Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
This has happened numerous times to me. Call in a group of gobblers, they get to the top of the rise in the field 75 yds away, see my set up, gobble like there's no tomorrow (on Saturday went for half an hour), then just turn around and strut away. mad

Did the same early Sunday morning, except as they were moving away a jake with them decided to investigate, as they always do. Came in with a baby gobble and nearly no beard at all, but he'll be good eatin'.

Q: How do I get them d*mn gobblers to keep coming in...???!!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sse; 04/26/17.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Which way is your hen decoy facing? I put mine looking to the side and slightly towards me.

Are you using a mouth call? Some soft hen sounds might work once they spot your decoys.

Also, in my area (North Texas) the turkeys are hard to call in during the middle of April. They're easier to hunt at the beginning and end of the month.

Good job, you got a turkey!! There's always the 'next round' to try and get that elusive big tom.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 04/26/17.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
This time I think the hen decoy was broadside to both me and the gobblers. I had a jake to go along with that one.

It was early, so I was still using slate for both quiet purrs and clucks, as well as brief yelping. The gobblers seemed impressed as they were gobbling pretty good as they walked away. I don't do mouth calls.

In my neck of the woods, earlier the better, and I did pull the early hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
The gobblers seemed impressed as they were gobbling pretty good as they walked away.

I've had that exact same result when I went west a few counties and hunted Rio Grandes.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try the fighting purr. (You won't need dekes.) And get ready.

Steve.
Maker of the Northern Scratchbox turkey call

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Try the fighting purr. (You won't need dekes.) And get ready.

Steve.
Maker of the Northern Scratchbox turkey call

I'll have to figure out how to do this...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
#1 rule- don't overcall

those toms probably saw a live hen.
if they do, nothing you can do will
turn them away from that.
better luck next time, and at least
you got one

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Learning to sit while peeing your pants and NOT CALLING... now that is the hard lesson to learn.

Call... get answer, call again to confirm your date, next sound he should hear is BOOM!

When I violate this rule my chance of going BOOM! goes way down.

Like Ron White says so eloquently "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know how she did it. This is my baby sister with her first gobbler. And she did it on her own 1 week ago. Liberty, Ut on some of her land.

If I remember, 10" beard. Not bad for her first time.

Used a Benelli Performance Shop SBE II Turkey Edition 12g 3.5" mag to get the job done.

I think she said it was approx 40 yards away.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Owl
Don't know how she did it. This is my baby sister with her first gobbler. And she did it on her own 1 week ago. Liberty, Ut on some of her land.

If I remember, 10" beard. Not bad for her first time.

Used a Benelli Performance Shop SBE II Turkey Edition 12g 3.5" mag to get the job done.

I think she said it was approx 40 yards away.

[Linked Image]

Wow...doesn't get any better.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a turkey fan, either a real one or a manmade one, and use that to hide yourself, and slip up on them. It works, I've seen it in action. As far as calling goes, once they start coming, I judge their 'temperature". If he seems hot, I will keep him excited with some calling. If he seems a little hesitant, I'll softly cluck or even be quiet. The hard part is learning to judge a turkey's behavior, as each one will be different.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by llamalover2
Learning to sit while peeing your pants and NOT CALLING... now that is the hard lesson to learn.

Call... get answer, call again to confirm your date, next sound he should hear is BOOM!

When I violate this rule my chance of going BOOM! goes way down.

Like Ron White says so eloquently "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

If they would'a started coming in I would'a stopped calling...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a turkey fan, either a real one or a manmade one, and use that to hide yourself, and slip up on them. It works, I've seen it in action. As far as calling goes, once they start coming, I judge their 'temperature". If he seems hot, I will keep him excited with some calling. If he seems a little hesitant, I'll softly cluck or even be quiet. The hard part is learning to judge a turkey's behavior, as each one will be different.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Take a turkey fan, either a real one or a manmade one, and use that to hide yourself, and slip up on them. It works, I've seen it in action.

First time I've heard of that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

A long way with a clear line of sight to the hen and with no movement toward them doesnt lend any desire or urgency to hunt her down as if you were in the woods squeakin away is my guess.

I always try turkey small talk....whines, and quiet purrs, and puts....it says Im cool, its cool and safe over here too. A single easy yelp thrown in afterward. Feeding type talk.

Good advice not to overcall with the yelp, but I find the more small talk I do, the curiouser they get.

Last edited by WillARights; 04/26/17.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sse
Take a turkey fan, either a real one or a manmade one, and use that to hide yourself, and slip up on them. It works, I've seen it in action.

First time I've heard of that.

sorry, but no way i'd ever tempt fate to do that. there's just
too many pinhead nitwits out and about that make "soundshots"
and will shoot at the first thing they see moving, deer, turkey
or otherwise. i've been on public land hog hunting wearing the
required orange and we had a turkey hunter (orange not required)
draw down on us because he thought we "sounded like some turkeys
moving through the woods". i can't be sure these days that someone
would summon help if they shot me, or try to leave the scene and
conceal the fact that they shot someone accidentally. that said,
i've used decoys, but never put one close to me where someone
might mistakenly shoot at it and hit me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Not on public land and not in States that allow rifles to be used.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by stantdm
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Not on public land and not in States that allow rifles to be used.

i wouldn't do it on my own land or any private or public land,
rifle or shotgun hunting either one.
people trespass everywhere these days, and many take a shot
with little discretion at all or no regard for a safe backstop

Last edited by Ranger99; 04/26/17.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
They do sell gobble calls, but for these reasons I don't have an interest in adding the use to my bag of tricks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
don't use a decoy...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.