Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just thought of something MD, perhaps you could help.

I may be retiring to that "Western" state that has instituted an upcoming statewide ban on hunting with lead projectiles. I will therefor have a need for a lighter weight non toxic (except to the critters I shoot?) bullet than is currently available in .25 caliber (calibre for the Canuckians). There are loads of jackrabbits, a goodly number of cottontail and coyotes, Belding's ground squirrels and other game right out my back door and I'd love to be able to take my guns for a walk in the woods. It's much more fun to be able to bring them loaded and not having to worry about running afoul of the law.

I'll be using them, hopefully, in my 25-20 and .256 Win Mag firearms. My thoughts had been to get a mini-lathe and cut down some Barnes bullets (I think they have 110's and 117's?). I discussed this on Marlinowners a couple of years back and got lots of good input on their 25-20 thread.

Perhaps, in your next conversation with him, could you speak to Mr Emary about the feasibility of developing a flex-tip mono (or a flat tip?) in the 60-90 grain range? It would seem to be a good fit for a lot of lever guns, and in my case a revolver too.

There's going to be a great variety of fine firearms made useless in that state. I do understand the business end of things, if they can't sell enough to cover the tooling costs etc, it ain't going to happen. For all I know, Hornady has already looked into it.

If you can talk to Dave, it would sure be appreciated. A modern bullet for 25-20 might make sense to some folks down south for hogs too? And maybe re-invigorate the .256 (was it ever invigorated?)

Thanks,
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Barnes sells a 80gr TTSX. I'm getting over 3350 FPS in a 22" .257 Rbts.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 80 TTSX isn't going to even come close to stabilizing in the twist of a .25-20 or .256, since they're normally 1-14 or 1-16, even if it wasn't too long to function through their magazines.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The ban takes effect, in the area you most likely are mentioning, July 1 2019.

I am hoping to shoot most of my ballistic tipped Skippy ammo by then, but I need lots of help, lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From the title of the thread, I was expecting a letter from a horse/donkey cross telling her boyfriend that it was over.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

Will mention it and not just to Hornady, as non-toxics are eventually going to be required in more and more places.

In the meantime I thought of a couple alternatives. One would be to swage down Ballistic Products ITX non-toxic buckshot or roundballs to .25, since it's pretty dense stuff and while not as swageable as lead might work. If it would work, it would probably have to be taken down in 2-3 stages, but Lee Precision swaging dies are pretty cheap.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
From the title of the thread, I was expecting a letter from a horse/donkey cross telling her boyfriend that it was over.

HA HA,

But you fail to recognize, John and I are not like the majority of 'fire members ................. we can SPELL!

Had I intended that kind of letter I would have titled it
"Mule DEAR John" grin

Geno

PS, sometimes I even get the punctuation correct.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Geno,

Will mention it and not just to Hornady, as non-toxics are eventually going to be required in more and more places.

In the meantime I thought of a couple alternatives. One would be to swage down Ballistic Products ITX non-toxic buckshot or roundballs to .25, since it's pretty dense stuff and while not as swageable as lead might work. If it would work, it would probably have to be taken down in 2-3 stages, but Lee Precision swaging dies are pretty cheap.

Thanks for the support John.

And thanks for that idea about the BP ITX swaging possibilities. I imagine that could be accomplished on a single stage Lee press?

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What state?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most likely CA.... It is a cross we have to bear.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

Yep, I've used a single-stage Lee press to swage lead buckshot to use as bullets. But I've always started with buckshot just slightly larger than needed, so dunno what might happen.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Geno, If you're willing to go to the trouble of milling down Barnes bullets why not just start with over size copper rod and swage down( or turn on your mini lathe) to .256 and mill from there?

Could be a new career for your "retirement".

Last edited by SBTCO; 04/27/17.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno, I appreciate the spelling and punctuation accuracy; it was just too close to pass up. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Barnes sells a 80gr TTSX. I'm getting over 3350 FPS in a 22" .257 Rbts.

I'm with John on this idea, I had considered it but even at 4000 feet elevation I won't be launching them from the right rate of twist.

The Marlinowners thread I mentioned had some of the members showing how they might shorten a Barnes to work in the standard 25-20 barrels, it involved making a flat hollow point out of them by substantially trimming back the nose, and it might even involve trimming off some of the base to get them short enough. Then comes the experimenting to see what terminal ballistics might look like.

Thanks for the idea though,

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, as smithrjd surmised,Cali.

But a part of the state that really is about as far from SoCal/LA LA Land as one can get, physically, politically, mentally, etc.

Geno

PS, please don't hate me, like some others on here who can ONLY see bad about California. I refer to it as Kommiefornia myself sometimes, because they are SO out of touch with reality/logic in the legislature there. I grew up there, saw them attempt to legislate away "gun violence" since the early 60's and so on. I actually am glad about some of their regulations, if they hadn't passed stringent air quality rules people there would look like the Chinese in masks all day. The rest of the USA is reaping the benefit too.

PPS, there I go, trying to hijack my own thread!

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/27/17. Reason: PS, PPS

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Geno, If you're willing to go to the trouble of milling down Barnes bullets why not just start with over size copper rod and swage down( or turn on your mini lathe) to .256 and mill from there?

Could be a new career for your "retirement".

SBTCO,

good ideas, and I might check out the cutting down copper rod one. Swaging though, of something as hard as copper rod might get expensive. I looked into some equipment a while back and was shocked at the price of something for that purpose.

Cutting bullets with a lathe from copper rod might be fun, but I'd have to figure out how to come up with a nose cavity that works, or perhaps some kind of jig to score the nose so it could expand some.

I'm not a machinist (I'm a fish dude) so the learning curve for just trimming some Barnes bullets will be somewhat steep. The cost of a mini lathe is reasonable, but If John can work his magic with the bullet mfgs, I may be able to get away from buying one of the lathes even!

Thanks for the ideas folks,

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

I appreciated your humor too,

Geno

In it is contentment

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I claim no useful suggestions but my first take is that bumping up is always better than swaging down.

Maybe a Varmint Grenade or other commercial non-toxic could be used as the core with a jacket whether precision or even improvised Rock Chuck Bullet Swage style from cartridge case necks?? to bring the diameter up with a short OAL?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

Another possibility that occurred to me is paper-patching the .243 Cutting Edge 55-grain Raptor bullet. The Raptors are brass bullets that have a big hollow-point on one end and a flat nose on the other, so can be used either as expanding or solid bullets simply be reversing them. (The hollow-point can also be filled with a press-in plastic tip to increase BC, but that wouldn't apply here.) They're supposed to expand down to 1500 fps, and the 55 just might stabilize. If you're interested, I could send you a few if you'd like to try.

Cutting Edge also makes a 70-grain .257 Raptor but it probably wouldn't stabilize in the twists of your rifles. But the 55 .243 might, according to the old Greenhill Formula, which is more appropriate for blunt bullets at moderate velocities than the modern computer formulas, which are primarily designed for very long and streamlined high-BC bottails.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Valsdad, you must have some amazing deal cooking to consider moving to a place so at odds with what you think and enjoy. I just couldn't do it (or likely afford it with the new gas tax, astronomical real estate prices, and the new single-payer health plan they're cooking up). Think long and hard my friend, and not just about your bullet problem.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Valsdad, you must have some amazing deal cooking to consider moving to a place so at odds with what you think and enjoy. I just couldn't do it (or likely afford it with the new gas tax, astronomical real estate prices, and the new single-payer health plan they're cooking up). Think long and hard my friend, and not just about your bullet problem.

Thanks pappy,

Believe me, I would have preferred another place but it's not just me involved. My wife relocated for work, the rent she was paying is now reduced by $500 a month and we're buying the new place for her (me when I retire) on a 15 yr loan. We found a 3 br place with a 28x32 shop/garage, well with pump house, 5-7 cords of firewood already there, large fenced backyard, 6.89 acres only three houses past us till the county rd ends, $135K price, and the best part for me........ we're surrounded by BLM land on "three sides".

This is our view to the west from my "back" porch, the white top T posts are our property line, there's a barb wire gate just off camera to the right and a little dirt road leading to about 15 square miles or so of BLM checkerboarded in with some private. The cranes came to visit us one day this past March. I can walk out my door and be hunting in minutes.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

We're a 20 min drive outside town, 2 hours from a "big town", 3 or so to a real city. 45 mile drive or so to be in OR, large large areas of NF and BLM land, a wonderful National Wildlife Refuge with excellent duck and geese hunting, fishing is supposedly great in the area, the Warner Mountains are a short drive away.

Benefits and Drawbacks my friend. The wife doesn't want to move anymore, we've been through about 20 moves, individually and as a couple, since 1996, for work/career advancement. We're both at or near retirement age.

I had hoped to have the financial wherewithal to purchase a small plot in AZ or OR to set up my own "residency" and just visit the wife "occasionally".

We'll deal with the communistic aspects of Cali life when they arise. I'm not gonna like many of those, but I've got some really good parts to enjoy too.

Geno

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never done it but casting bullets out of lead free pewter(britania metal?) might be an option. Not cheap, $25-$30 per pound but 80-100 gr. .256 bullets might get you 65-80 bullets/lb.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My condolences to the Mule:

Zinc is eminently cast-able and swage-able if that's a word.

Will come out light but that's not a bad thing for pot hunting. One of the old hand loaders digests had an article about doing this for big bore rifles for deer and plinking might be able to look it up. Lead molds work fine but I think the shrinkage factor is higher so may want to go oversize and swage back down. No need for gas checks and can be loaded fairly hot before stripping or fouling occurs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Visit the wife occasionally"

Dayum. That wouldn't work for me unless I had a side chick. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

Me either. I'm old, but not ready for that "adjustment" just yet.

Valsdad, I think I could make the deal you describe work. Have to use another caliber with easy access to non-tox boolits is all.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Hey, it's not fun but it beats working a whaling vessel in the late 1800's and being gone for 3 years. Of course, those fellas had the south sea islands and such for rest and recreation. shocked

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John,

It had never occurred to me to paper patch a non-tox bullet, always thought that was a lead alloy thing. I've seen reviews and probably read something or other by you about the Cutting Edge bullets, the idea of using one of their lightweight bullets makes sense if the patching works.

I'm sure there's plenty of advice on the forum related to cast bullets and such.

I'll let you know in a bit about sending me a couple to try, lots of other things going on in life right now. Hoping it settles down in a month or so.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tejano
My condolences to the Mule:

Zinc is eminently cast-able and swage-able if that's a word.

Will come out light but that's not a bad thing for pot hunting. One of the old hand loaders digests had an article about doing this for big bore rifles for deer and plinking might be able to look it up. Lead molds work fine but I think the shrinkage factor is higher so may want to go oversize and swage back down. No need for gas checks and can be loaded fairly hot before stripping or fouling occurs.

Tejano, thanks.

I hadn't considered zinc, now you have me wondering. I'll have to look into it as I'm not sure if it's on the "approved" list for Cali (I know, what a nightmare, eh!)

Geno

PS, y'all are gonna make my head spin if I keep getting these ideas tossed my way crazy

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Me either. I'm old, but not ready for that "adjustment" just yet.

Valsdad, I think I could make the deal you describe work. Have to use another caliber with easy access to non-tox boolits is all.

pappy,

already thinking of this as a last resort, but would really like to use those guns in those calibers for small/medium sized game. One of the guns is a very nice (and slightly expensive) revolver and I'd hate for it to mostly be used just at the range and my yearly (or nearly so) javelina hunt. To see the results and the revolver, I posted on the handgun forum in a thread about using revolvers for hunting. There's a decent pic of a javelina I took with the .256 cylinder installed.

I recently acquired a Savage 24v I will likely be using in my "backyard", it's a .222/20 g which I know I can find "lead free" ammo for or at least .22 cal bullets for reloading.

And I can neither confirm or deny I have other firearms I can use that are easier to feed than a 25-20 or .256 wink

Geno

PS, California might be "listening"...............hush now.

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The zinc article is in Handloaders digest #12. Not as easy as I had remembered. He used custom iron molds with larger sprue and had to heat the zinc to a higher temp. They also must be groove diameter or less and can't be swagged like I thought.

Couple of people used to sell them but not sure now.

There are plastic bullets in 25 cal but only good for short range. Not sure what else is available.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Tejano,

I think I'll just follow along with some of the ideas posted here and maybe wait until John talks the bullet folks into listening to us loonies that shoot other than the latest fad cartridges!

Geno

In it is contentment

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Now is the time to get the 55 grain raptors if you want to try them. Brownells has them on sale and free shipping today for any amount.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Geno,

Another possibility that occurred to me is paper-patching the .243 Cutting Edge 55-grain Raptor bullet. The Raptors are brass bullets that have a big hollow-point on one end and a flat nose on the other, so can be used either as expanding or solid bullets simply be reversing them. (The hollow-point can also be filled with a press-in plastic tip to increase BC, but that wouldn't apply here.) They're supposed to expand down to 1500 fps, and the 55 just might stabilize. If you're interested, I could send you a few if you'd like to try.

Cutting Edge also makes a 70-grain .257 Raptor but it probably wouldn't stabilize in the twists of your rifles. But the 55 .243 might, according to the old Greenhill Formula, which is more appropriate for blunt bullets at moderate velocities than the modern computer formulas, which are primarily designed for very long and streamlined high-BC bottails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.