-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen scope screws that hit the bolt and caused all kinds of goofiness.

GB1

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine had a 223 that shot poorly. After checking everything numerous times he sold the rifle and bought a Musgrave that did what the Tikka was supposed to. I know 100 guys will say it was shooter error or something he missed as they just don't want to believe Tikkas can also be inaccurate.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I agree folks can have trouble seeing past the brand. Unfortunately there are usually a lot of blanks left unfilled in these stories. I read a page and a half on another forum about a rifle not living up to the shooters expectations. All the usual remedies were offered. No dice. Turns out the feller was trying to work up loads off of a cordura Wally World front bag,and no back bag at all. Now I have done some decent shooting with my fist under the toe of the stock,but if not I wouldn't blame the rifle. Yes,some rifles are duds. And,unfortunately some folks just dont shoot well either. Until all the "T"s are crossed,and the "I"s are dotted,there is no way you can draw a valid conclusion.

Last edited by Otter6; 04/24/17.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Take the barrel and action out re torque the screws and then try another scope. Also are you using the rings that come with it I don't like them get you some Talley rings

I have Talley rings. I machined them so that they cover then dovetail like we have seen done here. As note, it's a brand new scope from Doug. I will shoot it tomorrow and then switch to a known 15x target scope and see if it changes anything. Really bums me though.

I am using Fed gold medal match ammo as my test ammo as well as some cheaper stuff like Rem corelokts and Hornandy softpoint ammo. Have not shot any handloads in it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check those base screws for contact. Might even see some marks on the bolt head.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own two T-3's. Almost dead-on right out of the box. That being said I went through a lot of scopes on my previous rifles until I found out that the most expensive were not the most repeatable. I bought a Vortex and it stays where you put it. Also buy a torque wrench so you are getting the amount of torque that the ringmaker suggests. I doubt if the T-3 is the problem.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I bought a stainless 30-06 Ruger 77 MarkII which grouped about 5 or 6 inches (seriously) at 100 yards with any-and-all bullet/load/scope/ring/stock-bedding-combinations I tried. (only gun I've ever owned that did that)

I liked the action so much that I just put a new barrel from Benchmark on it, and that solved all problems on all combinations of loads... sometimes, a lemon just happens.

By the way, after I tried all combos of different variables, Ruger just commented that the gun was "shooting to their factory specs".... too funny. I have bought other Rugers since their silly comment, because even a good company sometimes throws out a brick.... Ruger, Tikka, or anyone.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't own a Tikka, but after reading all the good reviews here when a friend asked me what rifle he should buy last year I recommended a tikka. He likes it and a guy he knows said it shot so well he went and bought he and his son one, no problems. Another friend who is a very capable shooter was looking for another rifle, I told him of the previous story and he bought a new, old model t3 30-06. Won't shoot worth a dam. He bedded the stock, had to float the barrel and worked up some hand loads, it will now shoot 3/4 to 1" .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that Dennis's post was mostly expressing disappointment and perhaps some disbelief. I have not done a search, but I am convinced that you would be hard put to find a post about Tikkas here on the campfire in which someone said that they had a Tikka that did not shoot sub-moa right out of the box.

With my luck, I am also reasonably certain that if I bought a Tikka, it would shoot patterns instead of groups, too. Dennis has my sympathy. mad

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am disappointed. Maybe I have a bum scope. Hope to find out in the morning. It has been my experience with 308s that if they won't shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 168s, they won't shoot.

My neighbor down the street has a CTR and it has never shot a group over 3/4", most 1/2". It is a 308 too. One of the reasons I bought this one.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've spent the last couple weeks working with a SS T3X in 30-06. Federal Fusions are 1.5-1.75". I have found a nodule with 165 Accubonds and 4350 that routinely shoot an inch or less (some substantially so). Also found a load with the same powder and SST that shoot into an inch. I like the rifle and am glad I purchased it. However, I wouldn't say it's been easier than a dozen other rifles(Rugers, Winchesters, Remington's, Weatherbys) I've loaded for over the years to get to shoot well. I do have a Sako 85 in 7STW that shoots into 1" with just about every handload I've tried. My Tikka is a nice rifle....but not magic.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Check those base screws for contact. Might even see some marks on the bolt head.

Base screws are fine. I had to shorten only one of them. I have a brand new Meopta scope on it -I have no idea if the scope is good or not. One would think that it was last 10 rounds,No?

I shoot off a benchrest pedestal, concrete bench, berms on both side and wind flags. Wind was pretty much non-existent in this case. I have the whole range to myself with no distractions etc. I can walk down range and check my targets whenever I want and am careful about cooling the barrel etc.

I have shot many thousands of groups, many of them off this bench. Trigger is decent and not part of the problem in this case. I didn't tear the rifle apart and "check the bedding" etc. I just cleaned it thoroughly, mounted a scope and shot a few groups with factory ammo so I could get an idea of where it was.

I will go in the morning, take another scope and try it again.

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey Dennis long time no see. As SOP for me and a new or new to me rifle, I too shoot factory ammo just to disprove or eliminate my handloads. Have you tried Federal Fusions?

I've found them to be as close to my handloads in accuracy then any other brand I've tried (note: no I have not tried all brands).

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds to me you've done what's reasonable. I guess it's possible for a rifle to not like Federal GMM, but that would be the exception. I would take the stock off and reassemble just to eliminate any simple things. Does a cleaning patch go through evenly? No weird barrel issues?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wife's T-3X Superlite in 7-08 is not "wowing" me either. Two close, one out has been the story. A few good 3 shot groups but some 2-3" as well. Just gonna keep plugging with it, but this is my first Tikka and altho there are a lot of things to like about it, it has to improve.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Sounds to me you've done what's reasonable. I guess it's possible for a rifle to not like Federal GMM, but that would be the exception. I would take the stock off and reassemble just to eliminate any simple things. Does a cleaning patch go through evenly? No weird barrel issues?

This is where I start with everything. Completely dissassemble, paying attention to the bits and pieces, reassemble and see WTF....

I won't mention a finger tight rear scope base that sent me for a loop once.

It happens.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
This would be a first. Most likely the scope

I've had good luck with a couple of Tikka rifles, but still, you must live in a really small world and don't get out and about much.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BayouRover

I've had good luck with a couple of Tikka rifles, but still, you must live in a really small world and don't get out and about much.

I have had 3 of them and probably have owned a dozen Sakos. I now own a T3x in 30-06 which I have not fired, when I do I expect it to shoot exactly the same as the other t3's. AH the beauty of 24hr, getting insulted by pissants who don't agree with what their experiences are. GFY azzhole congrats you are now on ignore

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BayouRover

I have had 3 of them and probably have owned a dozen Sakos. I now own a T3x in 30-06 which I have not fired, when I do I expect it to shoot exactly the same as the other t3's. AH the beauty of 24hr, getting insulted by pissants who don't agree with what their experiences are. GFY azzhole congrats you are now on ignore

LOL!!!! I'm surprised and crushed at the same time. laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the range today with Dennis... I'll let him report the results. Maybe he'll post some pictures ?

I did give him 6 of these from my stash to try out...

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (222Sako, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.