Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been going back over the thread regarding the new progressive reloader. I found this quote:

Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Stick with Sellier & Bellot or Remington primers. All the rest are either not all shaped correctly/the same or are too sensitive leading to a primer detonation under the shell or in the wheel if one gets bound up and forced.

I'm just wondering if y'all have any similar experiences. Loading pistol ammo on a single stage and hand priming with an RCBS primer I've never experienced any troubles. About 99% of all my loading has been with CCI primers for the main reason that it is the one brand that I can consistently buy locally.

My first loads with my new Hornady LNL AP will be with 9mm. The prototype loads I've been work with have all used CCI Small Pistol. What do y'all think?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only use CCI, in single or progressive (Dillon)

All American

All the time
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Dillon 450, two 550s and used to have a 650 and a 1000B when I was commercial reloading and a friend used to have his Hornady here. The only primer that ever gave me problems were those from CCI when used in the 450 and 1000. And that was back in the 1980s.

Just loaded up a bunch of ammo with CCI primers in the 550s and have had no issues.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can feel the primers seat on the Hornady, there should be no problem. I have used mostly CCI prior to the great purge, but used what ever could be found the last few years without difficulty.

On the forward stroke for primer seating, just use a little gentle pressure instead of jamming it forward. On the progressive, there can be a small amount of play in the timing.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used CCI, Remington, Winchester and Federal through my 550 over the years without a single issue.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I've used CCI, Remington, Winchester and Federal through my 550 over the years without a single issue.

There ya go.

Over the years I've watched a few guys run a progressive that had me looking for eye and ear protection, but using just a little touch on the primer stroke will avoid any problems. It's not any different than using a Rock Chucker to seat primers.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RyanTX

I haven't kept an exact count, but when I think about how many rounds a year I generally load and the number of years I've had the Dillon, I'd guess conservatively that I've loaded 60k-70k rounds through my Dillon.

Not once has a primer been an issue.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Tens of thousands of round through my 550 using Winchester, CCI, Federal and Remington. Never had a problem.
I had some S&B brass with tight pockets that likely would have caused a primer to go off if forced. The Dillon 600 swage tool fixed 'em up.

A friend had an ignition in his 550 when he didn't notice a small primer pocket 45ACP case.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a Large Pistol Federal primer explode when I seated it in a 10mm case. It started a chain reaction and every primer in primer wheel detonated as did the 89 primers inside the primer magazine and the Primer Shield. That Primer Shield worked as intended. The Primer pick up tube/magazine was so much twisted, burst metal. I've been seating strictly Federal GMM Magnum primers in my rifle loads for 20 years. Never had a problem. But I'm using a K&M tool with the dial indicator so I can seat precisely 0.05 below flush. When I called Dillon and told them what happened they weren't surprised.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I first started using a progressive press, I purchased a primer blast shield for something like $4. I figured cheap insurance.

Sure enough, as I was learning all the ins and outs of successfully using the press, I had the whole tray of primers blow. They may have been Winchester but I don't blame the primers I blame my inexperience with the progressive.

That shield was bent out of shape and peppered good. I immediately bought a new one.

No explosions since.

I usually use Winchester or CCI pistol primers and plan on staying with CCI after the others are used up. Not for the explosion, but for a few dead primers here and there.

Dan

Dan

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 50 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.