Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Let me throw one more wrinkle into the thread. I prefer a 24" tube, but have nothing against a 26" barrel. I realize the 28" gives the maximum sight plane, but is there any appreciable difference between a 24" barrel and 28"?

There is, but it is primarily balance and the extra weight out front to "help" you with swing/follow through. As for sighting plane, you already have an extra 3 plus inches for the receiver, so a 24" Benelli is roughly the same "sight plane" as a 28" o/u or SxS. For strictly waterfowl I prefer the 28" on a Benelli, but if it were mostly going to be for turkey and upland, I would go 24" or 26"; the shorter if mostly turkey, the longer if mostly upland.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In general, yes, gas-operated autos are softer to shoot because they weigh more and ARE gas-operated. The only time I can think of this as a potential issue is if I was shooting competition and a100 or many more rounds a day.

In the uplands, IMO, its a completely empty argument and to claim Berettas are more reliable than Ben's is completely ridiculous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I will also add after fifty years of wing shooting the so-called "longer sight plane" of longer barrels makes some sense while in the easy chair at the typewriter (this was espoused in the sixties already), I have found longer barrels slower, heavier, and not one feather more effective than, say, a 24" tube.

At least for me. Upland shooting usually requires quickness but then I'm a "snap-shooter" not a point-and-swing guy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I do always get a bit of a chuckle out of the quotes of 50k rounds thru this or that gun. I am reminded about JOC comments on worrying about shooting a rifle barrel out and the cost of the shells to do that. At roughly $250 per thousand for relatively cheap shells 50k shells is 8 grand or more compared to the cost of the gun.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I will also add after fifty years of wing shooting the so-called "longer sight plane" of longer barrels makes some sense while in the easy chair at the typewriter (this was espoused in the sixties already), I have found longer barrels slower, heavier, and not one feather more effective than, say, a 24" tube.

At least for me. Upland shooting usually requires quickness but then I'm a "snap-shooter" not a point-and-swing guy.

Agree with everything you said here George. If this is a partridge/quail/chukar gun, go 24". The 26" adds a little extra weight out front to help with follow through if long crossing pheasants are your thing. I do a decent amount of pass shooting, so I do like the 28" for that. The 26" strikes a very nice balance on the 20 gauge Benelli.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

That said the Beretta A400s are pretty darn nice guns but much more complex running a gas system at 7 lbs+ and mine got very sooty after a short season. The Benelli inertia-drivens can be stripped down to parts pretty quickly and much more thoroughly cleaned with less effort IMO.

George not singling you out specifically, but I hear the above statement often and I quoted yours so I didn't have to type it again.

For the below, let's assume a guy cleans his shotgun at the beginning of dove season and wants to shoot it until the end of Dec/Jan/Feb when upland/waterfowl close depending on your locale. Short of filling the thing up with mud/muck crawling or dropping it hunting waterfowl, even exceptionally avid hunters will be able to run either shotgun an entire season with little likelihood that they'll need to disassemble for any cleaning due to poor feed/function. If you go out and get rained/snowed on, you've got to pull them both apart and clean them.

Yes Benelli's bolt comes apart easy. Big deal, none of the parts in the bolt being "shooting dirty" are what cause feed/function failures.

Yes the Berettas get dirty under the forearm. The piston, it's chamber, and the stem that the piston runs on get dirty, but again, from just shooting them normally, none of that sooty fouling makes any difference, it's not going to detract appreciably from feed/function.

Here's a breakdown of the field-stripped Benelli parts in roughly the order they come out:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. frame, 5. bolt handle, 6. firing pin retainer, 7. locking head pin, 8. firing pin, 9. bolt head, 10. inertia spring, 11. bolt body, 12. trigger group retainer pin, 13. trigger group. You need to remember how to re-assemble 13 parts. One can argue that on the split-top/bottom guns like SBE/Vinci that the trigger group can remain in the frame but on the S-90 and Monte, the've got to come out to get the bolt's tail seated properly.

Beretta field stripped parts list:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. gas piston, 5. operating rod, 6. bolt handle, 7/8. bolt (2 pieces once out), 9. frame, 10. trigger group, 11. trigger group retainer pin.

So, give or take, you've got the same number of parts that need to come out/in for a field-stripping/cleaning. Here's the thing, if either a Benelli or a Beretta is having function issues, it's unlikely that any of the above parts/pieces are the main culprit. The main culprit is almost ALWAYS the recoil return spring in the butt-stock. Cleaning that is essentially the same for both shotguns. Pull the pad, pull the butt-stock, put a little heat on the threaded recoil return spring/butt-stock retainer and unscrew. Take care near the end of the threads or you'll shoot the spring and bolt-tail seat across the room and under some piece of furniture or appliance that hasn't been moved since Nixon was president. Then you'll have to deal with 3' dust bunnies that United Airlines couldn't kill.

Here's where the shotguns differ appreciably IMO. Rarely is a shotgun so dirty that there is a failure to eject. Typically failure to Feed/Function happens on the forward stroke. The Recoil Return Spring (RRS) in the stocks of both are truly the heart of both actions. Slow either of them down due to cleanliness or neglect and you can clean the dozen or so action parts listed above for each all you want, the SOB still won't cycle properly. The Benelli RRS is significantly "softer" or of less tension than the Beretta. Take a new example of each, pull the bolt back and let it slam forward and it's pretty obvious which spring is stiffer. The Benelli spring HAS TO BE softer in order to allow it to cycle "everything" because it's relying on only recoil. The Beretta can be a lot stiffer because it's using the gas in conjunction with recoil to cycle. That softer RRS in the Benelli NEEDS attention more often to ensure proper Feed/Function. The stiffer spring in the Beretta also contributes to longer overall life IMO. The softer spring in the Benelli allows it to beat itself to death with prolonged use of heavy loads whereas the Beretta bolt hits the open end of it's stroke much softer due to compressing a much stiffer RRS spring.

Yes I am a "Beretta Guy" but I believe I came by it honest via an awful lot of field and target shooting Beretta, Benelli, Rem 1100's/11-87's, Browning gold/Win SX's, original A-5's/Franchi 48's, and even a couple of S&W 1000's. 5yrs in a busy gunshop (3k guns/yr give or take) during college also gave me a glimpse of what needed to be fixed and what didn't.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Beretta has to be a lot stiffer
The reciprocating mass (wt) of the Beretta bolt/carrier is significantly greater, requiring more lbs of force to overcome the inertia. Its slamming shut doesn't really mean it closes better.

the spring lbs of force between the two is about the same if viewed as unit of weight bolt/lbs of force of spring

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1

That said the Beretta A400s are pretty darn nice guns but much more complex running a gas system at 7 lbs+ and mine got very sooty after a short season. The Benelli inertia-drivens can be stripped down to parts pretty quickly and much more thoroughly cleaned with less effort IMO.

George not singling you out specifically, but I hear the above statement often and I quoted yours so I didn't have to type it again.

For the below, let's assume a guy cleans his shotgun at the beginning of dove season and wants to shoot it until the end of Dec/Jan/Feb when upland/waterfowl close depending on your locale. Short of filling the thing up with mud/muck crawling or dropping it hunting waterfowl, even exceptionally avid hunters will be able to run either shotgun an entire season with little likelihood that they'll need to disassemble for any cleaning due to poor feed/function. If you go out and get rained/snowed on, you've got to pull them both apart and clean them.

Yes Benelli's bolt comes apart easy. Big deal, none of the parts in the bolt being "shooting dirty" are what cause feed/function failures.

Yes the Berettas get dirty under the forearm. The piston, it's chamber, and the stem that the piston runs on get dirty, but again, from just shooting them normally, none of that sooty fouling makes any difference, it's not going to detract appreciably from feed/function.

Here's a breakdown of the field-stripped Benelli parts in roughly the order they come out:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. frame, 5. bolt handle, 6. firing pin retainer, 7. locking head pin, 8. firing pin, 9. bolt head, 10. inertia spring, 11. bolt body, 12. trigger group retainer pin, 13. trigger group. You need to remember how to re-assemble 13 parts. One can argue that on the split-top/bottom guns like SBE/Vinci that the trigger group can remain in the frame but on the S-90 and Monte, the've got to come out to get the bolt's tail seated properly.

Beretta field stripped parts list:

1. bbl nut, 2. bbl, 3. forearm, 4. gas piston, 5. operating rod, 6. bolt handle, 7/8. bolt (2 pieces once out), 9. frame, 10. trigger group, 11. trigger group retainer pin.

So, give or take, you've got the same number of parts that need to come out/in for a field-stripping/cleaning. Here's the thing, if either a Benelli or a Beretta is having function issues, it's unlikely that any of the above parts/pieces are the main culprit. The main culprit is almost ALWAYS the recoil return spring in the butt-stock. Cleaning that is essentially the same for both shotguns. Pull the pad, pull the butt-stock, put a little heat on the threaded recoil return spring/butt-stock retainer and unscrew. Take care near the end of the threads or you'll shoot the spring and bolt-tail seat across the room and under some piece of furniture or appliance that hasn't been moved since Nixon was president. Then you'll have to deal with 3' dust bunnies that United Airlines couldn't kill.

Here's where the shotguns differ appreciably IMO. Rarely is a shotgun so dirty that there is a failure to eject. Typically failure to Feed/Function happens on the forward stroke. The Recoil Return Spring (RRS) in the stocks of both are truly the heart of both actions. Slow either of them down due to cleanliness or neglect and you can clean the dozen or so action parts listed above for each all you want, the SOB still won't cycle properly. The Benelli RRS is significantly "softer" or of less tension than the Beretta. Take a new example of each, pull the bolt back and let it slam forward and it's pretty obvious which spring is stiffer. The Benelli spring HAS TO BE softer in order to allow it to cycle "everything" because it's relying on only recoil. The Beretta can be a lot stiffer because it's using the gas in conjunction with recoil to cycle. That softer RRS in the Benelli NEEDS attention more often to ensure proper Feed/Function. The stiffer spring in the Beretta also contributes to longer overall life IMO. The softer spring in the Benelli allows it to beat itself to death with prolonged use of heavy loads whereas the Beretta bolt hits the open end of it's stroke much softer due to compressing a much stiffer RRS spring.

Yes I am a "Beretta Guy" but I believe I came by it honest via an awful lot of field and target shooting Beretta, Benelli, Rem 1100's/11-87's, Browning gold/Win SX's, original A-5's/Franchi 48's, and even a couple of S&W 1000's. 5yrs in a busy gunshop (3k guns/yr give or take) during college also gave me a glimpse of what needed to be fixed and what didn't.

Well said and good info I believe. My Beretta A400 never failed but as you say it looked like the inside of a chimney under the forend.

I'll admit as I've stated many times before weight is a priority issue with me and while I'd have no qualms about sitting in a blind with a seven pound+ s-a gun but when it comes traipsing one field after another all day I'll go to the lighter shotgun every time assuming it's something nice to look at and completely dependable. The same goes for rifles with me.

BTW, both of my better SxS are Berettas.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Etoh
The reciprocating mass (wt) of the Beretta bolt/carrier is significantly greater, requiring more lbs of force to overcome the inertia. Its slamming shut doesn't really mean it closes better.

the spring lbs of force between the two is about the same if viewed as unit of weight bolt/lbs of force of spring

When the weather gets cold, the Berettas cycle better and it's due to the stiffer RRS. The Benellis just plain get too slow to cycle. I was catching my stride with a shotgun as CRP was in its infancy in my native ND and I've never left. I've seen nearly every manner of shotgun fail. Beretta fails less.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Etoh

When the weather gets cold, the Berettas cycle better and it's due to the stiffer RRS. The Benellis just plain get too slow to cycle. I was catching my stride with a shotgun as CRP was in its infancy in my native ND and I've never left. I've seen nearly every manner of shotgun fail. Beretta fails less.

This is exactly what happens to our duck hunting group this year. We hunted for two days in 15 to 18 degree temperatures, pushing our equipment and ourselves to the max. All three Berettas ran great. The Benellis shot pretty well too, but they certainly had more issues. Their actions got slow and feeding became somewhat of a problem. This is the second time that that we have seen this.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well I've hunted in -15 wind chills (at least) with two different Bens several different times and they certainly didn't slow up though I might have. In fact in SD last winter hunted in a semi-blizzard with various other semi's slowing -- failed to fully eject -- but no Benelli acted up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've predator hunted my old Benelli M1 in temperatures in the teens with nearly a 1/4" of ice frozen on the gun from freezing drizzle throughout a long cold day. When the shot came at a called coyote the M1 fired, ejected and fed just like it always does. I've owned that H&K imported M1S90 for over twenty years and hunted it in hot dusty conditions, pouring rain, freezing cold, ice and snow and it's been flawless. In fact, I have two of those M1's and have yet to have a malfunction of any sort in either one. My experience...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd have to agree with horse1 on this topic, even though I choose to run a Benelli every time. The Benelli will get slowed down by cold weather before a Beretta will, given equal maintenance.

What I've done is to forget about the weak spring in the Benelli so that it can run light loads, as all my hunting loads are 1 1/8 ounce or heavier at high velocities whether lead or steel. As such, it is simple to put in a Wolff extra power spring in the buttstock and get more spring power for closing without beating the gun up on the back end.

Equipped that way, I'll take the inertia action every time, as I have found them far more tolerant of dry dust than a Beretta or Browning. Dry dust from field goose hunting is what I've seen shut down more autos than anything wet or cold. Always on the return stroke, not closing all the way.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Very good information here but it's a shame that all of this is about which Italian shotgun is so much better than any American shotgun.
The same is true with O/U shotguns.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm an old pump guy, and don't plan to change. Wingmasters make me feel the world is a good place. That said, my sharptail hunting buddy has a 20 gauge Benelli. And it is one great bird gun. We sometimes trade shotguns for an hour or so and it points great, swings great, and I've never seen it malfunction...cause it doesn't smile.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd have to agree with horse1 on this topic, even though I choose to run a Benelli every time. The Benelli will get slowed down by cold weather before a Beretta will, given equal maintenance.

What I've done is to forget about the weak spring in the Benelli so that it can run light loads, as all my hunting loads are 1 1/8 ounce or heavier at high velocities whether lead or steel. As such, it is simple to put in a Wolff extra power spring in the buttstock and get more spring power for closing without beating the gun up on the back end.

Equipped that way, I'll take the inertia action every time, as I have found them far more tolerant of dry dust than a Beretta or Browning. Dry dust from field goose hunting is what I've seen shut down more autos than anything wet or cold. Always on the return stroke, not closing all the way.

That stiffer spring slows recoil down before it gets to your shoulder as well, it's a very good thing, just takes most target loads off the table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think the bottom line is as is evident here, there are some very good semi-auto's and it often comes down to one's experience and preferences. And those can change too as experience grows and different models appear.

I'll admit to biases against most American made shotguns for several reasons, with a few exceptions, including the semi-autos -- there is no close competition here for the Big Two from Italy IMO but that's what makes a horse race.

Good luck with your choice.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I think the bottom line is as is evident here, there are some very good semi-auto's and it often comes down to one's experience and preferences. And those can change too as experience grows and different models appear.

I'll admit to biases against most American made shotguns for several reasons, with a few exceptions, including the semi-autos -- there is no close competition here for the Big Two from Italy IMO but that's what makes a horse race.

Good luck with your choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gas system on the 11-87 Sportsman's Field Model is designed for heavier loads? I hadn't really considered it for my purpose, but while we're on the subject of American shotguns, I thought I'd ask.

I appreciate all the discussion, it's given me a lot to think about, but at the end of the day, I think it will come down to a gas-operated Beretta or the inertia system of the Benelli; both are going to serve my purpose and outlast me at this point, so it will boil-down to ergonomics. Heading back to Cabela's within a week or two to shoulder a few more.......hoping the Benelli Ultra Light fits.

ETA: I do want to have a look at the Franchi Affinity as well.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/02/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have two semi auto 12 guage shotguns.

A Benelli M2 and a Weatherby SA-08. I cant tell a lick of difference in recoil between the two, the SA 08 being a gas gun.

The Weatherby was under 500 bucks, and has worked flawlessly. When the M2 starts slowing down, I hose if off with some WD40 and it picks right up.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If WD-40 works for you, fine, but I've found that it is not a great gun lubricant......the carrier dries up and it leaves a gummy residue behind. I'll use it in an emergency but not as regular gun maintenance. Some of the newer synthetic gun lubes work better, and I've had good luck with plain old silicone lube.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.