Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Or, it's spring and an old man's fancy turns to thoughts of new motorcycles, part too.

Picked up a 2017 Yamaha FZ07 sport bike today and if it can be described in three words, those would be FUN FUN FUN. 689cc vertical twin, 400 pounds wet, 75 hp and flat torque curve around 50 ft/lbs throughout the rpm range. Not so powerful to get me in trouble but plenty of go for the highway and local canyons, plus this thing handles like a dream. It has a more upright seating position than a super sport with those low clip on handlebars but it's not up straight, it's really just perfect for me. With the light weight and sport bike geometry it is just as maneuverable and nimble as I could want.

Had a Honda CB500X, an "adventure bike" and while it was a great re-learner, it just never felt that sure footed on the highway. When you leaned into a 45 mph (posted) corner it would say to me, "uh, maybe you better obey that speed limit". This new one says, "are you kiddin' me?!" Really, I have no death wish and don't try to see how fast I can bomb around corners but this thing is rock solid. From the dealership I immediately headed out to our local twisty run, Idaho 21 for those in the area, and it tracked those corners with an assurance the Honda just never had. Plus it has lots more get up and go than the old one - twist the throttle anywhere from 3500 rpm on up in any gear and it pulls away strong. It reminds me more than anything of my old Norton 750 Commando but more powerful and about 100 times more refined.

We might get old but we're never too old to play with new toys... wink

Me giving my verdict on the new motorcycle. The color coordination wasn't by accident, I figured I had to get a red and black bike since I already had the red and black jacket. It's no different than buying a new rifle because you already have a box of ammo for it...

[Linked Image]

Glamour shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This odometer reading didn't last long at all.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Get thee behind me Jim. 😉

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not "My cup of tea",", but it would be a dull world indeed if we all like the same things.

Enjoy, and ride safely!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Woooooweeeee! Nice one! Have fun but be safe!!

LOL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a beauty!

I rode a buddy's FZ1 a month ago and it felt solid and refined as you described.
The riding posture is perfect with your feet underneath your weight as you lean forward just enough, very similar to my old ZRX.

I sold my ZRX a few weeks ago and I was doing fine, then you post those pics, OOohhhh! cry

Congrats!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Great looking bike but no place to strap a walker. grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you! smile

Enjoy!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good for you, will keep you young in mind and spirit!

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like a fun bike!
I moved from a BMW 1200 GS to a Goldwing last year mainly because my wife rides with me more than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised what a fun bike the Goldwing is for all it's size.
Drive safe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to see you are at least wearing a full face and a jacket. Have fun and be careful.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice.

Fit is very important, how tall are you. I am 6'4 so I settled for a KLR 650

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FVA
That looks like a fun bike!
I moved from a BMW 1200 GS to a Goldwing last year mainly because my wife rides with me more than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised what a fun bike the Goldwing is for all it's size.
Drive safe

i always wantd a bmw, but bought the wing a few years ago cause of wife.
I don't think there is anything better if you are thinking interstate, they are built on a grand prix idea.
having said that, heavy and a dog at slow speeds.
The problem with all of this is ol geezers that started riding bikes years ago can't get it totally out of their blood.
i have wanted a klr650 for years.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine is a BMW K1200RS, Gave the Ducati Multistrada to my son.. One is never to old.. However my knees are going out so dirt bike days are limited now. LOL

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

My new toy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice ride, hope you have a fun time with it.
Back when I turned 60 I said to the wife it's time for me to have some fun. I said either this or a Harley, well this won out. 12 years later I still have it and enjoy it as much as when it was brand new.
Growing old doesn't mean you can't have fun.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The rack for the walker is on order - so many geezers buying kid's bikes they couldn't keep them in stock. wink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Still have an 1970 MGB Roadster in the garage, it will be restored. Actually a runner but I want it perfect thinking I have one more restoration in me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I never was a real tall fellow, used to be 5' 11" but a neurologist took two inches from my spine a few years ago, still have a 30" inseam.

It's interesting how subtle changes in dimensions make a big difference in feel. With the Honda I couldn't quite get both feet flat on the ground at a stop. The seat height on this is only .1" lower than the Honda CB500 - 31.7" vs. 31.8 - but since the saddle is narrower at the front I can sit perfectly flat footed. The pegs are a tad higher so it gives a slightly more aggressive seating position but not tiring at all, I rode it for an hour and half right off the dealer's lot and didn't feel tired or the least bit cramped. Just had it out for another 45 minutes after dinner tooling around the neighborhood and it's super easy to ride.

The center of gravity difference is what's really notable. Now that I've been riding a different bike I can see how the old one was top heavy, that's what made it feel so unsure in the corners. This one just wants to lean and lean some more and goes right where you point it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jbmi
Nice ride, hope you have a fun time with it.
Back when I turned 60 I said to the wife it's time for me to have some fun. I said either this or a Harley, well this won out. 12 years later I still have it and enjoy it as much as when it was brand new.
Growing old doesn't mean you can't have fun.
[Linked Image]

That is the way I feel about my newest toy. Plan to keep it til I die.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those are gorgeous cars, I think they'd give my poor Honda CR-V an inferiority complex if I put one like those in the garage next to it. wink This morning I had a guest at the range who wanted to try a couple of my handguns to help him decide which one to get. He's a co-worker around 58 years old, I think, and he drives a new Ford Mustang GT. He said he grins like a kid in a candy store every time he gets on the highway where he can open it up.

One compensation for growing older is you usually have enough money to buy the toys you always wanted when you were young and didn't have much money. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.