Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do a physically demanding job now and I've calculated that I need at least 1,500 extra calories/day to maintain weight. Any recipes for shakes/drinks that DO NOT include commercial preparations? I'm thinking of something like blending 2 cups of Kefir, 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 2 whole eggs, 1 tbsp of avocado oil and some vanilla.

Any luck incorporating healthy oils in something like this? Thoughts on the eggs? I tried to eat whole eggs in a milk shot one time and they came out looking exactly like they did going in.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beer.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bluebell Homemade Vanilla. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Bluebell Homemade Vanilla. smile
So far, raspberry chocolate chip is my favorite "recipe", but I want to avoid the sugar as much as possible. grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Your on the right track. I would add a good protein powder to what you listed and either a handful of almonds/cashews and blend it or dump some EVO in it. Two of those in addition to 3-4 meals would be good.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BarryC
I do a physically demanding job now and I've calculated that I need at least 1,500 extra calories/day to maintain weight. Any recipes for shakes/drinks that DO NOT include commercial preparations? I'm thinking of something like blending 2 cups of Kefir, 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 2 whole eggs, 1 tbsp of avocado oil and some vanilla.

Any luck incorporating healthy oils in something like this? Thoughts on the eggs? I tried to eat whole eggs in a milk shot one time and they came out looking exactly like it did going in.

Put another banana in, and a couple more eggs. Could do the same with yogurt (your choice greek vs reg) in place of the Kefir as an alternative. Looks like a nice mix to me.

Simple whole/vit D milk is quick and easy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My metabolism used to be really fast.

Working long shifts and doing lots of mountain climbing to survey section corners burned lots of calories.

I got protein chocolate drink powder from GNC and would make shakes with that, milk and peanut butter. So thick it nearly wouldn't pour. A blender full of that a day would do ya! smile

IIRC coorectly, one blender full was about 5k calories with protein.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Avoiding the sugar when not actually doing the work is a good idea.

I battled this during college when I worked at a lumber yard, and my father battled the same from his 20's to his 50's when working as a forester and putting in lots of miles on a daily basis. We both have always tried to lift weights and maintain or build muscle too. During the active part of the day, additional calories from bulk bag granola and nuts works pretty well and provides a handy energy source that's calorie-dense. For morning and night additions to "round out" the calorie replenishment, shakes have always been easiest and effective. Milk and nut butter, with various flavorings like cocoa powder, stevia, even instant coffee, tend to work well in conjunction with protein powder for more of a satiating fat/protein meal, as opposed to the carbs from the work period.

This has become my mainstay protein powder in recent years, due to the very limited amount of ingredients and bulk size. No flavorings, hence the usual addition of stevia, cocoa, or coffee, etc......

Unflavored 10lb Whey Isolate

If you select "Natural Unflavored" you can see the nutrition facts and ingredients. Even though I work an office job these days, I still have at least two "clean" protein shakes a day, in addition to 3 real meals.

Now with even more aplomb
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do y'all think about the oil? Enough?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wedding cake seems to work on women............

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Terryk
Wedding cake seems to work on women............

Just about anything works for women.

P.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bacon.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call Rosie O'Donnell at 1-800-veryfat.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you need the calories, try to get them from fat. If you bump your carbohydrates up, you may be inviting type-II diabetes.

Eggs, cheese, nuts, sausage all work for me.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive not kept very good track but whatever I've been eating seems to put the weight on

Great problem to have. Enjoy!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You need to eat more meals...5 or 6 full ones per day. Big sandwich between normal meals, and one more meal at bedtime. There is no magic bullet foodwise...the answer for what to eat, is more.

Drink chocolate milk with at least a couple of meals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pizza and beer seems to work well.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Eat a pint of gelato before bed every night.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Carbs have gotten a bad rap. Carbs aren't the devil. They are the most efficient source of energy and the most efficient way to replace expended energy. If you're exercising hard the easiest way to not loose weight from it and restore what you've burned is to eat carbs (not at the exclusion of protein and fats).

Now, since they are so "efficient" they are also a very quick way to put on extra fat, especially if you're not active....and if you over do it with them you can have insulin spikes, etc. Pros/cons, but carbs are hard to beat for energy and quick recovery.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think about calories much, but the app I use to keep track of swim/bike/run and other activities tell me I've burned over 1,000,000 calories exercising over the last few years. My weight has been stable, I don't go out of my way to pound calories, and I really doubt I would have gained the supposedly 285 lbs. represented by all those calories had I spent the time sitting on my butt.

If a person is in decent health the body finds a way. I would eat nutritious and quality food and see what happens over the next few months. There's a good chance your body will adjust and your weight will stabilize on its own.

If you've lost several pounds over the last month due to the job, that might not be a bad thing - it all depends on the type of weight you lost. If you lost muscle mass due to exercise some oatmeal and kefir probably isn't the ticket.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 22 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,110
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.