Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I am FINALLY super duper close to having a long time project (started in Jan 09) completed. The only things that need doing are the metal finish (I've decided on Birdsong Black-T) and a stock.

It's a Mexican Small Ring 98 with a #1 contoured Rock Creek 1-in-9" twisted tube finished at 22" and chambered in .257 Roberts.

I have an ok wood stock I could spend a bunch to get perfected, but after seeing Dirtfarmer's LR Swede in a McWoody the gears started turning.

I know I'd like a Sako Hunter McWoody, but if I like a slightly barrel-heavy feel to a rifle should I do edge or standard fill?

I'll have to send the barreled action to McMillan for custom inletting and it'll cost the same for this stock as for a Kimber Montana I know but I just gotta get this thing shooting!!

Let me know what those of you with experience would suggest,

Efw

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Assuming they inlet the Sako Hunter for a 98, that ain't the stock I'd go for with a 'smallish' Mauser build.

I'd slap it in their Mark X stock and go Edge.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If it were me with that action-barrel-chambering combination and wanting a slight barrel-heavy feel, there is but one choice between the two stocks-Edge!

Sounds like a sweet build....

Happy Easter!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a nice rifle/build. I'd go edge since it's chambered in a low recoil cartridge and the barrel profile is screaming edge stock as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you get molded-in McWoody finish in Edge? I thought Edge was paint only.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Can you get molded-in McWoody finish in Edge? I thought Edge was paint only.

Read again, slowly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're gonna spend the money, might as well go edge. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Edge comes with pillers installed. That alone is worth the cost, the 7-8 oz weight reduction is a bonus.

The standard stocks are generally exactly the same weight as wood. Unless the rifle were in a heavy recoiling rifle, or intended as a varmint/target rifle where the weight is needed I'd go Edge every time.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks a lot guys I'm going to go edge and given Scott's suggestion rethinking the Sako Hunter styling. Gonna call McM and describe to them what has fit me well and see what they suggest. I think that Mark X looks like a good one.

Thanks again all!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JMR40
The Edge comes with pillers installed. That alone is worth the cost, the 7-8 oz weight reduction is a bonus.

Actually the pillars installed is worth $25.

IC B3

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Thanks a lot guys I'm going to go edge and given Scott's suggestion rethinking the Sako Hunter styling. Gonna call McM and describe to them what has fit me well and see what they suggest. I think that Mark X looks like a good one.

Thanks again all!

Good call.

Holler if you want to head west a bit abs handle the Sako Hunter, though.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't forget that the Sako Compact is an option too. A small ring 98 and a #1 contour seem like a great match. Especially with edge fill.

Semper Fi

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks again everybody.

Doing the Mark X stock Steelie suggested in Edge in McWoody! Because it's a custom I'm getting custom inlet there.

I'll let you guys know and post up pics when it's finally done. Prolly 6 months-ish?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the Sako Compact also. Same stock with a shorter forend and no cheek piece.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by TC1
Look at the Sako Compact also. Same stock with a shorter forend and no cheek piece.

I like the looks of that (though I prefer a cheek piece) but Rick said that they only inlet the Mark X for Mausers (even though I'm getting a custom inlet) so that is the only option I have.

Ordered it today; got the 6 month clock tickin' whew ha!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by TC1

I like the looks of that (though I prefer a cheek piece) but Rick said that they only inlet the Mark X for Mausers (even though I'm getting a custom inlet) so that is the only option I have.

Ordered it today; got the 6 month clock tickin' whew ha!!

McMillan will inlet most of their common Sako stocks for Mauser actions. I do not think the 75 series stocks will work. Here is a Sako Compact Edge with with a commercial FN98 and a Douglas #3. I sent McM my barrel action for inletting and they did a very nice job. Total invoice from McM was $703 including the return shipping of the barreled action.

FWIW they typically only do 100% drop-in for the Mark X / Interarms / Whitworth rifles and the Husqvarna 1640 series rifles. There may be others but as you found out they typically ask for the barreled action.

The Mark X is a great stock but there are other options if you know the right questions to ask. I had originally ordered a Mark X for the below rifle but changed to a Compact when I found out it was an option.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my FN in a Sako Compact.

[Linked Image]

The Mark X is a fine stock also. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Ok straight from McM as passed to me through Rick. They used to forbid McWoody on edge, then it was allowed, now again due to weight it's not offered again so I ordered 3-color speckletone in brown, gray, and khaki.

Sako designs are available for Mausers so I ordered the Sako Compact.

I've got my S&Ks ordered and once they arrive it's off to Birdsong for Black T plating and on to McM for my 6 mon wait.

I'll let y'all know when she's together... can't wait to see how she shoots... and KILLS!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.