Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by LFD
Why spend a lot of money because someone says a premium bullit is better than the cup and core for White Tail Deer

A cup and core 270 will work 100% of the time on broadside chest shots. It will work on 99% of all shots. It's the 1% where you need a bonded,partition, or mono Barnes type bullet.

I grew up on the .270 and have learned and adjusted over the years.....Sure on a perfect broadside, unalert, standing still deer, 1/3 of the way up behind the shoulder deer you will have a dead deer within 100 yards everytime...But how often does that happen?..Deer moves last minute, rushed shot, wind switches or gusts, catch a twig, a million things can go wrong and thats when you will want a better bullet! In my younger years I thought it was cool to shoot the bright colored tipped BT's. It was also cool to blow a 4 inch hole in the front chest of a 6pt at 30yards..But.. It wasnt cool when I caught a shoulder and wounded an animal....Also use to shoot el cheapo cup and core (Win blue box, remington Coreloc, Win silvertip, Federal) and have seen my fair share of failures and less than desirable performance from them as well as BT's, SST, hotcore)...practice with them, sight in with them, shoot coyotes with them....But when season rolls around spend the extra $5-10 a box and buy some decent bullets (minimum hornady Interloc, Fusions, Accubond,ELDX, Sirrocos, partitions)

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So with better bullets, deer don't move at the last minute, they miss twigs, make the wind blow in one direction, and you won't rush your shot.

Amazing.

A phuqq up is a phuqq up, I don't give a schit what bullet is coming outta the tube. Put it where it needs to go and schit dies.

End of story.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For years I hunted in places where the chance of seeing something really nice was pretty slim. Now I've got the opportunity to hunt where the good ones roam. I don't want to have to pass up a shot because the angle is marginal, or lose that nice one because I don't get a good blood trail. Good bullets narrow the odds, especially when shooting something a bit on the light side like a .243.

Those SPS bargain NPs are just the thing. I especially like finding the overruns because they come in a box instead of a bag. Just picked up some more 100gr .243s and 160gr .277s.

In my .308 I've been using 165gr BTs. For some reason, neither deer I shot fell until after a run of 80-100 yards, even with excellent shot placement, massive destruction in the chest, and big exit holes. Just one of those things, I suppose.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 16bore
So with better bullets, deer don't move at the last minute, they miss twigs, make the wind blow in one direction, and you won't rush your shot.

Amazing.

A phuqq up is a phuqq up, I don't give a schit what bullet is coming outta the tube. Put it where it needs to go and schit dies.

End of story.

no, errors still occur... But with a better constructed bullet, especially at .270 velocities, there will be better penetration allowing you to go through a shoulder, or giving you two holes for blood, guts and bodily tissues to fall from, making the tracking of your wounded animal a little easier.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like the Hornady 150 non-boattail.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by magnum44270

Amazing.

End of story.

no, errors still occur... But with a better constructed bullet, especially at .270 velocities, there will be better penetration allowing you to go through a shoulder, or giving you two holes for blood, guts and bodily tissues to fall from, making the tracking of your wounded animal a little easier.

Yep,I had one move a little on a front facing shot. It caused me to shoot left and I only got the shoulder and a tiny piece of the top of a lung. The bonded bullet however held together and traveled the full length of the deer even breaking a hind leg. I'm convinced that deer would have been hard to recover except for the damage that much penetration provided.

bullet exited lower gut and reentered the hind leg breaking it and lodging there.This is a 150grn 270 Federal Fusion factory load.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Amazing.

End of story.

More pearls of wisdom

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LFD
anybody trust the Federal 130gr Fusion

I have used the Federal Fusion loads in .243 Win (95gr) & 30-06 (150gr). Both were very accurate in my rifles, and preformed reliably. I would think the .270 Win, 130gr load would preform equally well; and it's the next load I am going to try out in my own .270, once I run through the last few 140gr Hornady's I have now.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFD
anybody trust the Federal 130gr Fusion
What's not to trust IF your gun likes that load? Every gun I've tried Fusion ammo in has shot good groups consistently. It's still a matter of what your gun likes.

Start with the cheap stuff, like Federal Blue Box, and only go up in search of tighter groups. Federal Blue Box 130 gr. loads are about $17.50 p/bx at Wally World.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I load 130 grain Sierra boat tails. They are accurate and relatively cheap. They kill whitetail dear pretty dead pretty fast.
Now I hear I should be loading 6.5 "Creed" bullets 'cause "the Creed" has 2 inches less wind drift. 2 inches less wind drift than what and under what wind conditions "They" won't say because "They" won't compare apples to apples. That might make their "Creed" look mundane. Oh, it is mundane and a fad like Hipster beards and shag carpet on dashboards.
Why the hate on the 270?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Amazing.

End of story.

That about sums it up right there. Great post^^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Cup and core ammo doesen't shine like the Premium sparkling ammo. Don't even receive the same attention . But they have been proven for many years.
They will be here for a long time. There still the go to Ammo.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is much harder to find a 270 bullet that will not work for deer, than finding one that will.

Don't over think it.
85gr, 110gr, 130, 140gr T/TSX,X
110 Sierra pro hunter
130,140,150gr Hornady IL, GMX
100,130,150 NAB,BT,Partition

These have all worked on deer for myself and family. Probably forgetting some of the bullets used over the last 30 some odd years and hundreds of deer put into the freezer.

Last edited by CRS; 04/01/17.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Plus Jack O Connor liked it, and I liked Keith. LOL.

So, with that being the case, I suppose you find the 50 caliber Browning machinegun cartridge to be about right for deer. Right?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shoot! Just about any 270 I can pick up at the Box store will work on deer if I adjust my scope to it.
It's a hobby and that's about pleasing one's self. Within reason, I mean, routinely having lost deer is not cool. Shooter needs to adjust Brain Housing Group not just blame the bullet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use a ton of Nosler's cause they are cheap and they work for me. I did score a few 100 of the 130 Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try them out in my 270.

I think a slightly tougher bullet reduces meat loss and kills just as well. I've got some 130 BBCs I'd hunt anything with as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I just refuse to use the 270....

Why?

Shot a friends that kicked like a mule for some reason. Worse than an 06, almost as bad as my 300 wtby.

Shot a few deer with it and it damaged way to much meat for my tastes. The 130 ballistic tips were like hand grenades.

To be fair, loading for a friends father until he passed away, 95 ttsx and I did use that gun last fall in honor of him, to shoot a deer. It didn't do much damage to the edible meat and the deer didn't go very far with a lung shot. The dog was NOT happy it was such a short trailing job.. LOL

A cousin bought one and thought the same, kicks a lot for the round,, more than an 06. And damaged a lot of meat. This with 130 sierras.

Better rounds out there for me. I tend to not monkey in the middle much... either smaller or larger rounds.

You shot one like my Mark V. I have a Savage .270 that recoils like one would expect. Then I bought this Weatherby six lug. It kicks like a mule so I put a brake on it. Now I love it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I just refuse to use the 270....

Why?

Shot a friends that kicked like a mule for some reason. Worse than an 06, almost as bad as my 300 wtby.

Shot a few deer with it and it damaged way to much meat for my tastes. The 130 ballistic tips were like hand grenades.

To be fair, loading for a friends father until he passed away, 95 ttsx and I did use that gun last fall in honor of him, to shoot a deer. It didn't do much damage to the edible meat and the deer didn't go very far with a lung shot. The dog was NOT happy it was such a short trailing job.. LOL

A cousin bought one and thought the same, kicks a lot for the round,, more than an 06. And damaged a lot of meat. This with 130 sierras.

Better rounds out there for me. I tend to not monkey in the middle much... either smaller or larger rounds.

You shot one like my Mark V. I have a Savage .270 that recoils like one would expect. Then I bought this Weatherby six lug. It kicks like a mule so I put a brake on it. Now I love it.

Physics is physics. Stock fit has a lot more to do with perceived recoil than most people realize. And it's not just LOP.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.