24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The "Belgian" 5.7 would be the FN 5.7 (local news reports are getting dumber by the day). My guess is that the gun (and ammo) are stolen.

UAH Police found seven spent Belgian 5.7 millimeter bullet casings

Multiple shots fired into UAH building over the weekend

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Seven shots were fired into the National Space Science and Technology building, over the weekend, according to UAH spokesman Ray Garner.

No one was hurt during the incident.

According to the NWS, there were National Weather Service employees in the building at the time of the incident, as they are staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but none of their employees heard gunfire.

Garner says UAH Police have identified this as a "random shooting."

UAH Police found seven spent Belgian 5.7 millimeter bullet casings along Sparkman Drive. Garner says three bullets pierced building windows, the other four were lodged into the side of the building.

The incident was reported after staff inside the NSSTC found broken windows Monday morning.

Garner says there is no campus surveillance video of the incident and he doesn't anticipate any further investigation into the matter.

A Chance for Change

Makinsie Gault, a Senior at UAH, is counting down the days until her graduation. She isn't comforted to know, investigators are counting bullet holes in the campus research facility.

“I think it would make just about anyone nervous," she says. “I really do wish there was more of a police presence because I don’t normally see them walking around campus.”

Gault says the incident is unnerving to her, but that this kind of activity, from time to time, is to be expected

“Growing pains I would say for the city. Being a smaller moderate size city growing so quickly, it’s safe to say things like that are going to happen," says Gault.

She says traversing campus would be a lot easier, knowing police officers were close by, and not just in patrol cars. She hopes administration will use this as an opportunity to enact change.

"I feel like it’s important that they consider that most people are going to be on foot and maybe they should have some officers that are on foot and on bicycles or on foot as well so they can stay in touch with students that are walking around day to day," she says.

It may not be the perfect system, but Gault says she'll finish out her remaining days without fear.

"Here, I feel like students are definitely a priority and I wouldn’t rather be anywhere else," she says.

From al.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, likely stolen - and fired until the magazine in it when taken was emptied, then tossed.

Mike

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It is a bottlenecked centerfire cartridge that is somewhat similar to the .22 Hornet in power....

FN's 5.7×28mm firearms—the P90 personal defense weapon and Five-seven pistol—are in service with military and police forces in over 40 nations throughout the world. In the United States, 5.7×28mm firearms are currently used by numerous law enforcement agencies, including the U.S. Secret Service

For home defense other than a shotgun its a very good cartridge....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
It is a bottlenecked centerfire cartridge that is somewhat similar to the .22 Hornet in power....

FN's 5.7×28mm firearms—the P90 personal defense weapon and Five-seven pistol—are in service with military and police forces in over 40 nations throughout the world. In the United States, 5.7×28mm firearms are currently used by numerous law enforcement agencies, including the U.S. Secret Service

It is the pistol used in the Fort Hood shooting by Major Nidal Hasan who killed so many people.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, I'm aware of the details and history behind the cartridge. That, and its relative rarity, is what makes it stand out in a drive by shooting.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would be very interested in how it worked and performed when chambered in something like a Brno ZKW465 rifle...a readily available small bottle neck case of 22 Hornet size would be interesting and simpler than sizing 30M1 down to 22 Spitfire.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
finicky to reload but great for pasture rats. my ar57 with 50 round mag will last all day. certainly not fun to reload but can be extremely accurate with the right loads.
guess i better check my safe and make sure its still there! smile

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's very accurate and does some damage to a head shot deer.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they'd get the weather forecast right once in a while...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
That gun does get some urban interest.

Enough in my burg, from the thugs.........I'd guess it not a rare deal in a drive by.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Expensive rig.
My guess is straw purchase or stolen.
Much cheaper to just run a Draco.
Glocks w 30 rounds mags seem to be a fave of the scum.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Proly some cute little white gal driving her mom's Buick bought it for her felon thug BF.

Used to be blatant= and shut down. But some have figured out how to avoid any look of the straw. Thankfully most are still idiots.

That rig not commonly stocked in the shops I've seen.
Bet any not stolen came through a legal transfer (but was a straw).

Last edited by hookeye; 04/25/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
finicky to reload but great for pasture rats. my ar57 with 50 round mag will last all day. certainly not fun to reload but can be extremely accurate with the right loads.
I understand the primer pockets expand easily. True?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BarryC

I've never had a problem with primer pockets....if you don't load HOT 3-5 reloads is the norm....

Several challenges loading 5.7x28....coating on brass you cannot tumble only wash in Simple Green....cannot anneal brass because of coating limiting number of reloads....limited to True Blue powder but is a top performer....1/10 of a grain can push pressure high...

Last edited by coyotewacker; 04/25/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC

I've never had a problem with primer pockets....if you don't load HOT 3-5 reloads is the norm....

Several challenges loading 5.7x28....coating on brass you cannot tumble only wash in Simple Green....cannot anneal brass because of coating limiting number of reloads....limited to True Blue powder but is a top performer....1/10 of a grain can push pressure high...

the problem i encounter is case stretch being a blowback bottle neck the shoulder tends to move forward as much as .200 inch.
i have cleaned and pin tumbled then recoated with spray lacquer . true blue is the powder of choice with explosive 35g bullets they ruin ground squirrels day.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
153 members (160user, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.