[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by llamalover2
Learning to sit while peeing your pants and NOT CALLING... now that is the hard lesson to learn.

Call... get answer, call again to confirm your date, next sound he should hear is BOOM!

When I violate this rule my chance of going BOOM! goes way down.

Like Ron White says so eloquently "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

If they would'a started coming in I would'a stopped calling...

In your original post you said you called them in to 75 yards away... They hung up, they didn't "not come in".

They came in, 15 more yards and I'm hammering the biggest if they stop again. Your situation is the same as when honkers circle 20 yards outside the outer decoy, looking things over. Only with turkeys they are stationary and have even better eyes than the honks (if that is possible)

If pre-rut they may have showed more interest in a gobble call/with jake decoy. Or they may have had any of a 100 other distractions/suspicions. I have had bachelor groups see a hen decoy and deflate and run like hell even when I hadn't called a lick (early season) It's like they had already been married!

They may have seen something they didn't like or just seen something over yonder they liked better.

You ever get it all figured out you be sure to let me know eh? it is an awesome show of a magnificent bird!

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
They hung up alright. Generally, the bird needs to be 25 yds or closer, I don't have a turkey gun, but rather a beater Ithaca Model 37 with a full choke.

I have more success turkey hunting than deer hunting, but that is another story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sse
Take a turkey fan, either a real one or a manmade one, and use that to hide yourself, and slip up on them. It works, I've seen it in action.

First time I've heard of that.

Two guys in Kansas got shot doing that recently. It's not legal in every state.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Gobbling is to tell hens where toms are so they come to them, not vice versa. So if the hen can see them they want her and expect her to come to them. Sometimes they deviate from this, and others they don't.

. I have used the "reaping" twice which is sneaking up to them with a decoy. Killed both birds. Yea it was fun but in no way challenging. Many people say how unsafe and what not but on private land that you are familiar with I don't see that much danger in it honestly. Public land would be seriously stupid. I just chose to hunt them differently. Not criticizing

I would ditch the decoys if hunting in woods or on a wood line that you can back up in the woods a little further. Make them search for you. Try a strutted decoy if you must use them. Maybe a jerk line. ( I rarely if ever use decoys)
Fighting purrs can bring in aLive hen if she is mad, but I have also scared them off that way too. Can you get on the same wood line as they are roosted and call them laterally and not across the whole field?

More cutting and less yelping if the birds are unpressured can cause them to get in your face a little more aggressively . If pressured avoid this as it can cause the opposite. One thing I do that seems to calm skittish birds and brings them that final distance is kee kee run mixed into yelping as well as a few feeding squeals. Less is more for the most part when calling

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When you use a decoy (which I do half the time) try setting her up behind your position so if she is seen, they don't get a fix on you. Try to soften your call as soon as you can get them about 50 yds out of range. Purrs and yelps. no putts. By the middle of the season, don't even think about using a gobbler decoy. The boys will split if they see one since they have had their butts handed to them a few times by then. When things get tough, I don't use a decoy at all and more times than not, a rangy old tom will come in silently while you limit your yelps to about 2 minute intervals. If you get a distant answer to your call, just be super patient because more times than not, one is on the way.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by stantdm
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Take a turkey fan, either a real one or a manmade one, and use that to hide yourself, and slip up on them. It works, I've seen it in action. As far as calling goes, once they start coming, I judge their 'temperature". If he seems hot, I will keep him excited with some calling. If he seems a little hesitant, I'll softly cluck or even be quiet. The hard part is learning to judge a turkey's behavior, as each one will be different.

Not on public land and not in States that allow rifles to be used.

i wouldn't do it on my own land or any private or public land,
rifle or shotgun hunting either one.
people trespass everywhere these days, and many take a shot
with little discretion at all or no regard for a safe backstop

I agree that safety should be your first concern. But, it's pretty much works most of the time, or at least those who do lot say it will. I know of at least 5 birds that have been killed this year, using that method. I have a turkey tail fan that I sometimes carry, but I rarely use it. I hunt private land, my own mostly, and would have no qualms about using a fan. On the land that I hunt, trespassers are no problem, so that's the least of my worry. However, I'll agree that one needs to be careful and know what they're doing. It's like using a gobble call....I do it on my own land, but I wouldn't if I were hunting somewhere I wasn't familiar with.

Last edited by JamesJr; 04/26/17.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The natural order is, the hens come to the toms. Set up closer to the crest of the hill, if possible. Their eyesight is just too good to fool them when they have a clear, unobstructed view.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of good comments here.

As far as the fan method, I do remember seeing a brief video once in which a guy hiding behind a fan stood up and shot a turkey point blank. I'll pass.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
First off in nature the hens go to the gobblers. So when you first hear him, close the distance as much as you can. Second, don't over call. I know it's hard not to when he's gobbling every breath but trust me it's better to keep you mouth shut and be patient. If you do any calling at all, try turning your head and try soft calling in the direction behind you. Makes it sounds like the hen is further away. If you're in the woods and know for a fact he's not looking try raking the leaves with your hand and use some soft purrs and clucks. Makes it sound like a hen feeding.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.