Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"For less than 1/2 the cost of one F35 joint strike fighter we could protect and rebuild the grid when this kind of event occurs...or we could just ignore it, wait for it to happen, and stare at that boondoggle jet with starvation induced half closed, blood shot eyes and hallucinate as to what could have been."

SBTCO: Yes! We are the wealthiest country on earth. It would be so easy and cheap to protect the grid, and even the vehicles, at least the 18 wheelers that deliver food and gasoline. Why don't we take these protective measures.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wonder if those living on the coast in remote areas would be better off than those trying to make a go of it in rural areas.

If nobody was trying to kill you it might be a good situation to live off the bay/sound/ocean in a warm climate. I'm thinking the Florida Keys.

Fresh water is always the problem, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Why don't we take these protective measures.

Because the democrats would also want to add funding to the bill for beauty aids for disenfranchised transsexuals.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seriously though, in a catastrophic EMP that targeted the USA would not be just a local battle, in a weakened and crippled time Russia would make a play for Alaska. They've got a major boner for the complete control of the arctic and really wish they hadn't sold it so cheap. They're building giant ice breakers like crazy. It's how civilizations change, conquest. Canada can't help us because they'll be suffering the same fate. Borders won't matter for the few scattered survivors. China will takeover San Francisco and it won't be so gay and Mexico moves Norte

We'll be happy to give them Alaska or at least above the circle in trade for some borscht and condoms. 😬

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"For less than 1/2 the cost of one F35 joint strike fighter we could protect and rebuild the grid when this kind of event occurs...or we could just ignore it, wait for it to happen, and stare at that boondoggle jet with starvation induced half closed, blood shot eyes and hallucinate as to what could have been."

SBTCO: Yes! We are the wealthiest country on earth. It would be so easy and cheap to protect the grid, and even the vehicles, at least the 18 wheelers that deliver food and gasoline. Why don't we take these protective measures.

Yep. I got chewed out on here for taking trump to task for shooting $100 million in cruise missiles at that weasel faced dipsh!t in Syria who for all practical purposes is no threat to us here but...

How many transformers do you think $100 mil would pay for?

It's all about priorities. Real world threats vs. bankster induced "national interest" threats.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
transformers

Are they the fix? Is it really that simple? I don't know, just asking.

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Let's take a look at Atlanta. My brother is a big lawyer in Atlanta makes about $500K. Lives in suburbs in town, "inside the Perimeter."
His wife is a Hillary voter and dislikes guns. He has no guns. You have to be very discreet when talking about your preparations for this kind of stuff. One time I mentioned to my brother, the Bright Boy with all his college degrees, about the possibility of an EMP. He just brushed it off.
He has no idea of the preparations I have made.

My daughter in law is an exec for IBM, makes $180K a year, also lives in a $600K house inside the Perimeter. She dislikes guns and she and husband have no guns. Never bothered mentioning to her this subject.

These two families are prime examples of people who will be screwed after an EMP. In this case it would be heavily armed black gangs, would arrive at their doorstep. Let's see, how long does it take for a black gang to walk 10 miles?

So on Day 4 these 2 families would be slaughtered.

On the other hand, I have a buddy, Dennis. He is more into Survival stuff than I am. He lives about 6 miles north of the Perimeter, in Gwinett County. Hell, Dennis has more food, water, guns and ammo than I have!

So as the black gangs move north of the Perimeter they will encounter people like Dennis and they will get shot all to hell. Won't get more than 5 or 10 miles north of the Perimeter and they will all be destroyed.

At any rate life will be impossible, any where near a big city. And it will be brutal, and difficult, even way out in the countryside where I live.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Yeah, they don't want to lose their lights grin

[Linked Image]

Are you really that stupid? My guess is yes, if you think our counterstrike would be an EMP. It would make Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like a marshmallow roast in comparison.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My guess is yes, if you think our counterstrike would be an EMP.

Well then; you are a dumbass grin I'm thinking you've never seen a picture of N and S Korea at night.

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Yep. I got chewed out on here for taking trump to task for shooting $100 million in cruise missiles at that weasel faced dipsh!t in Syria who for all practical purposes is no threat to us here but...

It's all about priorities. Real world threats vs. bankster induced "national interest" threats.

DO you know how much it would cost to revamp the entire power grid ? We just had an idiot in office that spent 12 trillion dollars for absolutely nothing except giveaway programs.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My guess is yes, if you think our counterstrike would be an EMP.

Well then; you are a dumbass grin I'm thinking you've never seen a picture of N and S Korea at night.

I have seen that old picture many times. To think we would launch a EMP strike is assinine , the goal would be a total destruction of his regime and military might. One launch from a boomer would be his end.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read that it was impossible to protect the power system from EMP.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
To think we would launch a EMP strike is assinine ,

You are the only one who's saying we'd retaliate with an EMP. Look at the picture and you'll see no electrical infrastructure.

But please continue calling everyone stupid. grin

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
transformers

Yes.....because they change shape and become transformed.

Watch the movie, it explains everything. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Simple answers:

profit,

cost/benefit analysis,

head up the arse syndrome (head in the sand syndrome),

it won't happen to me syndrome; how many folks do you know in a take your pick (flood, earthquake, tornado, hurricane etc)disaster zone have even three days supply of food and water stashed?

Shall I continue? Until WE can find a way to hold the powers that be feet to the fire they will not change their ways. Infrastructure has been suffering for decades, I have little hope we're magically gonna address the issue starting today.

One does realize the grid operates in an early20th century manner in many places, except perhaps for some updated computer controls, right? What happens every time we have a major ice storm in the midwest/south? Or a windstorm in the Pacific Northwest? Blizzard /Noreaster? Would we be better served by having a bit more regulation in the power industry requiring ALL new service lines to be underground and each utility shows a 10 year plan to put all major distribution lines underground? Wanna hear the uproar from the utility companies? Major undertaking, but we are the good ol' USA, no?

What if this were to be done alongside repairing/replacing our freeway system and railroads, bury the things right next to the right of ways?

The EMP problem isn't the only one capable of wrecking the grid, it might produce the most immediate damage but not the only way to start things tumbling.

A short time ago a friend and I were near a power generating dam, high tension towers leading away in a couple of directions. You electrical type guys can tell me for sure, but I believe it's really bad if a couple of those towers go down at the same time, maybe on opposite sides of the dam, and those turbines in the dam get unloaded instantly. Seems like a soft point in the armor of our nation there.

But WE all know that, right, and yet our leaders do nothing about it.

Any bets on them getting some contributions from power companies or their lobbyists?

Good luck when it happens folks, I'm old and semi prepared and hope to get better prepared enough to last a few months at least when I retire.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/25/17. Reason: keyboard issues (read typist)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
transformers

Its a good start. The last time I read a report on this issue the big problem was the supply of replacement transformers both at the local level and regional substations. Things may have changed in the last few years(doubt it) but there was no surplus of transformers. They were purchased as they were needed and there was only one company that supplied them.

Damage to the more complicated electrical infrastructure would still a friggin' mess but at least the electric co.s could get power going again if there were enough transformers staged across the country that could be plugged back in. This would at least help with water treatment, pumping, sewage, possibly gas stations and truck fueling( food transport etc.). Otherwise we're SOL.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

DO you know how much it would cost to revamp the entire power grid ? We just had an idiot in office that spent 12 trillion dollars for absolutely nothing except giveaway programs.

Numbers I've read, less than $100 billion could protect the system from catastrophic failure and provide enough rebound to get back to some normalcy within a year or two.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
To think we would launch a EMP strike is assinine ,

You are the only one who's saying we'd retaliate with an EMP. Look at the picture and you'll see no electrical infrastructure.

But please continue calling everyone stupid. grin

Reading comprehension skills an issue here I guess. Where did I mention we would retaliate with an EMP? Their electrical infrastructure is buried and protected to protect their military chain of command, they could care less about their civilian population

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
transformers

Yes.....because they change shape and become transformed.

Watch the movie, it explains everything. 😉

It would look Uber too...but only if that Fox chick was on the repair truck.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Numbers I've read, less than $100 billion could protect the system from catastrophic failure and provide enough rebound to get back to some normalcy within a year or two.

100 billion does not even remotely sound right. Nuke plants would experience meltdowns if they didn't have enough juice to shutdown normally.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,125
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.