Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have recently become fascinated with double barrel shotguns. I purchased (2) Browning BSS 20's. Now I have become infatuated with Parker Reproduction. I'm really wanting a Parker Repro DHE 20 with English stock and double triggers. Anyone here have any knowledge, opinion or experience with these? Any and all info welcomed! Thanks

Last edited by pharmvet; 04/23/17.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have had a couple. A 20 ga with a straight stock and a 20/16 two barrel set with pistol grip. Not a fan of straight stocks, so it eventuality was sold.

Have hunted the other hard for Grouse, Pheasants, and Quail. Parts are supposedly interchangeable with original Parkers. They were made in Japan by the same company that made the Winchester 101 and I can find no fault with it after many years of use. The 20 is on the smaller frame size and they balance and carry easy. 26 in barrels tend to be whippy and I would prefer 28 inches. If one showed itself, doubt I would pass it up.

Their LOP tends to be a little short for longer armed individuals. However, there are some out there with longer LOP that were personal guns of-correction-Tom Skeuse who was the owner of Parker Reproducions. They mostly are stunning examples with upgraded wood. He also owns White Flyer clay targets.

Addition: Something to consider.Since they don't make them any longer, stocks become an issue if perchance one breaks. Most times a good stock man can put one back together and you wouldn't know it was broken. However, if that is not the case, then you are into having one made. Parts if ever needed, firing pin for example, are going to have to come from old Parker stock, which are not all that readily available or again made by a Smith/Machinest that knows how.

Addition: Have owned and used both original Parkers and the Repo's and most recently handled an original 20Ga. While exact duplicates, something intrinsic is missing from the Repro's. If you are serious about getting into SxS, then consider holding out for the right original. I doubt if you would regret it.

Last edited by battue; 04/25/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Battue, thank you for taking time to reply so thoroughly. I will take your advice on an original to heart. What is your opinion of a Fox Sterlingworth compared to a Parker?

Last edited by pharmvet; 04/26/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Parker Reproduction 20GA. 2 bbl set. 26" and 28". It's a fantastic gun. Finding a DT gun might proove more difficult particularly in a sub 12 bore. I too prefer the swing of the 28" bbls on that gun. I also have an original Parker 16ga. VH O-frame with 24" bbls. It's my go to grouse gun.

The late Philadelphia Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauges with modern dimensions have become quite desirable and IMHO for good reason.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pharmvet, having only seen Fox shotguns I wouldn't grade one over the other. That being said, Fox shotguns have earned a dedicated following and for good reasons. I'm a Parker fan, but Fox fans are just as assured their choice is the better. In fact, there is an annual clay competition out there someplace where they go against each other for yearly bragging rights.

Parker Vs Fox has been an ever going debate. Both are excellent examples of great American SxS's.

Last edited by battue; 04/26/17.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am a big fan of coils over leaf springs... a Philadelphia Fox by a fair margin IMO&E

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ok, I may start looking for a Fox. Looks like their production spans several years, cities and companies. What should I look for?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love a Fox and have no experience with the Parker, but if you think you might ever have to go to steel shot, the Parker Repro might be the better choice.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I had my heart set on an English stock, but I'm starting to re think that. I once had an 1100 upland special and did not care for the straight stock. I'm also thinking I may not wanted a splinter forearm. Pistol grip and beavertail forearm may make a Parker Repro cheaper??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer a pistol grip on a lightweight bird gun. I find them more comfortable to handle with one hand when making one's way through thick bird covers. I also favor splinter forends. The Parker Reproductions are a very good value. I ran into this one the other day. It's a semi-beaver tail SST, as new/unfired I have the dealers card, if you're interested.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
That is beautiful! I may change my mind, but for now I would like to find double triggers.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ok, if I were to decide on a genuine Parker Brothers shotgun.......

1) how does the DHE version compare to the Trojan model?
2) will they both have 2-1/2" chambers? And if so, can a good gunsmith safely make them 2-3/4"?
3) will a 16 ga be as light as a 20 ga?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Trojan was an economy Parker. The sides of the frame had a different shape that was easier to manufacture. The insides were the same.

They had various grades: Trojan, Vulcan. PHE, GHE. DHE, CHE, BHE, AHE, A1 Special and the holy grail "The Invincible." The D had modest scratchings the trogan none.

The HE stands for hammerless/ejectors. You didn't have to get ejectors if you didn't think them necessary. In which case you would have a DH.

There were also different grades of barrel steel. Supposedly some stronger than others. Which is debatable when it comes to practicallity.

Some will, some will not and yes they can be opened to 2-3/4inches. Or you can buy 2-1/2 shells that will work well. I have a 3in 16ga.

They made different frame sizes and they had frame numbers based on size. So a 16 could be on a 20ga frame, which would make it lighter than a normal 20ga. Or it could be on the decicated 16ga frame. Or even a 12Ga frame which would make it heavier than some 12's.

They were: 00 (28GA), 0 (20GA), 1 (light 16GA), 1.5 (light 12Ga and heavy 16ga), 2 (light 10Ga and heavy 12GA), 3 (8ga and heavy 10ga)

I couldn't remember all this, but it is in a book "Parker-America's Finest Shotgun" by Peter H. Johnson.

Last edited by battue; 04/29/17.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love SXS's and have a number of SXS's but have always been an LC Smith man myself. I do have a Browning Grade 2 that i haven't fired and Browning didn't make many of these. My grouse gun is the v. bernardelli - 12 ga. gamecock premier. Here is the Browning Grade 2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga2.jpg[/img]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's some sexy Browning!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I love SXS's and have a number of SXS's but have always been an LC Smith man myself. I do have a Browning Grade 2 that i haven't fired and Browning didn't make many of these. My grouse gun is the v. bernardelli - 12 ga. gamecock premier. Here is the Browning Grade 2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/bea175/BrowningBSSSidelock12ga2.jpg[/img]

I envy your VB Gamecock! I remember when they came out in the Gun List and just could (did) not buy one and have regretted it ever since. They were really pretty cheap and far nicer than the run of the mill doubles available for much more money. That was the mid to late '70s.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
[Linked Image]

Very nice!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.