-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some of you may remember that last Dec. we put out some pecan, chestnut, black walnut, and saw-tooth oak trees on our place in north central La.

We've had plenty of rain, so I haven't had to go over there in a while. Took a trip over last weekend and things are really looking good.

I bush-hogged the new orchard, but because of the stumps and lots of limbs, I can't cut it too close.

Looking north west...

[Linked Image]

Looking north east...

[Linked Image]

One of the chestnut trees, but all 8 are doing good...

[Linked Image]

All the pecan trees are doing good, too...

[Linked Image]

We set out about 30 black walnut trees, that I had grown. All, but 5 of them are growing leaves from the stem. The other 5 are putting up from the roots and look like they will make it...

[Linked Image]

Of the 50 saw-tooth oaks we set out, it looks like about 40 made it...

[Linked Image]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While we were there, we looked the other things over...

Picked dew berries for my sister...

[Linked Image]

Our wild mayhaw trees didn't make where I live, but the trees at this place did. We got 6 trees here...

[Linked Image]

Mayhaws on the tree...

[Linked Image]

Mayhaws on the ground...

[Linked Image]

Our mulberry tree is loaded this year...

[Linked Image]

And, so is the blue berry bushes...

[Linked Image]

If we can keep the critters out, looks like this will be a good year for the fruit trees.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Looking good Randy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looking good!

What does one do with mayhaws?

Forgive my ignorance... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way cool, but to a fellow who has never lived "down south", (unless near the border in SoCal counts grin ) seeing berries ready to be picked in April and the mayhaws is bit of a shock to me. Our berries are just starting to send out new leaves/shoots, our mulberries are just flowering, and it seems to me all our wild fruit trees (choke cherries, pears, apples) have only been in full bloom for a week or two.

Harvestable fruit in April makes me jealous!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Geno

PS, your other trees, walnut, oak etc are for attracting game animals and birds?

PPS, I did live in a warm place in the desert once and had a "3 winter" serrano pepper plant that ended up with a main stem about as big around as my wrist. With care I bet I could get one of those mayhaws to live there, but I live way further north now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rbb,

I'm ignorant too, I had to look them up. smile

Geno

PS, they sound special according to what I found.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Looking good!

Homemade jelly! IMO, the best there is. Way better than any store bought stuff.

PS, your other trees, walnut, oak etc are for attracting game animals and birds?

We planted the chestnuts and pecans for the nuts... hope I live long enough to see them.

The black walnuts for the timber... someone someday will appreciate it, I hope.

The sawtooth oaks for the wildlife and I've read that deer love chestnuts. We'll see.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Looking good!

Homemade jelly! IMO, the best there is. Way better than any store bought stuff.

We planted the chestnuts and pecans for the nuts... hope I live long enough to see them.

The black walnuts for the timber... someone someday will appreciate it, I hope.

The sawtooth oaks for the wildlife and I've read that deer love chestnuts. We'll see.

That's what the info on the www said when I looked them up, apparently nothing like it in the world.

Not sure about your black walnuts there, but I think squirrels will take advantage of them. And once grown someone will enjoy the timber value of them.

Thanks for the reply,

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of chestnuts?

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
What kind of chestnuts?

Steve, I ordered Dunstan Chestnuts. They are suppose to be the only chestnut that is blight proof. It is a hybrid, but suppose to have a lot bigger chestnuts than the others, like the old pure American chestnuts had.

According to what I read, this Dunstan fellow found one live chestnut tree in a forest of blight killed trees, back in the early '50's, IIRC. He realized what he had found and that's what got it started.

You can google Dunstan chestnuts and find the story.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm familiar. There's a lot going on with American Chestnuts. Back breeding in Chinese resistance, pure American resistance, GMO resistance.

I think in a hundred years our great-grand kids will start to see the beginnings of chestnut forests coming back.

Up around here we can grow American Chestnuts without worry of blight because the Summers are too dry for the fungus. We used to pick them when I was a kid at a place my step-father owned that had a couple large trees.

Biggest existing American Chestnuts in the world are about 10 miles from my house.

Good luck with them!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Randy, have you eaten a Chestnut, and if so, How do they compare with a pecan? I love pecans, just to eat and in a pie. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Biggest existing American Chestnuts in the world are about 10 miles from my house.

Steve,
Well boil my britches, had I known that when the wife lived in Sherwood I would have gone to see them. (and pick up a few to plant?)

Where are they located, Park? Arboretum? Along a residential street?

I might have to stop by for a look if I'm ever unlucky enough to have to go to Potlandia again. (Actually, I wouldn't mind going back there to see my friends who were our landlords)

Hope the "new" place is working out to your satisfaction, that your bees make lots of honey for you too.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton

Randy, have you eaten a Chestnut, and if so, How do they compare with a pecan? I love pecans, just to eat and in a pie. miles

No Miles, I've never eaten one. We chose chestnuts because there aren't any in our part of the country and I read somewhere that deer loved them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Steve,
Well boil my britches, had I known that when the wife lived in Sherwood I would have gone to see them. (and pick up a few to plant?)

Where are they located, Park? Arboretum? Along a residential street?

I might have to stop by for a look if I'm ever unlucky enough to have to go to Potlandia again. (Actually, I wouldn't mind going back there to see my friends who were our landlords)

Hope the "new" place is working out to your satisfaction, that your bees make lots of honey for you too.

Geno

Along Edy Road at Hawks View Vineyard. The wife is going to be in San Diego this weekend so I'll see if I can drive by and take a picture. Planted in 1885 according to the American Chestnut Foundation.

This endless winter is getting to the bees. But I think we've rounded the corner. Supposed to be 70 next week and I read a long term forecast that mentioned 80.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wouldn't you know it, I bet I drove by them a hundred times if they're on Edy. I came down that way from up near Leander lots of times!

Next time I visit my buddy, when he retires and returns to the area, I'll look into those things.

Geno

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.