Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You're shooting "Gofers"? Do you have something against office errand boys, or are you practicing for shooting "gophers"? whistle wink

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Looks like you've got detachable mounts on the 527. How good are the open sights?

Haven't tried em yet.....I just got it and wanted to figure out which ammo it liked first.
I'll get around to it one of these days.
I probably won't use them much but I figured a rifle with good irons might as well have QD's.
FWIW....CZ has actually started using a Fiber Optic front blade in their Carbines....something my old eyes will appreciate.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
You're shooting "Gofers"? Do you have something against office errand boys, or are you practicing for shooting "gophers"? whistle wink

LOL....and still that old debate lingers.. smile

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Great thread and thanks for the report Charlie. Also some great information from Nifty-Two-Fifty, although I think I at a minimum parallel FG's sentiment that there's some horse-schitt not necessarily worth shoveling. You mileage, experiences, and needs may differ.

That said, I still need to get my CZ-452 .17 HRM out and find it's best ammo, hence my interest and appreciation for this thread and the thoughts and information provide.

Happy (almost) Easter gents.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thats some nice shooting with the CZ...most are quite accurate at their price point, althought I have had a couple that were not so great I still like them.....check the nickname !

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody that's nutz about CZ's is ok in my book.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since the Eley and SK are producing the best groups I did a little shoot out at today's weekly range trip.

Ten shot groups at 50 cept for one of the SK's....I lost count.. frown

I'd give Eley a slight edge but it costs 40% percent higher so I'm calling it a draw.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I won't pay the price for Eley, either. Way too much other stuff that shoots well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I won't pay the price for Eley, either. Way too much other stuff that shoots well.

MY main bullet once I start shooting gofers will be Mini's but I'm having fun playing with some of the better target ammo in the mean time. I try to keep it in the $.10 a round range though and the Eley's about $.14. Only reason I bought a box of 50 was to get that particular order to qualify for free shipping.
I have 1 brick each of Norma Tac and SK Standard Plus on the way...stand by.... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I don't do any of that.

I seldom clean a rimfire and five five shot groups tell me what I want to know.

If I was competing I'd think about it along with rim thickness sorting and all that other obsessive crap but it's a Gofer gun.
As long as I can get five shots touching I'm happy.

Looks great to me. You are doing very well and your rifle is damn accurate...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang Charlie you and that CZ were made for each other!

It makes me wish that i would have rat-holed several CZ 452 rimfires before they became popular.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Dang Charlie you and that CZ were made for each other!

It makes me wish that i would have rat-holed several CZ 452 rimfires before they became popular.

Thanks Lonny....I'm pretty happy with it.
The only other really nice 22LR bolt gun I've owned was a Remington 504.
It was a nice gun and pretty accurate although inconsistent, even after pillar bedding but it wouldn't hold a candle to this little beast.
My Marlin 39's pretty accurate. It would be interesting to put a scope on it and do a head to head but there ain't no way in hell I'm putting a scope on that little classic. It's got a pretty good peep sight on it though....I might see how they match up at 25 one of these days but right now I'm having too much fun with the CZ.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Damn Charlie, nice shooting. you still have it! You may find that the SK Standard Plus equal the Ely your using.
My 504 is in love with Norma Tac 22's, some older CCI subsonics and Fiocchi subsonics.
Ely, RWS, and Lapua prices are getting beyond my reach. I do keep enough RWS Subsonics around to hunt with, but don't shoot much paper with them anymore. Now that RWS is making Norma and Geco and offering it at lower prices, the same with Lapua making SK jag and Wolf, it makes it more affordable and with darn good accuracy.
I see where RWS also makes the Federal Gold Match ammo. So who is making the Fiocchi subsonics.....CCI? They shoot pretty good also.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Where did you get the info that RWS is making the Ultra Match for Federal?

Seems a bit odd since Federal is fully capable of making it themselves.

Last edited by jk16; 04/23/17.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I simply read the box. The Federal Gold Medal Ultramatch is made by RWS in Germany. Even the flap end says
"R50_Stanze
which is RWS's flag ship match ammo.
Federal maybe fully capable of making Ultra Match themselves as is Remington, but Remington's match ammo is made by Eley.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
Damn Charlie, nice shooting. you still have it!

Thanks Jim....I credit it to my decision to switch to lite beer.
I'm telling ya...if they ever make diet whisky I'll live forever and there goes any chance you might have had of getting your hands on that spatula.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It's been reported that diet whiskey makes you delusional. Some, its reported have become nice to others, while a larger portion have given away their most prized possessions to long distance friends.

I'll send you a full case of it. whistle

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Norma Tac 22 hasn't showed up yet but the SK Standard Plus from Brownells came in this week so i tested it against some SK Magazine during my weekly range trip today.

The "expurts" over on RFC say it's the same stuff....

I tend to agree...what do ya'll think?

The usual ten shot groups at 50 with a 4x Scope.
[Linked Image]

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
WOW!! That lite Beer is still working.

Very nice groups.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
FG,

That's some fine shooting.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I took my new Ruger 77/22 to the range this past week to seriously test ammo to find what this rifle liked best. I shoot a lot of ground squirrels so I tested seven different hollow point loads. I also tested seven assorted standard velocity, subsonic, and round-nose high speed loads.

I once read an article by Jim Carmichael where he tested several 22 LR loads against each other. He used five-shot groups at 50 yards. His targets looked fairly similar to FieldGrade's, in that it was hard to tell much difference from one group to another.

Mr. Carmichael then tested the two or three loads that seemed to be the best by shooting 10-shot groups at 100 yards. The results much more clearly showed a difference in group size and shape. He concluded the article by saying that in the future he would always test 22 ammo with 10-shot groups at 100 yards. I decided to take his advice for my testing.

I have also read that it was best to shoot enough of the next load to re-foul the barrel in order to get the best results, as hasbeen and others have mentioned.

I decided to shoot two 10-shot groups with each load before moving on to the next load. Then I would only compare the second group shot with each load against each other. I did not do any cleaning or bore-snaking during my testing session.

On Tuesday morning the conditions at the range were ideal. The air was quite calm, the sky was a high overcast, and the temperature was in the high 40s to high 50s during my testing. I don't shoot rimfire benchrest competition, and my eyesight has deteriorated with age, but my results are consistent, and I do get a lot of squirrels.

My results were quite satisfying, to me. Over several hours I fired over 300 rounds. In almost every case the second group was smaller than the first group, even if only by a bit. Only one first target was actually smaller than the second, and not by much. In some cases the first two shots of a new load were definitely outside the remaining eight shot group. Therefore, I conclude that it does improve results to re-foul the barrel with a few shots of the new load before shooting for record.

A ten-shot group provides a much better picture of how good the load is than a five-shot group. At only 50 yards you would pretty much just have a shaggy hole with that many shots, but at 100 yards you get a pattern.

As for my rifle, the best groups were right at 1 1/2" with American Eagle HPs, and Winchester Wildcat HPs, followed by Eley Target and Aguila Super Extra Standard and High Velocity round-nose, all at 2" or under. CCI Mini-Mag HPs were at 2 1/4".

The bottom half of the loads gave groups from 2 1/2" to 3" except for the worst load which was also the fastest, the Browning BPR at 1392 fps which produced a 3 1/2" group.

After finishing the test portion, I sighted in the scope by shooting some five shot groups at 100 yards and at 50 yards. I achieved a 1" group at 100 yards, and four consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards were consistent 1/2" groups.

I am fortunate that I recently bought several bricks of the American Eagle ammo from the same lot number as it is very good ammo in several of my rifles and the price was reasonable. All of my testing was fired through my chronograph. The velocity of the American Eagle ammo, based on 37 shots, averaged 1256 fps with an extreme spread of 77 fps. (The Eley Target had the lowest extreme spread of any of the loads, at 33 fps for 20 shots).

The Winchester Wildcat ammo that did so well was several years old (so not necessarily the same as current production) and it gave a velocity of only 1156 fps. I am glad the American Eagle beat it by 100 fps.

I am now ready to go after the ground squirrels with confidence. I am quite satisfied with the testing procedure of using two, 10-shot groups at 100 yards, and I recommend it to those looking for the best load for their 22 rimfire.

Good God.

I zero and go.

Bought 2,000 Stingers and I'm down to my last 200.

I miss with my CZ and 77/22. But not often.

Case of Browning HP's is getting cracked next.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.