Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Local haunt has a 10FP 20" Heavy barrel w/ accu-trigger in .308.
Xcellent condition with plain jane factory stock and no glass or rings.
I am looking for a basic no frills 500 yard bolt gun that won't require a second mortgage.

$500 OTD seems like steal but I don't want a dinosaur that isn't made anymore and yes I am well aware that the hardware only takes you halfway.

Brad

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine is an older 26" barreled version, and it shoots amazingly!

Get some Varget, Lapua brass, BR2s and 155 Scenars and you'll be set.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
500 yd bolt-gun for what purpose?

For general hunting I'd want something lighter.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
500 yd bolt-gun for what purpose?

For general hunting I'd want something lighter.

Sorry I was so wishy-washy. I needed not wanted a decent .308 heavy barrel bolt action rifle for a limited purpose such as defeating cover and denying a known area of operation with general hunting being the last of my requirements but allowing it to overlap for that in a pinch.
Since Uncle Sam isn't buying my gear anymore I was looking at dare I say the cheapest alternative without winding up with crap and the last thing I wanted to do is horse trade my way up to several thousand dollars in a precision rifle package. Maybe I am expecting a miracle.
Caliber is non negotiable as is action.

My generic question was concerning any personal experience with this particular model because I am aware Savage has a great reputation but as stated in the OP the 10FP is a discontinued model.

Last edited by krupp; 04/26/17.

krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm
Mine is an older 26" barreled version, and it shoots amazingly!

Get some Varget, Lapua brass, BR2s and 155 Scenars and you'll be set.

Thx for the scoop.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If it's anything like the one my buddy had you'll be raising the stock price of your favorite copper solvent manufacturer.

krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
If it's anything like the one my buddy had you'll be raising the stock price of your favorite copper solvent manufacturer.

Help an old man out. It was so good that he shot the schit out of it or it shot like schit ....

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by krupp

Help an old man out. It was so good that he shot the schit out of it or it shot like schit ....

I'm biased, IMHO - get out your wallet, pay the man, and run -don't walk - out of the door with the rifle. If you want a budget .308 that will most likely be MOA out of the gate, that is a strong candidate.

The Model 10FP is one of the general best sleeper values in the evil "Black Rifle" . Check the prices on Gunbroker, that Model isn't getting cheaper. Savage introduced it to compete with the horde of Remington's PSS, and the Winchester (forget the name) at a better price point.

I have the precursor, Model 110FP, it's an MOA rifle any day, sub-if I pay attention. I don't have groups to post, so it's just internet rumor at this point.

The bad on the rifle - the forearm in the stock is very weak, the weight of the rifle will push the forearm up onto the barrel with a bipod. Finding a good after-market stock is not hard, but cheap is. The back receiver mounting area is flat, most scope bases offered for the Model 10 are round. You have to pay attention when ordering a mount for it.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/26/17. Reason: I have 110FP
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

It was a super heavy copper fouler. Savage barrels are often foulers, the one my friend had was the big daddy of fouling. The bore surface looked like the barrel had been made by rolling up a rasp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have one in .223. with a weaver 4.5-16 on it it will put little tiny bullets in one little tiny hole at 100 yards and a slightly larger hole at 150 as long as i feed it. don't matter what weight bullet, make of brass, type of powder all go to the same place. i have been shooting for close to 60 years now and this is the most accurate rifle i have ever had.
i like it

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AH64guy

I'm biased, IMHO - get out your wallet, pay the man, and run -don't walk - out of the door with the rifle. If you want a budget .308 that will most likely be MOA out of the gate, that is a strong candidate.

This. I have the 10 FCP-K. 155 SMKs and 165 A-max shoot 1/2" and under all day. My buddy bought the same thing, and it shoots as good as mine.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It was a super heavy copper fouler. Savage barrels are often foulers, the one my friend had was the big daddy of fouling. The bore surface looked like the barrel had been made by rolling up a rasp.
On the other hand, my Savage .223 fouls the least of all my bolt action rifles, including my Tikka 595 .243, Ruger 77 Hawkeye .30-06, Weatherby Vanguard .308 and T/C venture .22-250.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a believer in Savage rifles. I am not sure that the price on the 10FP isn't a little high. If you have. Cabela's nearby, check out their exclusive 10T. I love mine, and while it retails for $599, and currently has a $100 mail in rebate available, and it is brand new. It has the Accustock and a 5R rifled barrel that is easy to clean and mine is very accurate. It does come with a 24" barrel, but the rebate offer extends to any of their model 10 Tactical models.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles%7C/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-arms-model-t-tactical-bolt-action-rifle/1695199.uts

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've never seen a heavy barrel savage that wouldn't shoot lights out. A remington will need at a minimum $100 invested in the trigger to make it shootable, then it may or may not shoot well. A heavy barreled accutrigger savage is almost guaranteed to shoot and the trigger is usable without replacement.

krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks one and all for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Brad

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a 10FP, 20". [Linked Image]
To my knowledge the only thing different on mine is I bought it w/ a duramaxx stock, used. The rest is factory. Call Savage w/ the serial number. There's a good chance it'll have the target accutrigger, and a match grade 1-10 twist barrel like mine. I'd say for $500 you're going to be happy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.