Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks, I may be having the same issue you were in my sub loads...

I thought of filler but was scared to try it due to the suppressor. Seems you are using it with no issues...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great piece of work all around!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by Gibby
In all the loading manuals going way back from Hodgdon, Winchester (when 296 was different than H110)and Accurate Arms, they always said not to reduce loads and use "heavy for caliber" bullets for best results. Magnums primers also. It is the characteristics of the older slow ball magnum powders for straight wall cases. Blue dot also, but that powder has some erratic results. Enough to be an issue in my book.

Thanks, that's good information. Appears I need to move away from the H110. I will try some magnum primers since I have some on hand.

H-11 does perform well with to other much air space in my experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Thanks, I may be having the same issue you were in my sub loads...

I thought of filler but was scared to try it due to the suppressor. Seems you are using it with no issues...

Hey rost, I believe the spent filler will be a problem. When I dropped my mag there was approximately 2 grains (volume as compared to propellent) on top the mag and in the action. I can't imagine this much crap isn't going to FU a trigger.

When I removed the can after the 10 rounds and thumped it against a surface about 6 grains dumped out. My Silencerco Havester can not be disassembled and I fear build up. Although the spent filler was not at all sticky to the touch. I suspect the filler in the action dropped back from the can to the action.

I will continue to use this load and will post if I encounter an actual issue.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I really do not recommend using filler for loads fired through a suppressor.

Also, it appears you're getting a lot of advice in this thread from people who don't shoot 300 Blackout; that is unfortunate because it's not at all the same thing as magnum revolver loads as H110 is normally used for. The "normal" behavior of H110 in revolvers is not the same as in subsonic rifle loads. Case fill isn't that low with H110 and subsonic heavy bullets, and H110 can work very well for subsonic loads to cycle an AR. A number of people on the 300Blktalk forum use it successfully, myself included. With that said, Lil'Gun and 1680 can be better choices for subsonic loads in an AR15.

If you're not using a semi-auto though, if it's a bolt action, do yourself a favor and move to faster burn rate powders. They are quieter suppressed, and you don't need the extra gas of magnum pistol powders to cycle.

If you really want to use H110, try a different primer, and try lubing your case necks. Lubed case necks can tell you if your issue is related to neck tension.

Edit - just noticed your mention of the buffer retainer spring, so you're using an AR. Trailboss and other fast powders won't cycle the action; fine if you want really quiet loads but defeats the purpose of an AR.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/26/17.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I run the can on a bolt gun. If I have action noise from an AR I've almost defeated my purpose.

I will have to contact pufflon and my suppressor maker.

I sure would like to get the group size down and do away with first round pop... its aggravating as hell. Group size is fine as long as its supersonic.. drop below and I mean even well below, its not great. Good enough for almost 200 yards on deer from the 300/221 but I sure wished the groups were snugger....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I post on 300blktalk as Rick. I've shared this same issue and results there. Some great guys there and one shared a tremendous spreadsheet loaded with subsonic load data. I was surprised the bimodal velocity issue was not already covered given all the subsonic load development. The issue, as very well described by Dr. Oehler, should be encountered by all users under similar conditions. Would love to share a campfire with that gentleman.

I have yet to encounter any issues with filler use other than the mess. The spent filler doesn't stick to any surfaces. It easily dumps from my receiver and can. I will continue with it's use and report any issues.

Case fill is low. I cut off a case to determine the powder level and found it impossible to seat the bullet against the charge as is suggested on 300blktalk for supersonic.

Thank you for your comments.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Saga continues.

I contacted Hodgdon about loading subsonic loads in the 300 Blackout. They recommended their CFEBLK powder.

I fired two rounds and received 948 and 836 velocities. The two rounds was enough for me to believe the powder change would not address my bimodal velocity distribution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree with previous comments on not using H110/W296 for reduced loads. I've had best luck with W231 and Unique for rifle loads in the 1,000 to 1,200 fps range.

Per usual, I recommend reading this before using pistol powders in rifle cases:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/pistolpowi.htm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boise
Run the same test again but this time between shots raise your gun and tap it thus settling the powder the same way and see if there is a difference. it may just be where you powder is settling between shots . Good luck Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.