, right up until they did....

yep, a great general, expert on asians, doncha know?

check out what the Army says about it.

http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/kw-chinter/chinter.htm

The initial warning attacks and diplomatic hints by the Chinese were ignored by the overconfident Far Eastern Command under General MacArthur. MacArthur�s failure to comprehend the reality of the situation led the entire United Nations army to near disaster at the Ch�ongch�on River and the Chosin Reservoir. Only the grit and determination of the individual American soldiers and marines as they fought the three major enemies of cold, fear, and isolation held the UN line together during the retreats from North Korea. Once tied together into a coherent defensive line, under new and dynamic leadership, these same soldiers and marines showed their determination to continue the fight. Hard battles lay ahead, but the period of headlong retreats from an attacking, unsuspected foe, was finally over.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
ò
I recall saying one is just a statement, two are needed for mutual support and three enhances combat operations sustainability and survivability against a serious enemy. For Gulf War one, we deployed SIX.

And a battle wagon!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could still park the Missouri, the Iowa and the Wisconsin off the coast of NK.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.