Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
This might be of more interest to Canadians, but the story is interesting enough to post.

For years I've wanted a No. 1 in 30-30, but as most of you know, they aren't easy to find. Even harder in Canada.

Last week, in a moment of weakness, I ordered a G2 Contender through an importer (no No. 1s available). $456 US. Contenders are not popular in Canada because of the importation problems that resulted after 9/11.

So far, the company that I ordered from has been very attentive and have kept me informed on the progress of the shipment. They do all the paperwork. You just supply your information. For Canadians, that's your PAL (Possession/Acquisition License No.) and mailing info.

They ship once a month to Canada, so it won't be leaving to come up until the middle of next month.

I will post the company's name should everything go smoothly.

I asked about a 30-30 barrel. They are restocking and told me that they should be available next month. With a little luck, both will be shipped together.

I have a box of various pointed 308 bullets that originally were destined for an H&R SS, but for whatever reason, was a piece of [bleep].

The older I get, the more difficult it is getting to make a simple purchase - a box of bullets or a rifle. The bottom line is, I won't be shooting it until late June or even July. Silly.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Clearly you should have done more research before deciding where to be born.

The G2 .30/30 is a neat idea, one I've considered off and on over the years. The last test I read said the triggers are running a little heavy now, so you might want to look around for someone to tweak it if that proves to be the case. The two I had a while back, both handguns I bought used, were fine, but that was pre-S&W.

Keep us posted.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an original 1st Gen Contender to which I fitted a 23" carbine barrel, and found a Bishop thumbhole stock for it.

[Linked Image]

It's quite accurate, though stiff to open. At some point I need to give it to someone who knows how to fit locking lugs, and get it to where it opens more easily. I really should refinish the stocks too, so they match.

The Bishop thumbholes are long out of production, but work very well, IMO. I like them more than any of TC's carbine stocks.

One of these days I may take one of the current Miroku Low Walls, and have it rebarreled to .30-30. Think that would be just about perfect for that round, maybe even a bit nicer than a Ruger #1 smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Clearly you should have done more research before deciding where to be born.

The G2 .30/30 is a neat idea, one I've considered off and on over the years. The last test I read said the triggers are running a little heavy now, so you might want to look around for someone to tweak it if that proves to be the case. The two I had a while back, both handguns I bought used, were fine, but that was pre-S&W.

Keep us posted.

laugh

I have a couple of Nikon scopes sitting here. I'll pick one. Probably the 2-7. Hoping the transaction goes smoothly.

Unless I get lucky, I'll have to be content with the Contender. I sure hope it shoots 2 in @ 100yd without fiddling too much.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet it will easily beat 2" at 100 smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anything less than that is gravy. That's all I ever hope for, except for some of my specialty rifles. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a 10" TC in college. Routinely shot 1.5" for 3 shots at 100 yds

I have a group I fired at 50 yds using factory 150 CL. The group is literally one SMALL hole. A cloverleaf IIRC < .2. C-t-C using a 2x EER

They will amaze you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have an original 1st Gen Contender to which I fitted a 23" carbine barrel, and found a Bishop thumbhole stock for it.

[Linked Image]

It's quite accurate, though stiff to open. At some point I need to give it to someone who knows how to fit locking lugs, and get it to where it opens more easily. I really should refinish the stocks too, so they match.

The Bishop thumbholes are long out of production, but work very well, IMO. I like them more than any of TC's carbine stocks.

One of these days I may take one of the current Miroku Low Walls, and have it rebarreled to .30-30. Think that would be just about perfect for that round, maybe even a bit nicer than a Ruger #1 smile

Sounds to me like your needing an "Easy Open" mod done on that old piece. Bullberry is your friend.

Have a variety of barrels for the Contender, all rifle length pipes. First was a 22" .30-30 and it shoots so well it's boring. Pretty much doesn't care what bullet I put in it, they run fine.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Sounds to me like your needing an "Easy Open" mod done on that old piece. Bullberry is your friend.

Have a variety of barrels for the Contender, all rifle length pipes. First was a 22" .30-30 and it shoots so well it's boring. Pretty much doesn't care what bullet I put in it, they run fine.

Thanks, yeah, T/C used to offer the Easy Open Mod as well in their custom shop, but S&W torpedoed that deal frown

I should see what other sort of interesting cartridge BB could make for a Contender smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smilin' here....they built the .30 Sneezer....

I don't have any target pics handy for the .30-30 but it is a sub MOA shooter. My other barrel has a .22 short match chamber. Target below followed a serious barrel cleaning in numerical sequence using the red dot sight. CCI CB shorts zeroed for pigs. It runs 1/2" for 5 at 50 yards with the CB's and CCI HVHP shorts. That barrel has slain over 100 wild hogs.

[Linked Image]

The Sneezer at 50 yards with a red dot sight;

[Linked Image]

And these bullets; 30:1 183 grains.

[Linked Image]

I'm considering the purchase of a .25-20 Win barrel just for chitts'n grins. I suspect I might wind up with a Hornet barrel at some point as well.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It would be nice to get a 22Hornet barrel. It's a favourite of mine. Here in rural Onterrible, tis the bees knees for a sorts of critters around the place.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Had a 12" Hornet barrel. Loud little bugger. My son, who tested all kinds of used guns by shooting into a snail, still talks about the noise that thing made. Only one worse was a braked .350 RM that blew the rubber gasket off the snail. Plugs and muffs required!

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/28/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Have you ever tried a 10 inch .221 Fireball? Huge fireball and lots of noise.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know about the rest, but I have a couple of 222 Rems. Never saw a need for a .221. Mind you, I might have better luck with that cartridge than I did with my Hornets.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Contender in the AA plated version in .30-30, with a 14' barrel and really nice wood. Never really warmed up to it in that caliber. After discussions with Mike Bellm, he has it in his shop now to re-chamber it to .30-30 AI, says he's sure I'll like it better.

Mike

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
My favourite cartridges are rimmed and they need nice lines when I'm looking at them in silhouette. The 30-30 has those lines. I hope you enjoy your improved 30-30.

No matter which cartridge is used, we need to have confidence that it will work for us. For me, some of that confidence is visual. The cartridge must be appealing to my eye. The Contender itself is an attractive piece as well. If it wasn't so cost prohibitive, I would own more No.1s, and chamber them in any calibres that appealed to me. I am hopeful that the Contender will scratch that itch.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
A small update. I couldn't find a mount or rail in Canada for the Contender, so I asked Jerry Teo of Mystic Precision to order one in for me. The Canadians might know him. He serves competition shooters and that's where I have got a couple of my rifle barrels and other hardware. I have three new scopes on the shelf here, but only one 2-7. So that's what I'll be using. It's a Burris Fullfield 2-7x35 and Warne rings.

Silly as it sounds, the only thing left to get is the barrel! laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Might want to call him back and have him order a couple more. Very few Contender jockeys are happy with just one barrel.😁

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/13/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I already have a list. smile

I have to clear out some project and test rifles and free up a couple thou to complete this purchase and some other things. I need lead and gas checks for a few cals. I also have to finish with my 30-303.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I managed to find an importer for MGM barrels up here. I have ordered the 30-30 barrel.

It's a shocker when you pay in Canuckian dinars for goods out of the US. With shipping, import fees and taxes, the order comes to $775 CDN. Divide that by 1.4 (exchange) and you get $553 USD. So, a quick tally goes something like this: All figures in CDN Dinars (Alms! Alms! I'll break your Alms!)

action $650
barrel $775
scope $225
base and rings $100

Total - $1750 (I coulda bought a No 1 grin )

But going forward, it will be cheaper. The import fees and the weak dinar make it 'spensive. The importer tells me about three months before I have it in my hands. August, I guess.

So, everything is complete. I just have to wait now.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 86 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.