Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Seeing as how a scope could hardly have been mounted and iron sights seem non existent, either the "Whacker" had supernatural powers of sending the bullet exactly where you wanted it to go, or that bore is nearly pristine. I'm betting on the latter. Cerrosafe is your best friend here. If you can figure out what in the hell the "Whacker" is, you can get dies made and load for it, or possibly set the barrel back a turn and re-chamber to something SOMEBODY has at least heard of.

Although looking at it again, I see setting it back a turn is going to mess with some really nicely done inletting around the chamber area . . . .

Maybe it will turn out the "Whacker" is the stroke of genius we have all been waiting for. Wait . . . Whacker? . . . . somebody call Ted Nugent!

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/25/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gundoc..it's my understanding Stith made mounts for these that only utilized the front action holes. I also agree a good stock man could tone down the cheekpiece a bit while leaving the rest in tact. I just might end up shootin some cerrosafe down to see what gives

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Seeing as how a scope could hardly have been mounted and iron sights seem non existent, either the "Whacker" had supernatural powers of sending the bullet exactly where you wanted it to go, or that bore is nearly pristine. I'm betting on the latter. Cerrosafe is your best friend here. If you can figure out what in the hell the "Whacker" is, you can get dies made and load for it, or possibly set the barrel back a turn and re-chamber to something SOMEBODY has at least heard of.

Although looking at it again, I seen setting it back a turn is going to mess with some really nicely done inletting around the chamber area . . . .

Maybe it will turn out the "Whacker" is the stroke of genuis we have all be waiting for. Wait . . . Whacker? . . . . somebody call Ted Nugent!

It's Wacker!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If I am not mistaken the Stith used the front bridge and the rear sight slot for their mounts.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have a chamber cast made,then compare to known wildcats.

I'd leave the stock alone,it has "panache."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by pal

Although looking at it again, I seen setting it back a turn is going to mess with some really nicely done inletting around the chamber area . . . .

Maybe it will turn out the "Whacker" is the stroke of genuis we have all be waiting for. Wait . . . Whacker? . . . . somebody call Ted Nugent!

It's Wacker!

Actually, it's WACKER IMP, grin but you're right, it isn't "Whacker." Do you think it is someone's name, as opposed to something used to "whack" something?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's a Magnum bolt face, that's for sure. Definitively an intriguing rifle.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There is a Reed Wacker 501 Wildcat load data listed on the net that I saw earlier. To hard to chase down for me.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Since the barrel is an Apex, chances are the stock was done by them, as well. Stockmaker Monty Kennedy worked for Apex at one time; the stock is definitely in the Kennedy style, but I doubt that he did this one.

Have you pulled the barreled action? The stockmaker's name might be stamped in the inletting.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 04/25/17.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Prime Beef,

Just curious, if Kennedy worked for Apex and the stock is in the Kennedy style, why do you doubt he made the stock?

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
PB..thanks for that info. I will pull the action after work today and see what's there if anything

She's gone shootin..
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Prime Beef,

Just curious, if Kennedy worked for Apex and the stock is in the Kennedy style, why do you doubt he made the stock?

The original Apex Rifle Company was around for a long time, but Monty Kennedy only worked for them for a few years when they first started. The Kennedy stock style was a fairly popular one 40-50 years ago, and there were several outfits that sold pre-inletted blanks in that style, so it could be anybody's work.

It's a nice rifle, and the stock is a beautiful piece of wood, but to be perfectly candid, the level of detail (inletting, checkering, etc.) does not appear to be commensurate with the Kennedy stocks I've personally handled, or seen in pictures.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Prime.. I appreciate your honest insight on the topic. Feel free to chip in whatever you'd like..
I pulled the action and find no obvious initials or marks other than "264" in the barrel channel.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Here's a pic of the fore end and checkering that carries out
[Linked Image]

She's gone shootin..
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another question. Does the bolt have the Serial Number Vibro etched on it?

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Another question. Does the bolt have the Serial Number Vibro etched on it?

Yes sir it has the matching # etched

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Did some looking into the Apex barrel last night. I honestly don't believe it's had a round through it..soaked it with wipe-out and let it sit a while and this is how the patches came out. [Linked Image]
Checked with a cleaning rod and the twist is somewhere between 8 and 9 erring closer to 8 after a few follow ups.
Read a little about Apex and it seems at one point they might have used gain twist rifling in some of their barrels but this one appears to be constant.
Still not sure about the wacker chambering but was able to fully chamber and eject a piece of .264wm brass

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a winner. Looks like a very nice rifle.

That is a ridiculously clean barrel... if it was shot it probably wasn't much.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Did some looking into the Apex barrel last night. I honestly don't believe it's had a round through it..soaked it with wipe-out and let it sit a while and this is how the patches came out. [Linked Image]
Checked with a cleaning rod and the twist is somewhere between 8 and 9 erring closer to 8 after a few follow ups.
Read a little about Apex and it seems at one point they might have used gain twist rifling in some of their barrels but this one appears to be constant.
Still not sure about the wacker chambering but was able to fully chamber and eject a piece of .264wm brass

I wouldn't expect it to have too many rounds through it either. No way to appropriately attach a scope and no iron sights... Good hip shooter though... laugh

My best advice:
1. Drill and tap that sob: It's not a collectors piece. 2. Cerrosafe the chamber, so you know what you are dealing with.
3. Don't just go and load a 264w cartridge in it and fire away. 4. If you can stand the stock configuration, keep it the way it is. It's not what I'd consider a good hunting style stock. More for shooting off the bench, if even that.... It really looks like an unfinished project to me, you can make it better. Trust me... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.