Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fifty-five years ago, the U.S. tested a nuclear weapon high above the atmosphere over the Pacific. At the time, my father -- a nuclear weapons engineer -- was listening on our ham radio.

When the device exploded, we heard nothing in Albuquerque. But, in Honolulu, 1000 miles from the detonation, the sky turned red as streetlights and telephones went out. EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) effects from the distant nuclear explosion had struck.

Today we hear concern that cities might be destroyed by North Korean nuclear tipped missiles, but Starfish Prime should alert us to a more imminent danger: EMP. North Korea can launch an EMP attack before it has developed nuclear missile technology, and EMP may be far more deadly.

An EMP disaster from a high-altitude blast seems like science fiction: There is a silent flash high in the sky, and everything using electricity just … stops. Cars stop, power goes out, the Internet dies, satellites quit working, landline and mobile phone systems go out, and computers are destroyed. In a moment, we are back to 1850, as was dramatized in William Forstchen's 2009 novel One Second After.

While the total wipeout depicted in One Second After is probably exaggerated, the effects could knock out our power grid for months, and destroy critical communications and computer systems. As former CIA chief James Woolsey recently said:

If you look at the electric grid and what it's susceptible to, we would be moving into a world with no food delivery, no water purification, no banking, no telecommunications, no medicine. All of these things depend on electricity in one way or another.
In such a situation, there simply is no way to rule out the possibility that hundreds of millions could die.

To nuke one of our cities, the North needs to master ICBM construction, nuclear weapons miniaturization, precision long-range guidance technology, atmospheric re-entry vehicles, and fusing to trigger detonation at the right time after the hazardous re-entry. In contrast, an EMP attack requires only a small, light nuclear weapon and the ability to launch it as a satellite. Once over the U.S., it is detonated.

Already, two satellites launched by North Korea cross the U.S. every day.

Do they contain nuclear weapons? Probably not, but how can we know? Nuclear weapons don't emit much radiation until they go off, so they are hard to detect. I used to fly in a nuclear bomber with the weapon station just a few feet from my station with no shielding -- no need.

Meanwhile, North Korea continues striving to miniaturize its nukes -- and may have already succeeded. They have released pictures of a miniaturized bomb, although that may just be propaganda.

Starfish Prime used a thermonuclear weapon, a “hydrogen bomb,” which was very powerful but which the North is still striving to build -- a difficult task. But only a fission weapon or “atomic bomb” is needed for an EMP, and North Korea has tested several. The yield would probably need to be increased over their latest test, but getting there is only a matter of time. Fusion boosting the weapon to higher yield is not a difficult step. The North recently restarted its Yongbyon reactor, which can produce the necessary tritium.

The EMP danger isn’t only from North Korea. Iran has the capability to launch missiles from ships at sea -- the EMP attack depicted in Forstchen’s novel.

We currently have little defense against this threat. Our land based anti-ballistic missile systems are oriented towards warheads coming across the North Pacific, while North Korea launches satellites to the south, which later cross the U.S. from the south or north. The anti-satellite ability of the Navy’s AEGIS ships is unclear -- one satellite in a very low orbit has been intercepted, and ships need to be positioned within range of the orbit. Shooting a satellite down before it reaches orbit is another possibility, but AEGIS has a very limited window for such a “boost phase” intercept.

A decision to intercept would have to be quick – within a few seconds after launch for boost phase, or before the first partial orbit is completed for a satellite intercept. Complicating the decision process is the difficulty in knowing that the launch is of a nuclear device -- and any intercept is an act of war. Even if we have the capability, the knowledge, the decision time, and the will, our missile defense system is nowhere near foolproof.

If our infrastructure were better protected, at least we might survive an attack with few deaths. One estimate says $20 billion might be enough protect the power grid -- a drop in the bucket of national spending. Hardening communications and computing systems would also be needed.

A recent Electric Power Research Institute study reported that the damage from the delayed “E-3” pulse of EMP probably would not be crippling, although they cannot be sure. Moreover, the “E-1” pulse was not addressed, but it would take out the control systems, and might destroy power transformers from flashover. Other critical systems -- such as the internet and parts of the transportation system -- are very vulnerable to both.

Because a modern state has never suffered an EMP attack, our knowledge is limited.

An EMP strike would be suicidal for North Korea, but they may see it differently, or in some crisis, not care. In any case, the threat of an EMP strike would be a powerful deterrent.

James Woolsey and Newt Gingrich are right and it is time to listen: we need a national program to counter this threat. And we need to defang North Korea and Iran -- soon.

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-securi...from-north-korea-is-real-and-terrifying/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ultimately, there can be only one. I would just soon it be me.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
nothing civilians can do except wean ourselves
off dependence on all the electronic gizzys
that we let run our daily lives.

my father was on a ship when they made pudding
out of enewetak and had nightmares every night
about it until cancer chewed him up in his early 40's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's gonna happen, and it's gonna be bad.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just curious, would Fords E4OD transmission be susceptible to EMP? Thinking about swapping a 12 V cummins into a Ford 1 ton 4x4 which would solve the engine problem, but not sure on the electronic transmission.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a neighbor who is a retired electrical engineer (we moved to a different part of the city).

He has an older Subaru Outback and has "EMP hardened" it by constructing and installing a small Faraday cage in/around the engine compartment. I suspect he had something on the inside of the car as well, though i never looked inside.

He is a really interesting guy - has his own (albeit small) observatory on a plot of ground in the mountains as well as being a HAM radio operator at the highest level.

I used to watch him rig up a man-packable Morse-Code "radio" that he said he communicated with a fella in Oregon (living in Colorado).

His basement workshop was like an electronics laboratory. Oscilloscopes and all other kinds of meters and such i don't remember what all.

I'd say he was pretty well prepared...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is this thing called a nuclear deterrent. They might be stupid,crazy but they are not going to have their country annihilated in a counter strike. It won't come from something we have that is land based either, but something that is swimming in the ocean.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, they don't want to lose their lights grin

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I read Forstchen's series regarding this issue and it's a very compelling problem. It is estimated in his books that in the effected area(s) there would be somewhere between an 80-90% mortality rate at one year.

Life was hard in the 1800's for the sturdy people of that era; imagine our being thrown back there generally with out the skills, nohow, and hardiness they developed and learned up to those times?

Revelation speaks about two specific instances where 1/3 and 1/4 of the worlds population are lost in addition to the other calamities. Makes one wonder.

One thing we can say objectively is that the present trajectory of geopolitical politics does not give much reason for optimism.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't call the police. Who has a working flashlight to go see what the dog is barking at?

Food spoilage, then food shortage.

In winter, no heat.

Scary chit for sure.

MOLON LABE

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is why I haven't sold my 140 acres in the Catskill Mountains in New York. I have my own well and enough wood to keep us warm forever. My place has phone, cable and electric but I can do well without all of that.

I keep the barn friggin loaded with enough firewood for years and I constantly keep the hand-driven well pump in working order.

There's enough deer on my side of the mountain to feed my family quite well. Plus my 3 acre lake has a rediculous amount of panfish and bass year round.

I commute from NYC to my place every six weeks or so. Usually stay for a week at a time.

I'm no prepper, though. I have enough ammo for my rifles and shotguns to hunt deer and upland game to my heart's content.

But I guess I wouldn't last very long in a siege situation. I am down to three rifles and three shotguns. And down to only one pistol - which I carry legally concealed even in NYC - a Smith & Wesson Detective Special .38 five shot.

If the world goes to [bleep] I will be fine if left alone. But that wont' happen.

Last edited by StarGazer; 04/25/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Can't call the police. Who has a working flashlight to go see what the dog is barking at?

Food spoilage, then food shortage.

In winter, no heat.

Scary chit for sure.

Not to mention the immediate breakdown in social restraint and roving bands of those who would take everything from you including your life.

Reading the books reminded me of the more recent movie, The Book of Eli.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StarGazer
This is why I haven't sold my 140 acres in the Catskill Mountains in New York. I have my own well and enough wood to keep us warm forever. My place has phone, cable and electric but I can do well without all of that.

I keep the barn friggin loaded with enough firewood for years and I constantly keep the hand-driven well pump in working order.

There's enough deer on my side of the mountain to feed my family quite well. Plus my pond has a rediculous amount of panfish year round.

I commute from NYC to my place every six weeks or so. Usually stay for a week at a time.

Color me envious!!!

I hope you have a couple ways of getting there and it's not too far a journey.

Also, i hope the "locals" either don't know what you have or you are well-connected to them all.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And it matters not that the sender got nuked; we'll still be left in the dark ages.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And it matters not that the sender got nuked; we'll still be left in the dark ages.

Pragmatism at it's most tragic. 100% true, but tragic nonetheless.

I believe most people simply do not realize how serious this schidt can be...

Anyone who has *ever* been to/in a war zone can never forget the sights and smells of utter destruction.

Maybe an EMP strike wouldn't (initially) deliver that, but the invading parties thereafter certainly could. The movie "Red Dawn" may not prove to be too unrealistic....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 325Abn
Originally Posted by StarGazer

There's enough deer on my side of the mountain to feed my family quite well. Plus my pond has a rediculous amount of panfish year round.

Color me envious!!!

I hope you have a couple ways of getting there and it's not too far a journey.

Also, i hope the "locals" either don't know what you have or you are well-connected to them all.

Don't be envious. See my edited post. If I were left alone I could probably take care of myself and my family. I'm not of the mindset to hold off a siege if it came to that.

Your point about getting there and back is a good one. Unless I was actually there when the blank hit the fan I doubt I could get out of Manhattan alive. On the best days it takes 3.5 hours to get to my place.

Face it, only those who can live like it is the 16th century would actually make it. Maybe those truly living alone in remote parts of the country with water, fire and the ability to hunt, fish and farm would be okay. Plus nobody trying to kill them over what they have.

Let's hope it doesn't happen.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The sun can/has produced the same results as emp. via coronal mass ejection. Can happen anytime and may not be as localized.

Might be a good idea to get our priorities straightened out.

For less than 1/2 the cost of one F35 joint strike fighter we could protect and rebuild the grid when this kind of event occurs...or we could just ignore it, wait for it to happen, and stare at that boondoggle jet with starvation induced half closed, blood shot eyes and hallucinate as to what could have been.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I read Fortschen's book. It is a realistic description of life after the EMP.
Your little daughter needs insulin? Too bad. The drug store ran out, and is closed anyway.
No refrigerator to keep it cool. Your daughter will die.

Along with many millions of others.
I drive an 18 wheeler. The EMP will knock out computers in all vehicles. 99.9 percent of vehicles won't run. Better hope you have a 1971 VW van with a stick shift. No milk or chicken at the grocery store. No gas at the gas station, of course, your car won't run, anyway.

It would take about 4 days after the EMP and the slaughter would begin. Gangs, especially in the cities, who have guns, will begin roaming towards the suburbs, looking for food.
Unarmed suburbanites will be like sheep for the slaughter for these gangs, and people will be killed for a can of pork and beans in the pantry, a bottle of Jack Daniels, and the water in the water heater. You can drink it!
If the suburbanite has a pretty 17 year old daughter, it will be really bad for her, she will wish she were dead.

I have prepared as best as I can. I have 39 acres in the NC mountains, where I live, very remote. I have lots of food. Lots. I have water from a spring. Lots of guns.
Got a gas stove and a tank full of propane.
Got a wood stove and lots of wood.

I am geared up about as well as I can be. If an EMP hits, screw it, Let The Games Begin! I will give it a good try and we all gotta die some day, anyway.

After reading Fortschen's book I even bought a 1982 Mercedes 240d with a stick. This car will run after an EMP. Mechanical fuel injection. Battery fried, you can roll start it.

However, having read the book more closely, you probably don't want to drive it after the EMP.

All Billy the Hillbilly has to do is to cut down a pine tree to block the road. There are only going to be about 10 vehicles that will run in my rural county.
When I pull up to the pine tree, and get out with my Stihl, Billy is hiding in the woods. He shoots me in the chest.
Then, he gets my Beretta 92FS, an SKS and 100 rounds, and nice Mercedes. Plus a nice chain saw.

No, best to hole up and keep quiet. This means, if you have a gas powered generator, you might not want to run it.
That noise could attract some very unwanted visitors.

I hope it doesn't happen but it could happen. EMP can also be caused by a massive solar flare.

And, that Nip in N. Korea is nuts. Yes, if he hit the US with an EMP his country would be destroyed like nobody has ever been destroyed before. Word would get out to at least one of our nuke subs and they would turn N. Korea into a sheet of glass. But that Nip is loco, he might just light us up anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There would be multiple fires everywhere. Any sophisticated aircraft would pile in. As almost 100% of the vehicles would be broken down there would people stranded everywhere without the beginning of necessities.

Just think if you were 60mi from home. It would four days walking without food, with weather vagaries, and who knows whom following you.

The cascade of problems becomes almost insurmountable.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Being on the outskirts of any major city will see bands of marauders or small groups getting what they can until thinned by the locals. Depending upon the population of the surrounding area, there'll either be more armed locals or more rogues.

The further from Anchorage the better. 😉

If you can see Russia from your porch you'll be fine comrade. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.