Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was reading that as much as 40% of U.S. corn goes into biofuel. So that follows what I've seen over the last decade or so.

I've seen farmers knock down hedge rows and 15 acre tracts of woods and grow corn property line to property line. I've seen more giant machines than I ever have in my life, and this ain't Nebraska, it's northern Ohio.

I've seen huge tanks of Anhydrous Ammonia, stuff that kills everything. Stuff that if big agriculture and the USDA wasn't behind it would never be approved for use.

Now I'm seeing corn grown two years in a row, the cycle was corn beans wheat before, never two years in a row on corn.

I'm seeing creeks run with algae, as soon as we get a summer slow down the algae fills them. And we wonder why we have that algae problem in Lake Erie.

I get it, ethanol has reduced emissions, but what is it's real environmental impact when you look at the total scope of things?

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/23/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
News flash for you RBB, and that is, I can't think of any "environmentalist" organizations who are in favor of growing more corn to make ethanol for gasoline.

The big money behind it is all from the agricultural lobby.

Or maybe you can come up with a few examples?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
News flash for you RBB, and that is, I can't think of any "environmentalist" organizations who are in favor of growing more corn to make ethanol for gasoline.

Umm...

Do they grow diesel exhaust fluid on corn farms?

That's DEF packaging. The additive they make you put into diesels now to lower emissions. For the environment, ya know? whistle

But, since you asked about environmental groups supporting ethanol...

Madison, WI----Statewide and regional environmental and conservation groups commend Rep. Stephen Freese for his willingness to strengthen air quality protections in AB 15, the bill he authored that would require all 87 octane gasoline sold in the state to contain 9-10% ethanol. The bill is currently in the Senate Agriculture and Insurance Committee.

Sponsors and supporters of the bill agreed to an amendment that allows the WDNR to suspend the mandate if the use of 10% ethanol is demonstrated to cause or contribute to violations of federal air quality standards. The amendment gives WDNR proper authority to prevent possible pollution problems that might result from the legislation.

With the addition of the Clean Air Protection Amendment, Clean Wisconsin, Sierra Club - John Muir Chapter, Environmental Law & Policy Center and Wisconsin Wildlife Federation are now supporting AB 15, the E-10 mandate.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I was reading that as much as 40% of U.S. corn goes into biofuel. So that follows what I've seen over the last decade or so.
Wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

I've seen farmers knock down hedge rows and 15 acre tracts of woods and grow corn property line to property line. I've seen more giant machines than I ever have in my life, and this ain't Nebraska, it's northern Ohio.
That due to the fact that small farmers have a very, VERY hard time surviving; gotta go big or go home..

I've seen huge tanks of Anhydrous Ammonia, stuff that kills everything. Stuff that if big agriculture and the USDA wasn't behind it would never be approved for use.
Bullchit.. AA is used to allow corn to grow to full maturity - a crop that needs a heady amount in order to mature.. Without it, the crop would be stunted and probably end up with about 1/2 the crop otherwise.. Ban that and watch the starvation commence..

Now I'm seeing corn grown two years in a row, the cycle was corn beans wheat before, never two years in a row on corn.
Maybe in your area.. Around here it's common for 2-3 years corn, then a year of soybeans or 3-4 years of alfalfa..

I'm seeing creeks run with algae, as soon as we get a summer slow down the algae fills them. And we wonder why we have that algae problem in Lake Erie.
That's only part of the problem. The rest is pollution from homeowners who hire 'lawn services' that apply 3-4 'treatments' (fertilizer/weed killer) on their lawns. Then the homeowner's sprinkler system is overused and the runoff gets into the sewer system - which ends up in the lakes (and rivers).. Farmers here are mandated to leave a 'buffer' (a swath of land not planted/fertilized) next to any river or dry run to prevent that very issue.

I get it, ethanol has reduced emissions,
In vehicles, yeah.. But the process of manufacture AND transportation of the finished product negates every bit of that, IMHO.
but what is it's real environmental impact when you look at the total scope of things?
Sorta like 'electric cars'... Another BS item..

Last edited by Redneck; 04/23/17.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Umm...

Do they grow diesel exhaust fluid on corn farms?

That's DEF packaging. The additive they make you put into diesels now to lower emissions. For the environment, ya know? whistle

But, since you asked about environmental groups supporting ethanol...

Madison, WI----Statewide and regional environmental and conservation groups commend Rep. Stephen Freese for his willingness to strengthen air quality protections in AB 15, the bill he authored that would require all 87 octane gasoline sold in the state to contain 9-10% ethanol. The bill is currently in the Senate Agriculture and Insurance Committee.

Sponsors and supporters of the bill agreed to an amendment that allows the WDNR to suspend the mandate if the use of 10% ethanol is demonstrated to cause or contribute to violations of federal air quality standards. The amendment gives WDNR proper authority to prevent possible pollution problems that might result from the legislation.

With the addition of the Clean Air Protection Amendment, Clean Wisconsin, Sierra Club - John Muir Chapter, Environmental Law & Policy Center and Wisconsin Wildlife Federation are now supporting AB 15, the E-10 mandate.

Look at the subject of the OP, then look at my question, and see if you can answer the question I actually asked.

Which environmental groups advocate growing more corn for gasoline?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not sure now, but when a couple of the first ones around here opened, it took more electricity and water to make a gallon than what it's value was ??? They have since went tits up (yeah)!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They talk about air, while ignoring all the other impact. If you talk about environmental impact you have to look at the total scope, not just air. Critters can't winter over in a field that is mowed flat with no cover. Fish and aquatic creatures cannot thrive in water choked by algae.

It seems to me that soil has been reduced to nothing more than a medium for the transfer of chemicals and artificial fertilizers.

So what is the total impact?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Look at the subject of the OP, then look at my question, and see if you can answer the question I actually asked.

Which environmental groups advocate growing more corn for gasoline?

Keep running in circles. If you get dizzy, stop and rest awhile... grin

BTW, I sure don't support ethanol, corn subsidies for growing it, or the stupid fuggin mandate to add it to the fuel that causes billions of dollars in damage to otherwise fine motors.

In fact, I don't support agricultural subsidies of any sort, and have never taken a dime of any of them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, nice diversion. At least I can stay on topic. You may want to read the OP again, that'll help you stay on topic too.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny, I thought the subject was green mandates that are not green, and the environmental impacts they have.

You're the one still pissed off about BHA taking all the greenie money. laugh

I just dismiss them as another red herring.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Funny, I thought the subject was green mandates that are not green, and the environmental impacts they have.

You're the one still pissed off about BHA taking all the greenie money. laugh

I just dismiss them as another red herring.

Pissed off, that's a good one. Why would I be pissed off about that thread, you never made any points and were reduced to quoting wacky websites you didn't even know the content of.

As for this thread, once again, read the OP and see if you can figure out what it's about. Once you figure that out, it'll all make sense.

Here's a hint for you: the OP made zero references to any "green mandates," and his question was on the scope of environmental impacts from growing more corn for gasoline.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Here's a hint for you: the OP made zero references to any "green mandates," and his question was on the scope of environmental impacts from growing more corn for gasoline.

You must be off your meds today.

I get it, ethanol has reduced emissions, but what is it's real environmental impact when you look at the total scope of things?

If that doesn't relate to ethanol, def, CAFE, and any other subject that the greenies have shoved down our throats through Obama, and his EPA, and any of the subsidies related to green energy, or reduced emissions that have greater environmental impact than they reduce, I don't guess I understand what your policy for being the "On Subject Cop" is.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

No I didn't, yet those mandates and federal tax breaks is what drives this. We need to end those tax breaks and subsidies. Yes it will piss off Big AG and the oil companies. But we really need to stop looking at a single layer and sacrificing one for another.

If we only look at air, and at that only on the surface which are emissions from the final user, we can make a case. But if we step back and look at the entire picture from all forms of environmental impact and food production we see a different picture.

Agriculture from it's conception was intended to feed people. True some is used for other things, like cotton and other fibers, but really to feed is the number one thing. So we now expend our soil resources for fuel, I call that stupid.

The end result of agriculture should be food on my plate, not gas in my truck.

And these "groups" that support it, walking in the Global Warming bullshit.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What's left after the starch in corn is used to make ethanol is a high protein feed.

In some ways, I long for "The old days", there is however no going back to 1950.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree

No I didn't, yet those mandates and federal tax breaks is what drives this. We need to end those tax breaks and subsidies. Yes it will piss off Big AG and the oil companies. But we really need to stop looking at a single layer and sacrificing one for another.

If we only look at air, and at that only on the surface which are emissions from the final user, we can make a case. But if we step back and look at the entire picture from all forms of environmental impact and food production we see a different picture.

Agriculture from it's conception was intended to feed people. True some is used for other things, like cotton and other fibers, but really to feed is the number one thing. So we now expend our soil resources for fuel, I call that stupid.

The end result of agriculture should be food on my plate, not gas in my truck.

It will certainly piss off big AG, But, I doubt you'll hear the oil industry bitching if we do away with the ethanol mandate.

And, you are right. Nearly all the environmental policies like this have a worse impact than they let on.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am sure the small engine-boat motor repairmen lobby for it, it has given them guaranted job security, fixing what that alcohol crap trashes, most miserable junk ever invented for small engines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And, you are right. Nearly all the environmental policies like this have a worse impact than they let on.

And finding all the hidden impacts is near impossible. Some things don't show for long time, then explode. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those wind farms and solar farms fall into the same category.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When corn went to $7 a bushel 4 years ago corporate farms and big corporate farmers bought up every available acre of ground and upped their production of corn. An acre of ground was going for $7000 plus an acre around central Iowa.

Now that corn is $3.50 a bushel and the corporate farmers need to pay for that expensive ground they have to get production out of every acre. That's why all of the trees and fences are being torn out.

Like every one else, they apparently thought the good life of $7 corn was going to continue. If oil continues to go down and continues to make bio fuels less viable, you are going to see more trees and fences go away just so the expensive ground does not go back to the banks. This is not a family farm issue as much as it is a corporate greed issue.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.