Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have seen sick dogs, of course, but a drunk skunk?

Any other old sayings that do, or do not make any sense?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
'A penny saved is a penny earned.'

That makes cents !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Drunk' skunks always appear rabid to me. Drunk squirrels, OTOH, don't seem uncommon at all.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
'A penny saved is a penny earned.'

That don't make cents!

Always made sense to me

A dollar you save replaces a dollar you'd have to earn to replace it

Extrapolate it out and save enough dollars you don't have to earn any more

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Crazy as a loon?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snot slinging drunk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know about skunks getting drunk but they do eat fallen fruit. Cows eat it and can get staggering drunk. They have different stomachs, though, and skunks might not have the same affects.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Three sheets to the wind. ??

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any time Dad saw a leaning tree, or a silo, or a building, he'd say "Boy, that one's leaning towards Maggie's outhouse!" Never did know the origin of that one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skunck? is that Canadian?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We threw a party about 20 years ago and mixed up a big batch of 'Skip and Go Nekkid' for the girls. At the end of the night we dumped all the fruit from the bottom of trash can in the back yard. About three in the morning I thought there was a gang war going down so I run out with a mag light and pistol.

Drunk raccoons laying every where. Big ones, little ones - the yard was full of them. Some of the little ones were squalling. I thought the big ones were dead but they were just too drunk to move.

So I have witnessed the old adage 'Drunk as a coon'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Three sheets to the wind. ??

That is an easy one. Sailing term. The sheets are the ropes that control the sails (not the sails themselves).
To lose one sheet from your grasp, means you lose some control of your craft.
Two sheets ripped from your hand due to inattention or weather, means you have lost even more control of your vessel.
Three sheets to the wind (flapping lose in the wind) mean completly out of control.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who knows this one? "Worthless as a Tinker's dam"? wink

(The study of words is an intrest i share with my father.)

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The dam is a paper wad used to hold solder from running, at least as understand it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well what to ya know, thank you. I learned something today and it's only 7:45am!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The dam is a paper wad used to hold solder from running, at least as understand it.

A Tinker is a pot mender. He would travel from town to town, and fix cracked skillets and pots by heating the cast iron as hot as he could and fill the crack with lead.
His work stunk though, and he could not work in town. He would travel out of town to the first good camping spot with running water, and set up for a while. He would build an earthen wall to funnel the winds into his fire (acts like a bellows) to stoke his coal fire. And he would not bother removing the dam when he was done. He might need it again at a later date.
However, anyone else who chose this likely spot while traveling, would be using wood, and wanting a low fire and not burn all his fuel so quickly. So he would be forced to either set his fire in a less advantage spot, or remove that wall himself. It was in the way.
So "worthless as a Tinker's dam " means beyond useless.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kellory

A Tinker is a pot mender. He would travel from town to town, and fix cracked skillets and pots by heating the cast iron as hot as he could and fill the crack with lead.
His work stunk though, and he could not work in town. He would travel out of town to the first good camping spot with running water, and set up for a while. He would build an earthen wall to funnel the winds into his fire (acts like a bellows) to stoke his coal fire. And he would not bother removing the dam when he was done. He might need it again at a later date.
However, anyone else who chose this likely spot while traveling, would be using wood, and wanting a low fire and not burn all his fuel so quickly. So he would be forced to either set his fire in a less advantage spot, or remove that wall himself. It was in the way.
So "worthless as a Tinker's dam " means beyond useless.

It's interesting to come across different explanations for sayings. The background I heard on this one is that a tinker was a general repairman, to include mechanical gizmos. He was hired to repair things, and thus "a tinkers damn was was indeed beyond useless, as it did nothing to effect a repair.

Dale

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about "dead as a door nail" ship shape and Bristol fashion", "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey", "take a round turn and two half hitches" or peeping Tom?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen sick dogs, of course, but a drunk skunk?

Any other old sayings that do, or do not make any sense?
I've seen drunken dogs and sick skunks. A skunk will look drunk when he's rabid and they are a prime carrier of rabies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Colder than a well digger's ass." - how it feels outside today.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.