Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Asking the sages at 24hcf for a few tips on selling a motorcycle on Craigslist. Have sold lots of guns online so know all the stuff about good pictures, honest description etc. I know about the Craigslist scams, bad check artists and so forth so for the price (thinking around $4000-4500) I was going to ask for cash.

What I'm not sure of is how would you handle someone wanting to take it for a test ride? You want a prospective buyer to know what he's getting but in a car you can ride along with them, on a cycle they pretty much have it on their own. Can't ask prospects to bring full price in cash to let me hold but don't want to get stuck with someone who might drop it, say "oops" and just walk away with little recourse for me except to shoot them (just kidding, mostly).

Anyway, all you wheeliers and dealers, I'm all ears... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Make sure you have full coverage insurance and the looker leaves his car with you.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Size them up by what they ride in on, or drive. What kind of bike? A heavy dresser Gold Wing, or a tall dirt bike, or fast, things that a rider unfamiliar with it would have a learning curve.

I have seen ads where it stated no rides

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Test rides?
Cars yes, motorcycles no,
Money in my hand then you can ride it.
If your not happy, come back in a few minutes with a undamaged bike, is one thing, some one talking my motorcycle for a free test ride isn't gonna happen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Test rides?
If your not happy, come back in a few minutes with a undamaged bike, is one thing, some one talking my motorcycle for a free test ride isn't gonna happen.

Big +1.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He can sit on the seat, turn the throttle, look all he likes...but no free rides, unless he's a good friend buying it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Test rides?
Cars yes, motorcycles no . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ THIS^ ^ ^

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My dad advertised a boat on craigslist and several people wanted to "drive by and see it". He gave out his address. Couple nights later someone stole the Mercury outboard off it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
good luck with it.

i hope the pinheads stay away from you.
last one i sold a "buyer" wanted it, but
insisted we go to his "law-rers" orfice
to have him look it over and notarize it.
i told him that was completely unnecessary
and who would be paying for that?
"way-yul i figgurt yew'd a be-a paying ferrit"

don't sell it alone. have a friend with you. btdt

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I sold my ZRX a couple weeks ago.

In the ad I stated, "Bring Cash, I'll hold it while you test ride the bike"

I had a bunch of responses to the ad but the only guy that actually came by had cash, had me hold it while he rode and bought the bike.

Don't post your address, there's time for that if they're serious.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Can't ask prospects to bring full price in cash to let me hold but don't want to get stuck with someone who might drop it, say "oops" and just walk away

Don't know why not, that's exactly what I would do. If they are seriously interested they would have the cash in their pocket when they show up. The only thing that bothers me in this day and age is if the cash is legit! Since crooks have gotten so good at forging even the verifying of cash is getting to be problematic. They even forge that plastic strip in the bills. FWIW

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RJL53
Can't ask prospects to bring full price in cash to let me hold . . .

Don't know why not, that's exactly what I would do. If they are seriously interested they would have the cash in their pocket when they show up. . . FWIW

^ ^ ^ last one i bought i had cash

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Expect a lot of people to call, schedule appointments, and then never show up. A lot Craigslist buyers are tire kickers without any intent to buy and the opportunity to ride a $4,000+ motorcycle might bring out the worst of them.

If they are serious, they will bring $$ and a valid operator's license to the test ride.

Google "Allstate mayhem motorcycle test drive".

EDIT: I recently had a guy come by to test drive an old car that I had on CL. He was dropped off and wouldn't let me make a copy of his operator's permit, so I told him to go ahead and call his ride back, 'cause there was no way that I was going to give him the keys to that car with him leaving some sort of collateral. He was actually offended that I didn't trust him!

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/25/17. Reason: Added what I'd forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Test rides?

This was my policy when I owned bikes and it always worked out well.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Full cash payment, up front (with receipt), before test ride. Sold my last Harley that way ($8k).

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Asking the sages at 24hcf for a few tips on selling a motorcycle on Craigslist. Have sold lots of guns online so know all the stuff about good pictures, honest description etc. I know about the Craigslist scams, bad check artists and so forth so for the price (thinking around $4000-4500) I was going to ask for cash.

What I'm not sure of is how would you handle someone wanting to take it for a test ride? You want a prospective buyer to know what he's getting but in a car you can ride along with them, on a cycle they pretty much have it on their own. Can't ask prospects to bring full price in cash to let me hold but don't want to get stuck with someone who might drop it, say "oops" and just walk away with little recourse for me except to shoot them (just kidding, mostly).

Anyway, all you wheeliers and dealers, I'm all ears... wink

sure you can. it's done all the time

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I sold a nice Harley for $9,200.

Four guys showed up the next morning with a bike trailer on their van. I wasn't sure how to handle the "test drive" thing but I sure didn't want them riding it.

This was a really nice bike, not a scratch on it and 3,400 miles!
These guys just cranked it up and revved it up twice, honked the horn, and switched it off. They paid the cash and loaded the bike up on the trailer.

No, I wouldn't let someone test drive a bike, way too risky.

You can buy one of those yellow pens at Staples that will test bills to see if they are legit.
It doesn't catch all counterfeits but will catch most.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Do not leave it in your buddy's barn long enough for it to burn down completely to the ground. True story.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Meet them someplace neutral to look at bike.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a car or a motorcycle I size up the individual and find out a few things about them, then decide how to proceed.

If I do decide to let them drive the car or ride the bike, I make them hand over their drivers license, and maybe their car keys, too, for me to hold until they get back. I figure they are less likely to speed if they don't have their license on them.

If they don't trust me with their license and keys, I don't trust them with the car or bike. I have never had any bad experiences, other than turning a couple of flakes away that were probably druggies.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
291 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.