Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Valsdad, you must have some amazing deal cooking to consider moving to a place so at odds with what you think and enjoy. I just couldn't do it (or likely afford it with the new gas tax, astronomical real estate prices, and the new single-payer health plan they're cooking up). Think long and hard my friend, and not just about your bullet problem.

Thanks pappy,

Believe me, I would have preferred another place but it's not just me involved. My wife relocated for work, the rent she was paying is now reduced by $500 a month and we're buying the new place for her (me when I retire) on a 15 yr loan. We found a 3 br place with a 28x32 shop/garage, well with pump house, 5-7 cords of firewood already there, large fenced backyard, 6.89 acres only three houses past us till the county rd ends, $135K price, and the best part for me........ we're surrounded by BLM land on "three sides".

This is our view to the west from my "back" porch, the white top T posts are our property line, there's a barb wire gate just off camera to the right and a little dirt road leading to about 15 square miles or so of BLM checkerboarded in with some private. The cranes came to visit us one day this past March. I can walk out my door and be hunting in minutes.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

We're a 20 min drive outside town, 2 hours from a "big town", 3 or so to a real city. 45 mile drive or so to be in OR, large large areas of NF and BLM land, a wonderful National Wildlife Refuge with excellent duck and geese hunting, fishing is supposedly great in the area, the Warner Mountains are a short drive away.

Benefits and Drawbacks my friend. The wife doesn't want to move anymore, we've been through about 20 moves, individually and as a couple, since 1996, for work/career advancement. We're both at or near retirement age.

I had hoped to have the financial wherewithal to purchase a small plot in AZ or OR to set up my own "residency" and just visit the wife "occasionally".

We'll deal with the communistic aspects of Cali life when they arise. I'm not gonna like many of those, but I've got some really good parts to enjoy too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never done it but casting bullets out of lead free pewter(britania metal?) might be an option. Not cheap, $25-$30 per pound but 80-100 gr. .256 bullets might get you 65-80 bullets/lb.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My condolences to the Mule:

Zinc is eminently cast-able and swage-able if that's a word.

Will come out light but that's not a bad thing for pot hunting. One of the old hand loaders digests had an article about doing this for big bore rifles for deer and plinking might be able to look it up. Lead molds work fine but I think the shrinkage factor is higher so may want to go oversize and swage back down. No need for gas checks and can be loaded fairly hot before stripping or fouling occurs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Visit the wife occasionally"

Dayum. That wouldn't work for me unless I had a side chick. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

Me either. I'm old, but not ready for that "adjustment" just yet.

Valsdad, I think I could make the deal you describe work. Have to use another caliber with easy access to non-tox boolits is all.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Hey, it's not fun but it beats working a whaling vessel in the late 1800's and being gone for 3 years. Of course, those fellas had the south sea islands and such for rest and recreation. shocked

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John,

It had never occurred to me to paper patch a non-tox bullet, always thought that was a lead alloy thing. I've seen reviews and probably read something or other by you about the Cutting Edge bullets, the idea of using one of their lightweight bullets makes sense if the patching works.

I'm sure there's plenty of advice on the forum related to cast bullets and such.

I'll let you know in a bit about sending me a couple to try, lots of other things going on in life right now. Hoping it settles down in a month or so.

Geno

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tejano
My condolences to the Mule:

Zinc is eminently cast-able and swage-able if that's a word.

Will come out light but that's not a bad thing for pot hunting. One of the old hand loaders digests had an article about doing this for big bore rifles for deer and plinking might be able to look it up. Lead molds work fine but I think the shrinkage factor is higher so may want to go oversize and swage back down. No need for gas checks and can be loaded fairly hot before stripping or fouling occurs.

Tejano, thanks.

I hadn't considered zinc, now you have me wondering. I'll have to look into it as I'm not sure if it's on the "approved" list for Cali (I know, what a nightmare, eh!)

Geno

PS, y'all are gonna make my head spin if I keep getting these ideas tossed my way crazy

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Me either. I'm old, but not ready for that "adjustment" just yet.

Valsdad, I think I could make the deal you describe work. Have to use another caliber with easy access to non-tox boolits is all.

pappy,

already thinking of this as a last resort, but would really like to use those guns in those calibers for small/medium sized game. One of the guns is a very nice (and slightly expensive) revolver and I'd hate for it to mostly be used just at the range and my yearly (or nearly so) javelina hunt. To see the results and the revolver, I posted on the handgun forum in a thread about using revolvers for hunting. There's a decent pic of a javelina I took with the .256 cylinder installed.

I recently acquired a Savage 24v I will likely be using in my "backyard", it's a .222/20 g which I know I can find "lead free" ammo for or at least .22 cal bullets for reloading.

And I can neither confirm or deny I have other firearms I can use that are easier to feed than a 25-20 or .256 wink

Geno

PS, California might be "listening"...............hush now.

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The zinc article is in Handloaders digest #12. Not as easy as I had remembered. He used custom iron molds with larger sprue and had to heat the zinc to a higher temp. They also must be groove diameter or less and can't be swagged like I thought.

Couple of people used to sell them but not sure now.

There are plastic bullets in 25 cal but only good for short range. Not sure what else is available.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Tejano,

I think I'll just follow along with some of the ideas posted here and maybe wait until John talks the bullet folks into listening to us loonies that shoot other than the latest fad cartridges!

Geno

In it is contentment

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Now is the time to get the 55 grain raptors if you want to try them. Brownells has them on sale and free shipping today for any amount.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Geno,

Another possibility that occurred to me is paper-patching the .243 Cutting Edge 55-grain Raptor bullet. The Raptors are brass bullets that have a big hollow-point on one end and a flat nose on the other, so can be used either as expanding or solid bullets simply be reversing them. (The hollow-point can also be filled with a press-in plastic tip to increase BC, but that wouldn't apply here.) They're supposed to expand down to 1500 fps, and the 55 just might stabilize. If you're interested, I could send you a few if you'd like to try.

Cutting Edge also makes a 70-grain .257 Raptor but it probably wouldn't stabilize in the twists of your rifles. But the 55 .243 might, according to the old Greenhill Formula, which is more appropriate for blunt bullets at moderate velocities than the modern computer formulas, which are primarily designed for very long and streamlined high-BC bottails.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.